tips to stop binge urges?

Options
nad1996
nad1996 Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
Hey all I am so sick of this binge restrict cycle. I know there are lots of sites out there that give tips to stop bingeing but I wanna hear personally from you guys what are the ways that help you stop those urges :) am determined to kick this binge monster away from today onwards!

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Have all binge foods removed. Keep some safe foods around. Eat three meals and a snack per day. Eat more than 1200 calories a day, or more depending on your age, height and weight. Look after your mental, emotional and spiritual health, be good to yourself in this regad. Best thoughts going your way!
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Get a binder and some binder paper. Make a list of all triggers (emotions, bad memories, etc...). Then write down all different kinds of ways you use or do to help you when you are triggered. Make sure they are simple, inexpensive, and accessible. Examples: Watching a funny video, drinking hot tea, taking a walk, counting 1-8 repeatedly to help center yourself, calling a hotline number, drawing. Review and change plan when needed.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yoga stretches and meditation helps immmensly. Food sn't the answer.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Normalize your eating. 3 meals and a few snacks. And I mean full meals- carbs, protein fat at each one. Understand that it will feel weird, scary, uncomfortable for a while, but keep going. I realized I was scared, Uncomfortable and anxious already anyway. Some say, get rid of binge foods- that absolutely didn't work for me. I've been doing the opposite w great success. I keep eating my binge foods. It started w my fear and anxiety of eating triggering a binge, but I kept going. Every day I tried to eat three fills meals and a few snacks (without any exercise compensation!) I am so happy to say I can now eat without bingeing. I need to stay vigilant as I can be tempted to skip a meal, cheat and eat too little... And every single time it will result in a pull towards a binge, but get rid of the restriction and the bingeing will start to disappear. The key for me however was not just being done w restriction in terms of calories but even eating a just a few types of foods. That was just a diff type of restriction. It's actually been fun now discovering what I really like or am in the mood to eat. Literally nothing is off limits. My weight went down from bec of the lack of bingeing. I still work really hard to appreciate what my body can do and not focus on appearance as that was always a losing game- even when I was severely underweight it wasn't thin enough. I have to tune many many people out (including my husand) who will eat 1/2 a cookie or order things without bread... All in the interest of saving calories- that doesn't work for me. Last thing (sorry this is so long) as important as normalizing your eating (and really eating!) is stress management. Learning to sit w difficult feelings and not react. Reach out to friends, pets, go for walks, appreciate subsets, get massages, journal, listen to music, draw... Get as many tools in your toolbox. My bad days are bad, my great days are great and that's not driven but what I ate or didn't eat... I am 45 years old and HAD an Ed for about 2.5 decades. I say that only bec it's possible to change your relationship w food and yourself!!!

Sending you big hugs!!!!