Hi there! Aussie vegan looking for buddies/support on my weight loss journey

Options
aktzi
aktzi Posts: 3 Member
Hi everyone

I'm a vegan of 4 years (vego since 14) who in recent years has put on a fair amount of weight and have been struggling to address it and stay committed to making change.

I have always been very active and despite the weight gain I am reasonably fit. I run ultra trail marathons for fun and enjoy this but it's my eating I know that lets me down. My weight issues started when I tried the whole high carb thing. I just don't think tons of fruit and dates and the likes works for me. I want to improve my running and want to fit in all my favorite clothes.

I am going on a 5 week trip to the US commencing the end of September so I have 13 weeks that I would like to loose 12kg or the equivalent of that minus muscle gain. I do have muscle especially in my legs, I just have a lot of fat to get rid of too.

I'm not sure how to go with macros and the likes but I know I really dislike how I feel and look so keen to stay motivated and get any tips and advice from those who have had success.

Replies

• veganza
    veganza Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you read Vegan For Life by Jack Norris RD and Ginny Messina RD? A good alternative if high carb doesn't suit. No good for me, either. I pack on weight with carbs, feel like lethargic garbage! They also run a few websites: veganhealth.org and theveganrd.com and jacknorrisrd.com I struggle to keep my cholesterol and blood pressure up, which most people from SAD backgrounds can't grasp. Different histories, different conditions = different dietary needs, but the vegan food world can meet any requirements. Even vegan keto diets exist after all.

Brendan Brazier's books might be great for you, he's a very successful endurance athlete. His book "Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life" is quite good. He eats much higher fat and protein than the high carb crew and is probably much more successful in his sporting career than most. But rather than macros he focuses on pounding in high micronutrient foods, much more greens, vegetables, pseudograins and legumes... followed by fruit, a flax/coconut/olive oils, nuts and seeds, and minimising starches, relatively.