Sunscreen and bug spray....

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
I cant seem to find brands that dont run and sting my eyes!! Ugh....what do you use?

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I use a children's mineral sunscreen spf 30. It goes on white and feels a bit sticky, but it is the only sunsceeen I can wear on my face. Zinc oxide 14.5% ? and titanium dioxide? (Sorry, going off my terrible memory) are the sunscreen ingredients. Anything with those or only zinc should work without stinging.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I use suncream especially for my face. Feels more moisturising and not as greasy as normal sun cream.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I find that all I can do is be sure to put the sunscreen on at least an hour before I go out to sweat.
    I sweat a lot and, not having any hair to contain it, it pours down into my eyes. I have experimented with kids' sunscreens and gentle sunscreens and waterproof sunscreens, etc. None of them work for me. I still get stinging.
    But putting it on early does. I don't know why. Maybe it gets absorbed better before the sweat comes along?
  • mkakids
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I find that all I can do is be sure to put the sunscreen on at least an hour before I go out to sweat.
    I sweat a lot and, not having any hair to contain it, it pours down into my eyes. I have experimented with kids' sunscreens and gentle sunscreens and waterproof sunscreens, etc. None of them work for me. I still get stinging.
    But putting it on early does. I don't know why. Maybe it gets absorbed better before the sweat comes along?

Hmm...something to think about. I usually only wake up 15-20 mins before a run, but maybe if i leave the sunscreen on my nightstand, set the alarm for an hour before and just snooze until i have to get up? Im usually running around 6 am, so I dont need sunscreen for most of the year...but right now I do.

• mkakids
    Options
    I use suncream especially for my face. Feels more moisturising and not as greasy as normal sun cream.

Ive tried a few of these and they still run and sting. :(

at least I was able to to use just as lotion when I wont be running in the heat.
  • mkakids
    Options
    I use a children's mineral sunscreen spf 30. It goes on white and feels a bit sticky, but it is the only sunsceeen I can wear on my face. Zinc oxide 14.5% ? and titanium dioxide? (Sorry, going off my terrible memory) are the sunscreen ingredients. Anything with those or only zinc should work without stinging.

Do you remember the name?
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    It's the Alba Very Emollient children's mineral and is in a blue tube. It's cheap and I burn at the slightest, but it's been effective for me. You are supposed to remember to squeeze the tube a little to mix it up to make it more effective.

I read in a dermatology book that you can put the mineral sunscreens on the night before (but not the regular chemical ones) and it will still be effective in the morning if you didn't sweat too much in the night. I do this sometimes and it's worked fine for me.

I assume other mineral kids' ones would be okay (suncreen ingredients are 14.5% zinc oxide, 1.5% titanium dioxide I think - I looked this morning when I put it on, but already forgot lol).
  • runbabarun
    runbabarun Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a throwback headband would get the job done! :)
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Great idea. Dual purpose in keeping my headphones from falling out B)
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I wear a cap and sunglasses and not put sunscreen on anywhere above my eyes. I sweat a lot so I need something to catch the sweat from getting to my eyes anyways, so, it works for me.