Introductions

Options
Smurfe04
Smurfe04 Posts: 54 Member
Hi, I am Steve. I started this group after a recent post in the introduction forum about a group for members who are 50 years of age or older. I thought this was a great idea to have a core group of similar age folks who might have a bit in common to have a place to gather around and chat, motivate, support and guide each other in our journey to lose weight. We know that we will have more of a struggle than the young folks. Please leave an introduction post so we can get to know you better and join together to work together to lose these extra pounds.

Replies

• Smurfe04
    Options
    Hello all, my name is Steve. I am 54 years old and I live in Southeast Louisiana outside of Baton Rouge in Gonzales Louisiana which is the Jambalaya Capital of the World. You might imagine my struggle with weight living where I do and having arguably the best food in the nation if not the world all around me. My community has a very good food culture and I have Downtown New Orleans 45 minutes down the road from me.

What I do: I am a paramedic. I have done this job 36 years since I graduated high school. For the past 3 years, I have worked in an administrative office setting as an EMS educator. Since I moved from the EMS unit I have really packed on the pounds with a 35+ pound weight gain. I have always been overweight due to a fast-food diet while working the EMS unit and being totally exhausted after repeated busy shifts and laying on the couch every day off.

My goals: I need to lose 100 pounds. I am 5'6" and weighed in at 261 pounds. I was shocked when I weighed myself on Memorial Day. I pulled the scale out as my size 44 waist pants were too tight. I then set the goal to do something. I logged into My Fitness Pal where I had opened an account in 2011 and never logged back in. I looked around to see how it worked. I then pulled the walking shoes out of the closet that I bought over a year ago and went outside and started walking up and down the street. I started logging everything that went into my mouth in MFP. I bought a Jawbone Up3 fitness tracker to track steps and sleep. This device really keeps me motivated. I have averaged walking 5 miles a day now with my steps at work and such as well as a 3-4 mile evening walk evey day since I started. I have lost 10 pounds this last week.

What I need to learn: I need to learn more about nutrition. I realize that rapid weight loss in not ideal so I need to get on a path that I will develop a lifestyle to keep the weight off. I need education on healthy eating. I note in MFP I intake too much sodium. I know I can't learn all of this overnight and it will take a bit to get in the groove but that's why I liked the idea of this group. I can come to you for advice, tips, tricks, support, and a nudge in the right direction when I need it.

What's your story?????
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mike here. 54 years old and started gaining weight when I got out of the army many years ago (still ate like I was in the army, just didn't work it off like I did then). I've started and stopped MFP a few times over the last few years. After a much less than happy visit with my doctor (who bluntly informed me I was killing myself), I'm back on now with the intent of changing my lifestyle and making it a permanent thing. I'm 5'7" and started at 236 at my heaviest (was at 224 to start with this time). I'm currently about 8 pounds away from putting a "1" in as the first number in my weight. My goal right now is 175, but when I get there I'll evaluate where I'm at and if I want to go for more.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 a mom and I started this journey last year. My daughter graduated college and I suddenly realized I had let myself go. I had put the needs of my family first for over 20 years and it was time to take charge of my life. I have lost 26 lbs so far I have 10 to 15 lbs to go. I track everything I eat and my main concern is getting the protein I need. I don't have to worry about take out as I have a big issue about germs. My Uncle is a chef and he would tell me horrible stories of what they would do and they stuck I don't eat out. LOL

I just started in June doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred which is kicking my butt. I literally just walked daily before that on average 5 miles a day.

Work: I work in customer service the last 6 months we have been short staffed so I have been working 6 days a week if not 7. Right now I am on vacation and just getting things done around the house.

Sodium: I suffer from low bp and I watch my sodium as I don't get enough.
  • lettucewraps4me
    lettucewraps4me Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Lynne Frances 63 diabetic t2 since 2005 i am a carb junkie yes being a army brat in 50s and growing up eating German bread French Bread i became hooked on bread and its my daily downfall I know diabetics are not suppose to do carbs so i am trying to replace all my bread sandwiches with lettuce wraps I love BBQ so the high meat protein is great for me I tossed out all the chips and crackers , i crave salt and crunch, so i will be replacing those with cucumber chips with chicken salad on top. trick my brain into raw veggies, got one of those vegi swirl cutter to make vegies look like pasta low low carb count I do assembly work at a desk i walk with a walker and i do lots of yard work..tai chi wall push ups with dumbells you would think the pounds would drop off nope..i ruin all my exercise results by eating too much carbs so the weight should drop from now on my worst weight 275 in 1995 my lowest weight today from 235 to 229 my goal 175 so i can take all the help and support i can get...my body health age is 73 cancer survivor my mental age on a good day is 23 wink
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    @lettucewraps4me my daughter is type 1 diagnosed at 22 months old she is now 22 years old. She is on an insulin pump. It's all about counting everything and making up your mind. YOu sound like you are on your way. When I started I literally just walked then I added senior citizen exercises then I moved up from there. They have youtube videos of almost every type of exercise. Try the seniors video where they do everything sitting in a chair it'll just help get you flexible. Nothing is out of your reach heck you have days you feel like you're 23 I haven't felt like that in years. LOL
  • TeeboFit2
    TeeboFit2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Scott, Thanks for adding this group Steve! I've been on MFP about two years. Stopped actively using it last summer after starting at a weight of 220 pounds and getting myself down to 185 by working out twice a day and watching my food intake. Since then I decided to stop drinking alcohol and have so for nearly a year already. But, because of that my eating and snacking has increased more! I need to lose about 10-15 pounds again to reach my new goal of 195 lbs. My HBP has been kept well under control through my meds. But, I truly believe more so through exercising daily....
  • Smurfe04
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The stop consuming alcohol has been a tough one for me. Not because I am an alcoholic co:) but because I am a craft beer enthusiast and brewer. The average beers I enjoy are approx 250 calories a pint. I haven't drunk any for about 2-3 months. I sure miss it and has been the hardest craving to curb. I had noticed by eating and snacking really increase as well, particularly salty items which never really interested me in the past.
  • Smurfe04
    Options
    Welcome all! Glad you stopped by to join us. Let's do this together!
  • ZSwerve
    ZSwerve Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am Katherine and I have been using MFP for almost a month. Today, I decided to poke around into the support side of the app and came across this group. I am 55 and have over 100 pounds to lose. I am a yo-yo dieter... but has been years since I seriously made an effort to address my weight. I finally woke up and realized I was quickly on my way to being bedridden if I did not change my ways.

The first few steps have been difficult. I had become so sedentary that my idea of exercise was walking to the car. I have been blessed with co-workers and friends that have been supporting me with beginning to move again. The first few walks around the building left me breathless and red faced. But after a couple of months, I am walking a couple of miles without issue. For anyone that is where I was, it can be done!

I look forward to getting to know all of you and hope as I become more in tuned with my body that I can be a positive contributor to the group.
  • Smurfe04
    Options
    @ZSwerve welcome to our group. Glad to have you join. We are definitely here to support, encourage, and motivate as well as a sounding board when plans get sidetracked.
  • Jacquitheelder
    Jacquitheelder Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jacqui and also live in Louisiana, not far from New Orleans. I'm a music therapist and a bassoon player and followed my military and slender husband when he was stationed here. I'm 61 and have fought the battle of the bulge for my entire life except for the 3 years I was in the Marines. I'm 5'4" and my last doctor visit had me at 175. I'd managed to lose 5 lbs (actually a home scale and fewer clothes probably contributed) and I need to lost 50 pounds. Goal weight is 120. We'll see. Thank you for this group.
  • Smurfe04
    Options
    Welcome aboard Jacqui. We might be neighbors. I live about 45 minutes outside New Orleans. Glad to see a neighbor here!
  • jsue1001
    jsue1001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Janet. I've been a MFP member for a while just hadn't checked out the community section. I'm 58 and retired. So far I've lost about 14 pounds. I've kind of gotten stuck there. Hoping this group will motivate me!!!
  • Smurfe04
    Options
    Welcome Janet. Glad to see you here. I am right there with you on the stuck thing. I lost about what you did and then sort of stopped. I am still losing inches though.
  • annieoldie
    annieoldie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Annie 69, I live in the UK and need to lose 40 lbs. I have had my house renovated and been living off microwave meals for about 4 months while kitchen was cleared extended rewired and then new kitchen fitted. In the 9 months the renovation has taken I have managed to put on 20lbs, I was overweight at the start. I unpacked my scales and was horrified when I stood on them. I tried just cutting down but that was not working so a couple of days ago I rejoined MFP. I have started weighing food and was shocked how many calories were in my "healthy" cheese, coleslaw and walnut and apple salad. I am now logging everything and trying to move more but UK is now in a heatwave ( does not happen that often). I am hoping that recording food and weight plus joining a group might keep me motivated.
  • Smokitopaz56
    Smokitopaz56 Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    YAY a group for us oldies but goodies!!! Thank you, Smurfe04 for starting it! I've been on MFP a while but could use some friendly accountability! I am in Vancouver, Wa. 59 years old....60 is looming large on the horizon, and I would like to cast a smaller shadow by the time I get there. I've lost large amounts of weight twice before-maybe this time I can do better at keeping it off. I will enjoy reading all the introductions, and hope to find some kindred souls that I can look forward to being MFP friends with as we travel this road together. Thanks for peeking in on me! Friend requests welcomed.
    I am using the MFP to log my meals and track progress, a FitBit to track my activity, and Yes.Fit, a virtual race site, to give me goals to look forward to, that I can achieve. I am only 11 miles short of my first completed race-66 miles in 3 weeks. I have cut out sweets (not all the hidden sugars, just the donuts, candy, etc) because it is a real trigger for me. It is helping me maintain cravings better. I've lost 19 pounds since day one (this round) on MFP, and have about 70 more to go. I am currently day 74.
  • tjfranklin301
    tjfranklin301 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all( : I'm Tina. Just wanted to introduce myself real fast while I have a moment. I live in Dubberly, Louisiana. Have a major addiction to food, when I have alil' more time I'll go more into that.. Happy to be a part of this group & maybe get alil' encouragement. Looking forward to making some friendships along the way. GOD BLESS AND GOOD CHOICES!!!
  • Smurfe04
    Options
    Hi Tina, welcome to our group.
  • tjfranklin301
    tjfranklin301 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank ya( :
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow fifty+ folk.

I'm 53 and having been rather immobilised by illness for the past four years, I am just starting building a little fitness again. My mobility scooter is thankfully gathering dust, and I've at last been able to buy new walking shoes for their intended purpose.

My weight is now 158lbs and I would like to bring it down to about 140lbs or below.

This will still be mostly by calorie restriction, as exercise is still not burning much. Hopefully my fitness can build a bit gradually, and I'll be able to properly use exercise to aid dieting in the not too distant future.

I once did the 8 hour eating window thing... I ate only between 11am and 7pm. I think I'll go back to that, along with portion control....

Day One is tomorrow! :smile: