Considering Weight Loss Surgery

Options
Jesslynn3282
Jesslynn3282 Posts: 53 Member
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone has had weight loss surgery? I actually posted just in MFP regular postings and got the brunt of people who feel because I emotionally eat that I would not be good for weight loss surgery because I would only continue to eat that way afterwards. I was just curious if anyone has had the Lap Band ? I'm interested more in hearing success stories or even bad stories to help me decide.

Replies

• Monterae
    Monterae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Jesslynn! I was going to reply to your other post but then saw it was removed. So I'm glad I found this one--this is gonna be a novel, so be prepared LOL. I had the mini-gastric bypass in 2008. I've 5"4' and was 252 on the day of surgery. My mother had the same surgery in 2003 (I think) and my brother had it the year before I did in 2007. My cousin had a RNY two years ago. So I come of a fat family and we're all emotional eaters. While I may be biased toward more a gastric-bypass rather than the lap-band, it really is a personal choice. I did look at all surgeries before I chose mine and saw that the lap-band was not as successful. There's usually a 10-15% bounce back in weight gain once you get to where your body is comfortable; this is something I've noticed from reading on message boards and support groups on facebook; and it's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to be mindful of. My mom has had a few medical issues (non-wls related) and has gained about 40lbs back. My brother has also gained weight--but has a poor diet. I got down to 142 (so minus 100lbs) in 2012. By 2014 the honeymoon period was definitely over and I was back into old eating habits--lots of soda, sugar, candy, carbs carbs carbs...mmm, I love carbs. I got up to 176 in March of 2015. I thought no way am I gonna go back where I was. So I started weight watchers on my own. For a year I did that and lost 30lbs. I'm not down to 141lbs and am counting macros. I did notice that the more protein I ingest, the easier it is for my wls tool to keep my weight off rather than when I eat carbs and sugar (which are my favorites). So yes, wls WILL work for emotional eaters but you have to be cognizant of it. I say go for it! I don't regret it at all. I have had some low-iron anemia issues and did have to have a blood transfusion in 2012/2013....but I did not take my vitamins at all that year so it was all on me! I am a vitamin-freak now. Good luck!
  • rce884
    rce884 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Jesslynn3282, I have not had it yet. but i understand the fear. i was just posting on fb how i am afraid i will be to weak to stop drinking pop and eating pizza. but when i took these concerns to the social worker, nurse and dietitian as well as the psychiatrist (all mandated by the bariatric program before you can have surgery for my program) they all said, your body changes. what you are hungry for changes. and you are not as able to force yourself to eat garbage anymore. now as Monterae said i am having Rou en Y witch does different things to your body including changing hormones i dont think that lap-band does the same thing. i would keep looking into it. i know that talking to someone who has dealt with the before and after made me feel a lot better.
    Monterae, it is always so awesome to hear from someone who has been successful
  • EasyBakeOven
    EasyBakeOven Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Jesslynn! Im currently going through a 12 week mandated course with my insurance that is preparing me to have a Vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG). In this course we have discussed the different surgery options and while my insurance will cover a Lap Band, the doctors that teach the courses seem to have us lean for towards the sleeve or bypass because of the success rate, although they do say that it is a personal choice. From my understanding it seems that there have been a lot of complications with the lap band and as Monerae mentioned a higher percentage of people regain the weight. Because of that information and other research that I have done I am leaning towards the sleeve for my choice. Bypass patients lose weight more rapidly then sleeve patients, which seems like something to consider and depends on your current weight and if you have other co-morbities. For me the sleeve seems like the right option. My course will be over in 3 weeks and I will then be scheduled for surgery. I am very happy that I got to take these classes because i feel really informed about the changes that I have to make in my life and understand that these surgeries are simply a tool to help you lose the weight, but the work has to come from you. In order to be succeful at any weight loss regardless of the surgery you must be committed and do the work, make mental changes and make the right choices in your eating habits. To me having this surgery isn't simply changing me physically, its changing me mentally. I really want this, so I am putting in the work right now to prepare myself for surgery. So, as far as being an emotional eater, I think I am as well, but I want to use this surgery to change my relationship with food.
  • knithound
    knithound Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess!
    I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy on August 23, 2016 - so I'm about a week short of 6 months. My high weight in April 2016 was 271.5. Surgery weight was 246.9 and current weight is 196.3. I'm down 75 pounds from my high weight and 50 from surgery. I have another 40 I'd like to lose. I'm 5'3" and 55 years old. My insurance did not have any pre-op requirements, but my group required a three month monitored diet to get your head in the right place and give you enough time to get all the pre-op testing done. I had to have a psych eval, chest x-ray, blood work, barium swallow and upper GI endoscopy prior to surgery. I did a two week 1000 calorie a day diet before surgery that was covered in the pre-op/post-op eating class (3 hours) I had to take. Currently, I eat about 900 calories a day - mostly protein and drink 64 ounces of water a day. I work out 3-5 times a week. I haven't worked out as much in the last 6 weeks which has stalled my progress a little. I was hoping to be closer to 170 by now, but overall I'm pleased with my results. In 6 months, I've gone from a size 20 to a size 12.

I thought I wanted the lap band, but after discussion with my surgeon, he suggested VSG. It was the best choice for me. I wish you the best of luck. But if you have surgery, understand it is only a tool. If you are an emotional eater, you need to work with a therapist on coping mechanisms once you can no longer use food to cope. I can only eat 3-5 ounces of anything at any given time right now.
  • EasyBakeOven
    EasyBakeOven Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    knithound wrote: »
    Hi Jess!
    I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy on August 23, 2016 - so I'm about a week short of 6 months. My high weight in April 2016 was 271.5. Surgery weight was 246.9 and current weight is 196.3. I'm down 75 pounds from my high weight and 50 from surgery. I have another 40 I'd like to lose. I'm 5'3" and 55 years old. My insurance did not have any pre-op requirements, but my group required a three month monitored diet to get your head in the right place and give you enough time to get all the pre-op testing done. I had to have a psych eval, chest x-ray, blood work, barium swallow and upper GI endoscopy prior to surgery. I did a two week 1000 calorie a day diet before surgery that was covered in the pre-op/post-op eating class (3 hours) I had to take. Currently, I eat about 900 calories a day - mostly protein and drink 64 ounces of water a day. I work out 3-5 times a week. I haven't worked out as much in the last 6 weeks which has stalled my progress a little. I was hoping to be closer to 170 by now, but overall I'm pleased with my results. In 6 months, I've gone from a size 20 to a size 12.

I thought I wanted the lap band, but after discussion with my surgeon, he suggested VSG. It was the best choice for me. I wish you the best of luck. But if you have surgery, understand it is only a tool. If you are an emotional eater, you need to work with a therapist on coping mechanisms once you can no longer use food to cope. I can only eat 3-5 ounces of anything at any given time right now.

Great response! I think its so funny how different everyone is with preop procedures. Guess it just depends where you are...Thanks for sharing!
  • Cathance92
    Cathance92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 10/12/2016, and have lost 69 lbs to date. My only regret was not doing it before. It was been an amazing experience with absolutely no regrets. My surgeon does no lap-bands anymore, as most require a revision at some point. It was never a considered option for me. Insurance does play a huge part in this process. I was fortunate that my only insurance requirement was that I complete all components pre and post surgery. My surgeon only required a 2 day clear liquid diet pre-surgery to help shrink my liver. Other insurances and surgeons require classes, a certain amount of weight loss pre-surgery, counseling, etc. The VSG is not a cure all for being overweight; it's a tremendous tool, but does require a commitment to mentally handle the change in your eating for the rest of your life. But that change will make you healthier and ultimately happier. I hope this helps.