Hydration Belt

Options
arialb122
arialb122 Posts: 34 Member
I have a fairly large bottom, and for distances greater than 10 miles, I need to wear a hydration belt. The problem is, the belt creates horrible chafing above my bum. I have tried Body Glide, which helps, but not completely. Does anyone have suggestions? Would a hydration backpack create less chafing? Thank you!

Replies

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to loop your runs around water that is available? I hate running with anything including carrying a water bottle so I have several courses I run that have water fountains or I have water on the trunk of car that I can grab as I run by.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I find I like these. Your fingers/thumbs are free to do whatever and there are models with plenty of storage.
    http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottles-handhelds/handhelds
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is a water pack that I use. I'm somewhat gifted in the rear-department too, but I'm able to wear this belt around my butt instead of my waist. It probably looks funny, but it doesn't move around and doesn't chafe. I've used it on 14+ mile runs with no chaffing, and I love it. It DID take me a couple of runs to figure out placement so that it didn't bounce around though. https://www.amazon.com/Adalid-Gear-Hydration-10-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B00KR3KS0M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1467736396&sr=8-5

I like the ones at the link that @whatmerunning left though. I may try those out if I ever need a replacement, but I lean toward belts or packs, since I like to have my hands completely free. I've not found a pack that doesn't chafe.
  • arialb122
    arialb122 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Unfortunately, my runs are out-and-backs, so no accessible water. I will have to give the handheld a try!
    JustSomeEm, that is the one that is leaving me chafed! Maybe I am wearing it wrong?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I also carry a 10 oz handheld. I have never liked having anything around my waist. It's usually plenty for me, but on really hot days with long runs, I design my route so that I pass a water fountain twice or I take some extra money with me and stop at a convenience store and pick up a bottle of water to refill.
  • jwschutz
    jwschutz Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Have you tried reversing the belt, so the bottles and pouch are in the back? I have a Nathan Belt that is similar. I typically use handhelds, or a vest for longer runs. Handhelds, I like Nathan and Amphipod, my running vest is a Nathan, which I really like (very little movement).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I tried a hydration belt, which I hated. Now I use a water bottle that fits into my Flipbelt. It doesn't bounce or chafe at all, and I don't need to choose between multiple running belts.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I really like the handhelds, too, but I've been eyeing the flipbelt and the flat water bottles they sell to fit in them.
  • apullum
    Options
    @JeepHair77 I love my Flipbelt. I didn't even buy the water bottle that's made to go in it; the bottle from my hydration belt fit with only a little coaxing. Of course that depends on the bottle, but the Flipbelt is really stretchy and can hold more than I expected. I've had my phone, bags of raisins, and water bottle in it during a race, and there was room to spare.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @apullum Thanks for mentioning the Flipbelt. I've been eyeing it too. I had no idea it could fit a water bottle. Awesome. Do you buy a size to wear on your waist or your hips? And does it ever roll up, or does that depend on how much you have in it? Do you feel it is safe to hold ID or a credit card (items are not going to fall out since the pockets aren't zippered)?
  • apullum
    Options
    @runrachellerun I wear it on my hips, though it does roll if it's empty. It is stretchy enough that you might be able to wear it either way. The water bottle would definitely depend on the exact bottle--I have only put an 8 oz. one in it. I have a phone case that also holds my cards, but if you're worried about things falling out, you might turn it so that the belt openings are on the inside. I've never had anything fall out of it and would feel pretty comfortable with putting cards in it if they weren't near the openings. It also has a little clip inside for your key.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @apullum Thanks for the info. Sounds great. I'm going to pick one up. Much appreciated!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaand I just ordered my flip belt. Thanks, @apullum
  • apullum
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The bottle I used was from a Fitletic belt, 8 oz. I haven't tried it with anything else, but I've read that folks have fit other types of bottles in it. Let me know how it works!

Edit: Someone else's blog, but they used the same bottle I have: http://www.howmyworldruns.com/2015/01/15/flipbelt-review/
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    This is a water pack that I use. I'm somewhat gifted in the rear-department too, but I'm able to wear this belt around my butt instead of my waist. It probably looks funny, but it doesn't move around and doesn't chafe. I've used it on 14+ mile runs with no chaffing, and I love it. It DID take me a couple of runs to figure out placement so that it didn't bounce around though. https://www.amazon.com/Adalid-Gear-Hydration-10-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B00KR3KS0M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1467736396&sr=8-5

I like the ones at the link that @whatmerunning left though. I may try those out if I ever need a replacement, but I lean toward belts or packs, since I like to have my hands completely free. I've not found a pack that doesn't chafe.

I have the exact same hydration belt mentioned above, and besides my shoes and Garmin, it's my favorite running accessory. It sits low on bum instead of high on my waist, and it doesn't move while I'm running. I'm in Texas and with the heat, i can't do anything 5 miles or more without hydration in the summer. The pocket in front holds my phone, keys, and my sport beans for long runs. It's super comfortable...never any chafing. I even used it on my 10K and 15K trail races this summer where I won Female Masters. It was nice to be able to drink when I wanted. I also have a Handheld Camelbak with a hand strap and I prefer my hydration belt so much more.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've tried many different options over the years and have come to the conclusion that if I can get away with a handheld, I will. All packs are annoying in some way. The best ones seem to be with the smallish bladder that sits high (and tight) on your back. (Nathan, Nike, etc) I've done okay where I need a ton of water (epic trail runs in the heat) using some of the camelback variety that are made for running.

The belts all chafe me or give me a stomach ache from the bounce. Handheld if you can make it work. As a bonus, you'll get a little upper body workout!