Mentally what type of distance runner are you?

Options
valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
Hi all, just trying to make sense of how my head can rule my running sometimes, particularly on longer events.

For 10ks, I am normally quite perky and happy I bang lots of them out each year and always finish smiling and happy.

Half marathons, I think may be my favourite distance. I only ever once had a bit of a meltdown - it was at mile ten of a local half, I literally gave up said I can't do this and started walking. Only another runner stopped saw me struggling and literally talked me over the next three miles I don't think I would have ran another race. It was a lovely thing he did that day, although we went at it a steady clip he most definately gave up his much better time to run with me, another example of how runners support each other.

I have done lots of halfs since and although I may have had the odd wobble more or less I am fine.

Now the reason for my post I did my 4th marathon recently, I don't tend to have great confidence in myself but I have great faith in a training plan - ie. I followed a plan to get me in at 4.15, plan B was 4.30 .

Being Irish I'm not used to training in heat, and it was a very hot day but all was fine, the first 20 miles went by easily despite heat, the next 6.2 were fine physically , the plan came off perfectly - negative split in three mins early at 4.12 but it was a such a huge mental battle!

I had read an article the week before written by a guy who had run 100 marathons in 100 days, he is currently running 60 ultra's in 60 days, anyway he said having a mantra helps and to keep the mindset positive. So I spent that last 10k repeating to myself 'I've got this, I've got this, relax, relax..' And I did, but I was completely drained after it, for a week I couldn't rouse myself at all; instead of being delighted I was really low. I did a half marathon nice and slow the following week and it was only after that I felt restored to my normal self and out of the doldrums.

I know a few runners who left the marathon I did that day ( Derry) and drove to the far end of the country and did Cork the next day, no bother to them. I would love to be able to do it and physically maybe at some stage I could but I just don't think mentally I would ever be fit for that huge challenge.

How do other people coax themselves over those tough miles and then sign up for another?

P.S. I have already signed up for another marathon but it is a few months away, I'm going to have some fun trying other things first.

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    valentine4 wrote: »
    I know a few runners who left the marathon I did that day ( Derry) and drove to the far end of the country and did Cork the next day, no bother to them. I would love to be able to do it and physically maybe at some stage I could but I just don't think mentally I would ever be fit for that huge challenge.

How do other people coax themselves over those tough miles and then sign up for another?

First of all, you need to be aware that there is a big difference between running a marathon and racing a marathon, where I am loosely defining "racing" as running the race with the intention of achieving your best possible time. Very few people "race" back to back marathons, so your friends that did the back to back Derry and Cork marathons probably did not put forth the same level of effort you are referring to in both races.

It is not uncommon to struggle through the end of a race when you are giving it your all. When I am racing a marathon, I usually spend the final miles telling myself "Just keep running, just keep running", meaning that I need to forget about how much longer I need to run or how good it would feel to stop and just keep doing exactly what I had trained to do for the last 3-4 months and put one foot in front of the other until I hit that finish line.

It is also not uncommon to find yourself in a slump or unmotivated after a marathon. After all, this race has likely been the focus of all of your free time for the past several months. It takes a lot out of you. The fact that you've already signed up for another indicates that you already know that this feeling is temporary and you will eventually get your motivation back to go out and do it again. I don't think that feeling ever goes away as long as you are focusing on improvement with each race. Because the effort you put into training is massive.

Yes, there are many people out there that run marathons seemingly every weekend and finish with a smile on their face and go out and do it all over again the next weekend. But you also have to consider what went into their training and what their goal was for each race. Most of these people have already achieved their PRs or never really cared about it in the first place. I think that is the big difference.

FWIW, I spent the better part of 2015 training hard to run a Boston qualifying race. After I achieved that goal in October, it took me months before I really felt like running again. I still went out 6 days a week, but I had no focus or goal because I really felt like I needed the mental break. I decided to run a May marathon with a friend, just for fun, at a much slower pace. I trained just enough to know that I could run the 26.2 without fear of fear of failing. It ended up being a hugely enjoyable race, not having the pressure of a PR in the back of my mind.

• codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've only run 1 marathon so far, and I started signing to myself "I'm running a marathon, a marathon, a marathon, I'm running a marathon cause I'm an f*ing Bada**". During training I often find myself saying "you've done this before, you know you can do it again" (I use this one for long runs as well as tough speed intervals.)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Still working on it. I've run 2 marathons, and the last 4 miles were a struggle in both of them.

In Buffalo 2015, I kept telling myself, "It's okay to run slow. It's not okay to walk. Every step is a new PR for distance. [after 3 hours] Every step is a new PR for time spent running." That kept me on my feet, running, for the entire marathon. Miles 24 and 25 were my slowest, at the fast end of what I considered my easy pace range; but they did not feel easy that day!

That committed me to Boston 2016. I trained my *kitten* off for Boston, and had delusions of running fast enough (at age 60) to time qualify for Chicago. It didn't happen. In real time, I was unaware that the weather was slowing me down. I didn't perceive the heat, I didn't have the radio announcers telling me the elites were off their usual pace, I only knew I was running slower than planned and feeling more tired than I should. It about broke me mentally when I was compelled to take my first walking break at 23.5 miles, *after* passing a lot of people in the hills of Newton and on Heartbreak Hill. I lost count of how many walk breaks I took, though by the grace of God I manage to be be running for all the cameras and when I went past my coach. I finished Boston 2 minutes slower than Buffalo, 8 minutes slower than my goal time, and I was crushed . . . until a multiple-time Boston runner told me "everyone" ran 10 minutes slower than the time they qualified with. Okay, I'll take 2 minutes slower.

So now I'm wrestling with the concept of getting myself to run a marathon less fast so I can finish in better shape. Don't know how successful I'll be. Next shot at it is Rochester on September 18; after that it will be Boston 2017. Then maybe I'll have figured out how I want to run marathons, or maybe I'll decide I don't like running marathons all that much. But I'm committed to those two.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Should the caveat be that you have to be mental to run a marathon?
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lol yes I think a bit mental to run a marathon..and do it again.

Thank you for your replies, they really helped settle the head :) which is as well because I am off the rd altogether with a nasty chest infection
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    For me (so far) each marathon has gotten a little easier. The distance doesn't intimidate me though I have worried about how well the training has prepared me if I've not followed my training plan well. When my wife was recovering from knee replacement surgery and I couldn't get out for as many runs and longer runs as I had planned, I did worry about how that marathon would go. But it went fine. It was cold and rainy and not necessarily "fun" but it was the challenge of running a marathon in miserable conditions that had me determined to complete it.

I tend to think of the marathon distance in segments and what I wish to accomplish in each segment. That may include a time goal but it is more than just that. During my runs I tend to focus on what I am doing...how are my steps landing? Where am I making contact on my feet? How is my heart rate doing? My breathing? Are there any tweaks or adjustments to make to keep the running smooth and efficient? Which muscles are getting tired and are they outside of "normal" experiences.

I might let my thoughts drift off to other things not associated directly with running (something I'm working on at the office or at home). Or I might set myself up in a game of pursuit towards the end of the race (can I overtake them by a certain point in the course or by the finish line). But more often than not it is a mindful "system check" on myself that I find myself conducting.

And there is also the knowing that I am doing something that a relatively small fraction of the population can actually do.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I read an article by an ultra-marathon runner (I cannot remember who) but he said when he ran a 5K, he could not imagine running a 10K, upon finishing a 10K, he could not imagine a half..etc, etc etc to when he ran a 100M. After running the 100mile run, the marathon was just another long run. I have found this to be true. I frequently sign up for 50Ks on short notice. That said, most of my running is merely training. I frequently pace for a friend when I am running a marathon. As a result my marathon times are all over the board from over four hours to under three hours. I think if you are needing to push yourself all the time, then you may be at risk of burning yourself out. Slow down and enjoy the run for the run.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Outside of the idea of one being genetically predisposed to either being a shorter distance runner vs. a longer distance runner based on ratio of muscle fiber types, I think one's preferred distance and attitude/ability to go further distances can be purely individual. I think one's speed is a really significant factor in that as well, one often overlooked. Allow me to explain.

For me making my first 3 full marathons was basically just proving that I could do it no matter how tired I felt. Most people feel pretty trashed after their first full and I was no exception. Since I was a 6+ hour runner that fatigue was particularly acute. The distance is not the same for all, a 3 or 4 hour marathoner probably does not feel as fatigued after their first, third or even 100't marathon as a 5+ hour marathoner. Since paces are mostly defined by effort and HR it becomes a matter of time at that effort. That is what being prepared to avoid hitting the wall is all about, and what really distinguishes the preparation and execution both physically and mentally of a 3 hour marathon from a 5+ hour marathoner. For my 6 hour marathons, I was essentially running a 50k to 50mile race for the average person in terms of effort over time. The mantra I used to make it to the finish was "medal, injury or body bag". I wasn't going home without one of those. That can't work for many people though because their reason for running that event may not be compatible with such an extreme desire to finish at even the cost of one's health or even life.

My favorite endurance distance in the half marathon. For me I can do this in 2:15 to 2:30 fairly comfortably and if I train properly and enter an ideal race fully peaked it is quite reasonable that I could do a 2:00 HM, but thus far I have not trained and entered at peak since reaching that capability. I think it is only natural that this is a favorite endurance distance because the timing of it is right in there for pushing your physical endurance at that effort level to basically go as far and long as reasonable without overly exerting yourself and having to really deal with the wall and fatigue that could take you out of commission for a long time.

Elite and top marathoners can crank out fulls in a roughly 2:00 to 3:00 timeframe which is somewhat similar to my half marathon effort over time. After running and racing a number of half marathons this spring I can run them at a steady state effort on a once per week basis, or flat out race one and require a couple weeks recovery before being back to normal but in that time losing a little bit of oomph, but back to being able to race again in about a month or so. Elite marathoners can do that too, race for 3 hours and expect to be competitive again about a month later at minimum. It kind of makes sense when looking at it as effort over time. Once you exceed that typical timeframe though, say going 4+ hours for a full, then the time to recover starts going up. The ability to run that long at the same effort is also diminished and these runners may start at their marathon pace effort but slow down after a while (maybe mile 16, maybe 20, maybe 22). Once you start looking at 5+ hours it does not make much sense to run any portion of it at what is typically referred to as "marathon pace effort" because you are sure to crash. So you run slower and longer, putting in a sort of time and effort similar to where some can run ultras. This is why some people can really only race one full each season, or year. Since it is clearly taking a larger toll, it is clearly a tougher battle to endure. Ultra runners usually take quite a while to recover, especially at longer distances (really determined more by time at effort than distance).

OK, that may have been a hair off on a tangent, but pretty much on topic I think.

Given all that, if you are into endurance events and have something in you pushing you to do them, it is only natural that after you finish one that really pushes your abilities that you think you'll never do it again but sign up for another soon after. Without that drive you would not have signed up for one, trained and executed it to begin with. For people who just do it as a "bucket list" thing, well, in some cases they may never run another one again. The key is what drove them to make it through training and the event to begin with. It may have started as a "bucket list" desire but due to the difficulties presented they found other motivation to push them through only to uncover their long hidden inner endurance athlete.

Good gawd, I'll stop typing now.