Men, Running undies?

Options
pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
Support, chaffing, dryness. We all know the issues and problems.
Do you run au naturel (under your running shorts), use lined shorts, or an under garment? If the latter, using an under garment, what is your brand/type of choice?

Replies

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    au naturel
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Not a guy, but au naturel also... I do use body glide for the thighs.

My husband runs the same way, no body glide.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I cut the liners out of my running shorts and wear compression/wicking underwear. I like the Adidas Climacool or Climalite but found that Reebox has some that work just as well. and slightly less money at Sam's Club. Adidas and Nike have some running shorts with build it compression liners but are pricey ($35-$50 a pair). I have one pair of those from Adidas and like them as well. I typically get my running shorts from an Adidas outlet when they are on sale for about $10-12 a pair, and the underwear are about $20 for 3 pair, so much cheaper. I found that i like to wear the underwear everyday vs the standard cotton boxer as well.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Nothing but the running shorts liner
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Buy Running shorts without liners and use SAXX ( a hammock for the >:) ) for my under garment. Originally started using them for Backpacking / Hiking now they are the only UG in my Dresser.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts. I have mostly Adidas and some others I picked up at various places. Some I like some I hate. Since I really liked the Adidas I stocked up. I prefer compression shorts to "keep things in place".

If it bothers me I cut out the liner in my shorts.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the adidas compression/moisture wicking shorts. I recently started using them and I regret not going to them sooner. Cuts down on chaffing, holds things nicely in place, and keeps things cool and dry.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    windproof underwear by Asics (if) it is bitterly cold. Otherwise, I run with just my running shorts. On long runs and ultras I smear Vaseline on that region.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Adidas ClimaCool Boxer Briefs as #1 choice, Nike Pro Combat Boxer Briefs a close second choice. I find the run liners in shorts to be no better than running au naturale in shorts without liners as far as chafing. I prefer having the boxer briefs over depending on lube and any concerns over reapplying over long distances.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I too prefer the compression underwear. No chafing here.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    I cut the liners out of my running shorts and wear compression/wicking underwear.

This is what I've always done in the past, but I've been giving lined shorts another try recently as I want to find something cooler/more comfortable for the really hot summer runs.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I wear compression shorts. I usually buy either Nike or Under Armor after learning the hard way with the Eastbay and Roadrunner cheap-o ones that yes, indeed, you get what you pay for. In the winter I'll wear longer base-layer tights. It's a hold-over from my heavier days where it really helped to keep everything from chafing. I just never deviated from that as I lost weight.

I've never actually cut the liner out of running shorts, I usually just buy basketball shorts or training shorts that don't have liners.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I wrote a similar question a few years ago on here and was convinced to give going au natural a try. I absolutely find it much better. Bit of run glide for longer runs sorts out the chafing.