Overcoming Chronic Pain One Day At A Time

Options
ricknsmca
ricknsmca Posts: 10 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Hello! Everyone; Everyday I wake up in pain sometimes really bad and sometimes not so bad. I look out my window every morning doing some meditation. I see that this is a new day and throughout the day, I don't need to focus on my pain. I have gone from real bad pain (11 neck surgeries, a valve replacement, and 3 knee replacements on the same knee) to where with aquatic exercises and swimming it has gotten a whole lot better. My neurosurgeon said that although he might be able to make life a little more bearable by surgery that I would run a 45% chance of being paraplegic. I have a family that I love, and so much to be able to give to others that I opted out of and accepted life as it is now. I hope I can be an inspiration to others and help them on their voyages through life. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Replies

• Stevesmith49
    Stevesmith49 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your positive post and you certainly are an inspiration! I stopped all my pain meds some time ago in order to get back to work and try live as normal a life as possible.
    I try to take each day as it comes and live in the moment as much as possible too, I'm learning mindfulness meditation but it's not easy lol
    Thanks again for your positive post and have a great week ahead.

Steve ☺
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What you're doing is fantastic! My doctor want me to try meditation. I guess I really don't know how. I've read up on it. I've downloaded apps. I guess I just haven't found something that suits me. I'm still looking and when I find it, I hope it helps me as much as you!!
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I walk in the pool in chest deep water. It's very peaceful and low stress. If you focus on the feeling of the water moving around your body, it's very much like meditation. You can add a mantra such as, I am moving toward health with every step. Just keep repeating that in your mind. Meditation doesn't have to be sitting silently. I really like moving meditations like this.