First DNF and subsequent injury.

Options
FatMoojor
FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
So a couple of weeks ago, I had my first ever DNF. It was at mile 57 of a 70 mile ultra. My running partner was running with a stomach bug and wasn’t able to take on food. So we ended up calling it a day.
One of the things about these ultras is that we have always said we would stop if it every looked like causing serious issues. But a DNF is always hard to swallow, especially when you are only 13 miles from the end.
The whole thing was a big learning curve though. I hadn’t run any of the route beforehand and that was a major fault. There was a huge amount of public footpaths through private lands which meant that it was beyond grown over.
Then heading through miles of farmers’ fields meant the route descriptions, which while good was open to incorrect interpretation. We had probably clocked up another couple of miles or so of wrong paths taken.
But the finally nail was finding out that I have a stress fracture of the tibia as well. This means that I now have at least 6 to 8 weeks of no running at all. Then I have to re-hab back up to where I was before the injury, which could well be another 5 or 6 weeks.
So this is just me feeling sorry for myself at the moment, though it has given me a chance to focus on strength work.

Replies

• Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had a doctor tell me I had a stress fracture. I insisted on a bone scan (as a cancer survivor it is covered by insurance easily enough) and discovered that my bones were just fine. So I am a little skeptical when the doctor tells me stuff like that now. It cost me two weeks of training but I suppose that was good to take a couple weeks off. 6-8 weeks is a lot of time if it isn't actually a stress fracture.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have a bone scan booked in from when I get back from holiday, but 16 days after the event and still with a stabbing pain in the front of my tibia when not even walking makes me feel that the initial diagonisis is probably correct.

I hope so much that the bone scan comes back clear, but I'm not holding up much hope, though by that point I would have given it 4 weeks of rest so should almost be done.