Ac1 now normal but random insulin still high

Options
treehugnmama
treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
Hi has anyone had any experience with this?

I introduced exercise everyday sometimes I take 1 rest day a week.
Cut out white flour products (actually all wheat)
Sugar and sugar substitute
Starchy veggies

Last couple days I have had some crap (potatoes) but overall not really
Down 34 pounds but random insulin still high

Ideas?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I had to incorporate intermittent fasting to get my insulin numbers under control. Another thing that can really help is interval activities. They can help you regain insulin sensitivity. If you don't take metformin, it can also help, though so do inositol, vitex, and other meds/supplements that help balance hormones. If your estrogen stuff is out of whack, it can knock your insulin off level, too.
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    Thanks knit. I am on met since beg of may. I'm not on inosol but natural path put me on inosols cousin but I just started it. My exercise it this does it count?

10 pool laps hard and fast 20 weights I alternate this till I hit 100 laps and 200 weights...should hat be making a difference?

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    That should probably be helping, yes. As should the Metformin. Sounds like you might want to start testing blood sugar reactions to foods, because potatoes (and may other unexpected foods - like watermelon) are terrible on the glycemic impact scale. Anything that spikes your blood sugar will create an insulin reaction. If you're spiking it periodically, it's test results will seem random. I got mind down to a 5 consistently, had a few bad weeks, and topped out at 15 something. I don't know what it is now (I think it was back down to a 9 in April), but I'm struggling massively with cravings...and binging.
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    Hmm u will have to take a better look at my diary. I have been craving big time last two weeks too and giving in too much
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've been having that problem a lot lately too, particularly since my second thyroid medicine was added/adjusted... So frustrating when you're on point for a time, then just so ... NOT.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ever since I took provera and got my period back, I feel like my cravings are worse and I'm giving in more. Maybe that's part of my issue. I haven't gain though, but haven't been losing as consistently either. Not sure if I'm plateauing or just not pushing hard enough. I saw from another thread you were talking about Trig levels being high. Mine are high as well, but they say my thyroid is fine...so I don't know.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Ever since I took provera and got my period back, I feel like my cravings are worse and I'm giving in more. Maybe that's part of my issue. I haven't gain though, but haven't been losing as consistently either. Not sure if I'm plateauing or just not pushing hard enough. I saw from another thread you were talking about Trig levels being high. Mine are high as well, but they say my thyroid is fine...so I don't know.

@HayleyAnne012911

With the thyroid, the TSH alone isn't enough to say it is fine. You need total and free T4 numbers, and total, free, and reverse T3 numbers. You also need the two antibodies tests, if an option... That being said, what is your TSH? Because the range covers all ranges and may not apply to you, yourself. If you're at the upper end of the range and your trigs are high, chances are you've got a low functioning thyroid. It can take 10-15 years for the TSH to represent the rest of the numbers being off... What is your trig number??

And estrogen and insulin play off of each other. Either going weird, dropping, or dramatically increasing will affect the other... So if provera is estrogen based, it will definitely affect your insulin levels, which will in turn keep you from being able to burn fat... I can't remember offhand - are you insulin resistant? Estrogen dominant?
  • HayleyAnne012911
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I am diabetic, I'm on metformin 2,000 mg a day and Jardiance 25 mg a day and then I'm supposed to take provera 10 days out of the month to induce my periods, and then I take daily prenatals that my dr perscribed. My trig test results in April when I found out I was diabetic were 307.

This is copied from my results page on my dr's site.

CHOLESTEROL LEVEL 190 mg/dL 125 - 200 mg/dL
    HDL CHOLEST 31 mg/dL > OR = 46 mg/dL L
    TRIGLYCERIDES 307 mg/dL <150 mg/dL H
    LDL CHOL (CALCULATED) 98 mg/dL (calc) <130 mg/dL (calc)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @HayleyAnne012911 - What is your TSH? Any other thyroid tests?? Your trigs being that high wave a red flag at me that you have underlying thyroid issues.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss This is the only thing I could find online that says TSH

TSH,ULTRASENSITIVE 1.22 mIU/L mIU/L
    Reference Range

> or = 20 Years 0.40-4.50

Pregnancy Ranges
    First trimester 0.26-2.66
    Second trimester 0.55-2.73
    Third trimester 0.43-2.91
    General Information
    Collected:
    04/08/2016 12:37 PM
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Your TSH seems to be in a reasonable place, so that may or may not be a factor. The younger you are, the higher it should be, to my understanding. Best I've ever felt with my thyroid, TSH was like 1.64 or so...which is the absolutely lowest it's been since 2009. Worst I've been, I had a 4.421, 4.605, and a 3.979 (October 2015). But my understanding is that not everyone's goes high.

So, I'm researching, and one thing I ran across leads me to ask this... Do you know what your D3 level is??

I'll respond more in a second to the rest after I research a little more...
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @HayleyAnne012911

So it looks like insulin resistance raises trigs and lowers HDL. Diabetes compounds this. Beta blockers and other meds can raise trigs, too. But the biggest thing that jumped out at me is this:

A high triglyceride level combined with low HDL cholesterol or high LDL cholesterol is associated with atherosclerosis, the buildup of fatty deposits in artery walls [...].

Having just listened recently to Dr. Berg's podcast at the Diabetes Summit and on Digestive/Nutrient Absorption issues, he advocated over and over again that high levels of vitamin D3 and K2 are needed to go through the arteries like "nets" of sorts, gathering up the various clutter of calcium deposits, fatty triglyceride deposits, and glucose trash clutter. He himself takes 40,000 I.U. of D3 and 400 mcg of K2 (form M-7) each morning. Some K2 can be taken in through truly grassfed organic meats and butter, etc. Otherwise, supplements are available. He says also that if you are going to take a calcium supplement, which he does NOT personally recommend as it's rarely a calcium INTAKE issue, but rather an absorption issue that causes low calcium, you should take it at night, before bed, without food... You can get on his website and correspond with his staff via chat - but they'll almost always recommend that you take your one "free consult call" with him directly to answer specific questions.

That being said, I've recently been increasing my D3/K2 supplements. Also, I've added in ACV on a regular basis with meals and Digestive Enzymes to help with increasing stomach acid - and enzymatic support for my intestines as well - to give my body the best chances of breaking down my vitamins and minerals and properly absorbing them... So, are you going back for a check up this month, or in October? Because I would be absolutely curious and inspired to see if supplementing these things specifically (with the magnesium, potassium, and boron that are co-factors) would help you dump that Trig level in the trash!!
  • HayleyAnne012911
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I have no idea what my D3 is, I have a follow up appt with my primary August 10th. Before I go back to that I have to get blood work done again to test A1C, to see if it's gone down any. It was 10.5% in April :( What is D3, should I ask my dr about this?
    If I have thyroid issues this whole time, I'm gonna be mad if what I'd be trying to tell my dr's all this time was right :(
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    D3 is the "sunshine vitamin" and is very critical to just about any body function ever. Nearly everyone is deficient in it. It's generally a test folks run. Some info on it...

While I don't agree with the indicated dosages here, I do agree with the underlying deficiency issues.

http://pcosdiva.com/2012/11/vitamin-d-a-pcos-deficiency/

http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/supplements/pcos-and-vitamin-d/

And believe me, all of us with PCOS get to that point of finally starting to have things going the right direction and feel like saying, "See, doc, I told you it wasn't just me!!"
  • HayleyAnne012911
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I'll have to look into supplements then, I already take 7 pills a day, and i'm not trying to increase that, but if it'll help me I guess I will.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    i counted out what I take the other day, and it was like 23, and that didn't count what I took twice a day - and I think I've even added something since then... But I've researched everything I take, and honestly, most of the changes have made shocking differences for the better. You CAN get these nutrients through foods, though you might need to increase stomach acids/digestive enzymes to absorb properly.

You can get combination pills. Someone makes a formula that has D3, K2, magnesium, potasssium, and boron all in one, though not my favorite dosages/forms of each. It's like Nature's Way "Bone Health" or something... But if you want to get a whammy pill/drip, I'd say it's worth specific combos, but not multi-vitamins which often have simultaneously too much of some things with too little of others - and vitamins which compete with each other for absorption, rendering one or both mostly useless... Just keep investigating and tweaking.

Personally, @HayleyAnne012911, I think it is nutrient deficiencies in the first place that lead us to things like insulin resistance and diabetes!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    If you can get through the first half of scare tactics - this article is absolutely fabulous to explain why D3/K2, magnesium, and such are such a delicate and important balance!!!

precisionnutrition.com/stop-vitamin-d
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    My vit was 63 so I am now trying to get that up...not something covered in canada for testing which is so silly when everyone should have it tested but anyhow I'm now on 3000 ui of vitd3.

My old bottle said vit d and this one d3 is there a difference?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Not really, unless it was prescription. As far as I know, only D3 and D2 are available over the counter... D3 is what you should be taking, unless you have a known other issue. Make sure that you get the K2 WITH the D3 (whether from grassfed meats/dairy or supplements) as well as the magnesium. A should be offset from consumption of D3...

63 on the D3 level is not bad. It's actually fairly decent. In fact it was a 57 in April and my endo wanted me to get it up further...

Lowest I have in my available medical record is back from 2011, and it was a 24!!

Magnesium deficiency won't show up on a traditional blood test, as the body works hard to maintain a delicate balance in the bloodstream, stripping the rest of your body of what it's absorbed if necessary. I'd recommend supplementing magnesium, if you're not already. This is a good site that talks about best forms for individuals: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2078-bulletproof-magnesium-thread/

Good luck!
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    Thanks. I'm not currently supplements ting magnesium however I'm trying to limit number of supplements I am taking and when I drop one off next month I will pick mag up again slas I have in past.