Do any of you constantly have the urge to take your band off?

Options
magicpickles
magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
I get sick of wearing my fitness tracker, so miss most of the steps I take. I usually just wear it when I know I will go for a walk that day.

I feel like if I wear my tracker, I HAVE to get above 10,000 steps, so it puts me off, because sometimes, (well, most times) I feel too lazy.

I have slight Aspergers, so I like to be as comfortable as possible. I don't know why I thought getting a fitness band was a good idea- I hate wearing watches and bracelets. I also don't like getting it wet, like when I have a shower, wash my hands or do the dishes. Technically its water proof, but still...

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Why dont you change to a clip on tracker, like a zip or ONE. In answer to your question, the only time my fitbit leaves my wrist is when I'm in the shower.
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why dont you change to a clip on tracker, like a zip or ONE. In answer to your question, the only time my fitbit leaves my wrist is when I'm in the shower.

I used to have one that went around my neck. I had to rebuy it a few times because I kept losing it! Then I went to buy it again and the price had gone up too much, so I ended up buying a vivofit. Its great, I only need to replace the battery once a year!

Do you take your fitbit off to wash dishes?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I used to have one that went around my neck. I had to rebuy it a few times because I kept losing it! Then I went to buy it again and the price had gone up too much, so I ended up buying a vivofit. Its great, I only need to replace the battery once a year!

Do you take your fitbit off to wash dishes?

Wow, i had to replace the battery in my zip every 3 months. The clasp on the zip is pretty secure, it never feel off of me, it clips to the middle of your bra or to the inside pocket of your jeans, i always had mine clipped onto my bra.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm really sensitive to texture and the feel of what I'm wearing. I don't wear jewelry (rings, necklaces, bracelets, watches, etc.) because it tends to drive me nuts and I end up taking it off. So, I was reluctant to get a tracker that is worn on the wrist. So, I started with a One and I loved it. However, I did like the idea of the heart rate monitor and I got a Charge HR when they came out (I had just washed my One and it stopped working - temporarily, it turned out). It took some getting used to, but having an activity tracker really works for me, so I'm motivated to keep it on.

I don't take it off to wash dishes, but if it gets too wet while I'm doing them, I take it off and dry it. I've dunked it a few times without any damage although the Charge HR is not supposed to be waterproof.

As far as feeling like you've got to get your 10,000 steps if you wear it, that's a different matter than comfort. To me, a tracker is motivating but I got my first one at a point where I was already exercising daily. Maybe you could set your goal much lower, to a level that you do make every day, and then gradually increase your steps. There's nothing magic about 10,000 steps - it's just a nice, round number someone picked - but there is magic in getting more active.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Would setting your goal lower be helpful to you?

Sure, 10k is a nice thing to strive for, but I've found that it's hard for me to reach lately - been having back issues and even walking aggravated things. I changed my goal to 7k steps, which I can hit even on a lazy day.

~Lyssa
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I only take my Fitbit off to charge and to shower. I sometimes have to look at my arm to make sure it's on there. Other than the first few days (and especially nights since I was interested in the sleep tracking), it's comfortable. Maybe you need to wear it continuously for a few days to adjust. If not, just wear it when you are going to take a lot of steps or exercise. You won't get all the credit, but you can still track purposeful activity and times when you know you'll take more steps than usual.
  • NicoleBurgoz
    NicoleBurgoz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I saw someone wear it around their ankle during sleeping (widened the strap with a gair scrnchy), that would baybe work for daily activities too?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Have different fitness goals that are not step based.

I couldn't care less about the steps - mere data point, as useful as what time is it (so semi-useful).
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I like the Fitbit because it is so light but I feel burdened more about "OMG I have to reach my step goal AGAIN today" but when it is off I usually end up slacking off.
  • 02drinker
    02drinker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YES! I always want to take it off, but then remind myself why I wear it (motivation to keep moving.) I love jewelry .. but only to look at. I have a hard time wearing it unless it's small earrings that I don't notice.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I rarely have trouble getting to my 12k step goal because my job keeps me moving all day. But sometimes I don't even come close. It doesn't bother me that much but it does motivate me to at least move a little more. The whole point of the Fitbit is to motivate you to move more because it is good for our health.

I don't wear jewelry because I dislike the feeling so I also was not sure if I would like a wrist tracker but as it turns out don't mind it and when I don't have it on I feel naked. I only take mine off to shower or swim. When I am working out at the dojo I put it on my ankle because I do aikido and we do a lot of wrist grabs.

I think that if getting to your step goal is causing you anxiety and making you do less then you need to change your goal to something more attainable for you. If you don't like the feel of your tracker on the wrist buy a clip on version.

Or perhaps a fitness tracker just isn't right for you.
  • sadiepie05
    sadiepie05 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Have different fitness goals that are not step based.

I couldn't care less about the steps - mere data point, as useful as what time is it (so semi-useful).

This is exactly how I feel! Glad to see I'm not the only one!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have the alta. It's very small - that's why I love it. Actually it feels weird now when I take it off
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I had a FitBit Charge and was constantly taking it off. My hands are in water too much (as you said, washing hands, cleaning, doing dishes, etc.). I replaced it with a One and I find it works much better for my lifestyle. It's attached to me almost always and it catches all my steps, whether I'm getting the pool and play sprinklers ready for the kids (hello water) or taking a long summer walk (no tan line on my wrist). I think you just have to find what works for you, whatever that looks like for you, your lifestyle, and your own personality! :)