deload after break for the wendler people

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
for people who are doing wendler, what do you do for deload/reset if you've taken unprogrammed time off? this past week was supposed to be my 5/3/1 in the cycle, but i just haven't done it. went to the gym only one day this week (monday) and iirc missed all my main weights anyway.

i'm pretty tempted to do the deload part of the cycle this week anyway, and then instead of moving back up, go back to the start of this one and do it again. but i don't know if that's just me chickening out and starting to restrict myself to only things i feel like i can do and get an easy win at.

so the alternative would be to re-do 3's week this week, and then try for 5/3/1 the week after that. any thoughts? this feels like a plateau stall and not just a blip, for whatever that's worth. although i know you're not 'supposed' to plateau with wendler, let's just say that i've gotten into heaviest-ever-for-me turf on all of the weights, and i've been levelling off.

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I would just do the 531 week and start the next cycle the following week. A week off here and there is really no big deal. If anything it will drop some built up fatigue allowing you to lift more.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    thanks for the thought. i'll try that . . . can't pretend i'm not scared of it though.

• scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I see on the other thread that you already went ahead, but want to chime in that if it's one week or less, I just stay the course and haven't noticed issues. So far my longer-than-one-week breaks have been planned vacations, so I've played with the schedule leading up to it to make the break fall before/after/during deload week. That way I can either do the light week when I come back or deload a little for the new cycle.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    update now that the keep-on-trucking week is over. i failed at the heaviest rep for the overhead press, but not by that much and at least i had enough gas to make three progressively-closer attempts to do it.

everything else was a pass even though i had had the week off. so thanks for the encouragement to go ahead and try it, since i probably wouldn't have talked myself into it on my own.