Welcome

Options
4lalalauren
4lalalauren Posts: 11 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Hi everyone welcometo the gluten free group

Please introduce yourself here when you join. Let's all be supportive! Let's hear your goals, how long you've been gluten free, and why you decided to go gluten free.

Replies

• 4lalalauren
    Options
    My name is Lauren. I've been gluten free for a month now. I've gone gluten free because my new born was having a lot of discomfort from my breast milk. I started with a gluten and dairy free diet. And I'm feeling way better and so if little one.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren, I am Jeanette. I am not gluten free, per se, but cannot handle wheat at all; I'm pretty sure it is the food itself and not the gluten. However, I have been eating gluten free for....several years now. I can tell you I remember how much better I felt once I stopped eating wheat; it made a HUGE difference in my health.
  • mariah118
    mariah118 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm Mariah. I started gluten free today :D I'm pretty excited. I've watched both of my sisters lose a lot of weight this way. They both have wheat allergies. Lately, I've been getting random hives and I'm thinking my genes may have caught up to me :open_mouth: I'm doing this for weight loss, potential allergies, and I've heard you feel awesome off gluten.
  • letivallejo
    letivallejo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Leti and I will be going gluten, dairy, and egg free. I am a breastfeeding mom and was advised by my son's pediatrician to eliminate these things from my diet because my little one might be having an allergic reaction to them. Scared but excited to start my journey!
  • Jillmgk36
    Jillmgk36 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jill. I was told last week that I am "weak positive" for celiac, having 2 markers in the blood test, so I have started a gluten free diet to see how that affects my body. Only 2 days in, but so far, so good!!! I think this will make me eat more whole foods. I work long days so am used to convenience foods on those days, so will need to do much better planning.
  • 4lalalauren
    Options
    Welcome Jill, it is so much easier eating gluten free from whole foods. Good luck !
  • ewoodrn
    ewoodrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Erica. I have been Dairy free for 3 years and gluten free for 2 years now. I initially cut out dairy because of my cystic acne and stomach issues, which worked great for about a year. I started to notice crazy bloating that made me look 6 months pregnant and I also was researching about the keratosis pilaris on my arms. I read an article about the rash on my arms and gluten intolerance was one of the reasons. So I continued the research and a light bulb went off. No more bloating, mood swings/pms type symtoms, brain fog is gone. The first 2 months are the hardest, then eating this way just becomes your normal and I'ts no big deal. You just learn to plan a little better, especially at family dinners, ect, you just volunteer to bring what you can eat :)
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Stephanie. I'm completely new to being gluten and (mostly) dairy free. My daughter is autistic and was recently diagnosed with a dairy intolerance, so we're slowly cutting dairy from our diets as much as we can. Not long afterwards, my doctor diagnosed me with a gluten intolerance, which makes sense considering all the issues I've had most of my life. The brain fog, bloating, cycles of constipation and diarrhea, and the weird bumps I've always had on my arms that feel oddly like raw chicken skin, after researching it and talking with my doctor more, it all pointed to an intolerance. I'll admit that I've really been having a hard time adjusting to this new way of eating.
  • sgtraum
    sgtraum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Sarah and I've been mostly gluten free for 2 years since my oldest daughter (5.5 years old) was diagnosed with celiac disease. We eat gluten free at the house and I cook most meals at home. My littlest one is 13 months and we're keeping her gluten free for now, and will get her tested when she is a bit older (and can communicate with us better!). I do occasionally eat gluten if I'm out by myself without the girls, but not too often. I think I'm over the learning hump with the gluten free diet, but would love to find some homemade pizza and bread recipes that my daughter would eat (she prefers store bought- boo! It's so much more expensive and not nearly as tasty.)
  • QUmsilva
    QUmsilva Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm Meghan. I've been gluten free for about a year now. I have to admit it is difficult for me sometimes, but I feel so much better! My hair, skin, energy, mood, everything has been impacted in a positive way.
  • sjguevara23
    sjguevara23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Sam- I've been gluten free for about two months now due to health reasons.. I've noticed so may positive changes since I stopped and can't wait to be involved in the group!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am Nissa. I have a malabsorption disorder and scarring in my small intestines. I actually can't digest grains or gluten, and right now can't digest starches and need to be on a low fodmap diet. My health is so much better. I have been gluten free for a year and a half. But, my health was declining until I cut the other things out about four months ago. I have to be careful about supplements as well because they can trigger my malabsorption. I have had GI reactions and hives from gluten for decades. My Rheumatologist said to not eat gluten. I have elevated auto-immune markers. Gluten is also a fodmap. I developed the malabsorption symptoms after being overtreated and wrongly prescribed meds. It's a long and complicated story. So, I can't even eat the gluten alternatives.
  • abbymckinzie
    abbymckinzie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Abby. A few months ago I found out that I am lactose and gluten intolerant. It was hard cutting out some things, like pizza, but I feel and look so much better now. I just need help staying on my diet through out college, especially since my friends don't have to avoid the foods that I do.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone - Happy Hump Day (or Wednesday)! - I hope everyone is well. What is everyone's favourite breakfast ? Especially when you are a. gluten free or b. wheat free or BOTH! I always have fruit, gluten free granola - just a couple of tablespoons, and greek yogurt. What about you?
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    And by the way My name is Melanie - I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario. a town called Keswick. I've been suffering for years with intestinal woes, and I won't share the graphic details with you as if you are here - I'm sure you know. I always say to people - I should be a stick with all the problems that I have had with bowels, stomach, etc. - but unfortunately (LOL) - I am not. I am basically eating wheat free and occasionally, I do have wheat. But I buy, gluten free bread, gluten free pasta, and for the most part, all is well. I'm much better now CONSISTENTLY speaking now that I am not having a bunch of crap!
  • aquasparkles
    aquasparkles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I've only been gluten free since Thursday going well so far lost 5lbs already. Been suffering with pain high in my abdomen since June had blood tests and ultrasound and everything showing normal.
    Docter said it's acid on omeprizol not helping docter doesn't seem to care.
    Done a bit of research and gluten free duet came up so giving it a shot, fingers crossed.
    Wish me luck want to lose 1stone 7lbs xx
  • vix82vicki
    vix82vicki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have been gluten free for about 10months after being diagnosed with coeliac disease. I have found that I've slipped into a routine of eating the same things which have been all the wrong things
  • MrsBAT
    MrsBAT Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :smile: I've been gluten-free, mostly, for about 4 months. I got exposed a couple of times since then, but now I'm much stricter with what I eat and reading labels. I went GF after coming across a blog or article or something about it, and I remember reading it and relating to the symptoms the writer had experienced. Then I looked up symptoms and more stories about issues with gluten (either celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerance) and was floored by how many of the things I'd been struggling with, too. Since I went GF, my entire life has changed for the better. I have energy again, I don't look sick, my skin looks much better, I finally started being able to lose weight, etc. Some of the changes were things I didn't even think could be related to gluten.
  • BrittneyCritter
    BrittneyCritter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Brittney and I'm a single mom in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I'm a massage therapist and I've been gluten free for about 6 years. I have Celiac disease, hashimotos thyroiditis, and PCOS. Going GF truly changed my life. I have more energy, less mood swings, my nails are stronger, my hair isn't falling out anymore, and I feel pretty good. At first it was hard, but it's gotten much easier to be GF.
    I got lackadaisical with my diet when fast food restaurants started offering gluten free options. I also took a desk job part time instead of full time massage therapy (mostly to save my thumbs). Now I have about 80 lbs to lose in 20 lb installments. I'm not too worried about the actual number though. I just want to be happy with my reflection again. I like the inner me... now to just tame my middle!
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My boys are gluten free and I feel so much better when I am. But I still love gluten breads and use lack of time/convenience as an excuse...I'm a work in progress