Week 1 Topic: What has your diet and exercise plan been like this summer?

Options
Fit4LifeAR
Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
My diet and exercise plan has been pretty bad this summer, and although I have logged on, I haven't been logging food like I should be. I had knee replacement surgery 3 weeks ago, and the pain medicine completely wipes out my appetite. As a result, I have lost 8 pounds. I also know that as soon as my appetite is back, I will gain that weight back if I don't log my food and track calories.

I haven't been to the gym in almost 4 weeks because of my surgery and it's been rough. I miss it so much. I have been a gym regular for the past 5-6 years at least. I hope to be released to drive this week, so I will start lifting with my upper body again as soon as I am. I can't make a rotation yet with my knee, but the plan is to get on a bike when I can. My goal is 2 weeks!

1dv8qazomu5q.jpeg

Replies

• Eboneysea2291
    Eboneysea2291 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hope you recover soon! Take it easy on yourself though and mare sure you are completely healed!

Back in May I have felt like a "switch has been flipped" I have been more on point than I ever have, even when I was competing! The only thing I feel like I am doing more of and won't be able to do so much once school starts is walking. I am averaging 15,000 to 17,000 steps a day when I used to struggle to get 10,000 each day. I know that I can keep the food in check and gym workouts going since I did it in May and June (we went all the way until June 28th this year!)

I do 4 weight workouts a week (I use the 5/3/1 program by Jim Wendler) and I do 2 interval workouts on a spin bike which is 5 minute warm up, 20 second all out sprint, 1:40 rest for 6 intervals and then a 5 min cool down. I try to get in at least 2 "power walks" in addition.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    Excellent, you may have to explain the 5/3/1, I am interested! I have lifted for years, but I feel like I've always done the same thing. Any advice would be great! I need to charge my Fitbit too. Luckily I teach from home (virtual high school) so I love to take short walks throughout the day. It helps so much!
  • MommaRaven
    MommaRaven Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing The Master's Hammer & Chisel program. I just finished week 2. As far as eating, just trying to make better choices and watch my portion size. It's easier for me to do in the summer, since I'm not so stressed or pressed for time.
  • ashleyshimmin
    ashleyshimmin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We eat a vegetarian diet at home, and while most people think that it's automatically healthy, it's still hard to maintain your calories. Potato chips, ice cream, and cheese are still vegetarian.... :-) I've been working towards a more clean diet lately, and having a wedding dress to fit into has really helped. When you drop hundreds of dollars (or more) on a dress, it needs to fit, and it was pretty close there for a while. I've logged everything I've eaten without exception for almost two years now. Some days I'm good, some days I eat 4000 calories. I think my key to success is just being honest and forgiving with myself. My fiance lost 200 pounds before we met, and he is a huge supporter of a healthy lifestyle and keeps me motivated. He knows what I am going through with the process of getting healthy, so that helps a lot.

I did the Runners World run streak recently, which was a total game changer. I wasn't a runner at all when I started it. I ran a minimum of a mile a day, every day from Memorial Day through the 4th of July. 36 days... it sucked some days, and I usually had to do my mile in intervals, but I did it! It was in a group on Facebook, and there were about 20 people doing it together. Now I have transitioned into Couch to 5K training, and I am running 3 days each week. I'm about halfway through that program now. I have big, long-term goals for my running now. I'm learning to love it!
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym in May. I have been adjusting to running on the treadmill as it is easier on my joints and my breathing. Lately I've been dealing with hip pain that interferes with my running - I have a diagnosis of sciatica from the PA, but it hasn't improved since the diagnosis and treatment. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. I don't know if my diagnosis will change, but I think I might get referred to physical therapy. My education degree is not particularly helpful in these situations, but based on my symptoms and descriptions from Dr. Google, I'm pretty sure bursitis is a likely suspect. 0/10 recommend whatever this is - it is painful, increases the number of rest days needed, and just overall makes exercise challenging.

My eating habits are less consistent over summer vacation, but my overall activity level is greater, so it is a good time for maintenance for me. B)

• Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    I joined a gym in May. I have been adjusting to running on the treadmill as it is easier on my joints and my breathing. Lately I've been dealing with hip pain that interferes with my running - I have a diagnosis of sciatica from the PA, but it hasn't improved since the diagnosis and treatment. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. I don't know if my diagnosis will change, but I think I might get referred to physical therapy. My education degree is not particularly helpful in these situations, but based on my symptoms and descriptions from Dr. Google, I'm pretty sure bursitis is a likely suspect. 0/10 recommend whatever this is - it is painful, increases the number of rest days needed, and just overall makes exercise challenging.

My eating habits are less consistent over summer vacation, but my overall activity level is greater, so it is a good time for maintenance for me. B)

Bursitis can be horrible! Hopefully you will get some answers soon!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I also felt the "switch flip" in May and have been logging my food faithfully and trying to hit my macros along the way, since then. I walk a lot!
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    Bursitis can be horrible! Hopefully you will get some answers soon!

It was a good news, bad news, worst news ever kind of visit.

Good news: I don't have sciatica! :)

Bad news: I have hip bursitis, which means my diagnostic skills are improving. ;)

Worst news ever: I am banned from all exercise involving my lower body for a week. I did get permission to walk the dogs, but no running up the hills. :'(

So, all I can focus on is upper body for a whole week. Plus I have to take a course of steroids, which actually might be this cloud's silver lining because usually when I take them, food doesn't taste good to me. That may help balance out my reduced activity.