Link to article telling how to save money using your Fitbit

Options
1skholloway
1skholloway Posts: 341 Member
I just found this article this morning so I haven't tried any of these. I have read negative reviews of programs such as Pact. I am going to link my Fitbit with Walgreens and Dick's Sporting Goods apps to see if it's worth it to me. I will also check with my insurance carrier but I don't think this will apply to me. I hope this is good information.

http://www.makingsenseofcents.com/2016/07/ways-to-earn-money-with-a-fitbit.html

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I use pact and haven't had any problems with them. Anytime something glitches, I just email them and they sort it out for me. Maybe I'm just lucky there.

Walgreens is another one I use. It takes awhile, but it's nice to get $5-10 off a purchase (I bought some make-up once and only paid $0.25 because of the balance awards I had saved up from just walking around).

There is also a program called Achievemint that gives you points for health activities (connects to fitbit/jawbone/myfitnesspal and other apps). When you reach 10k points, you get $10. They actually recently redid the program, you used to be able to get $25 or $50 in a GC of your choice or paypal deposit or check or deposit to checking account. Since they redid the program I don't know how the awards are payed out, but I have gotten $200 from them in the past (4 x $50 payouts). I'm up to 3k points since they redid it (point earning is a bit slower than it used to be, but they lifted the earning limit they used to have which I had previously hit).
  • 1skholloway
    1skholloway Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great information @shadow2soul ! I will definitely check out Achievemint! What a great way to make money! Also, it sounds like it might actually motivate me to move more!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    There's an app called Bounts that I like - https://www.bounts.it/

It probably took me a year to earn enough points for a gift card, but I redeemed for a $25 Gap card recently. You get points for walking 7k steps in a day (if you walk more, I don't think you get extra points) and there's a rewards wheel that you can spin for extra points (I forget how you earn spins...I open the app every couple weeks or so and let it sync, lol). I think they're based in the UK, but there's no issue using it in the US.

I stopped using Pact because getting 10k steps a day is tough for me right now, and I don't always log 3 meals of food on the weekends and was having my food logs flagged because of this. I was eating plenty of calories (usually 1500+) but because it wasn't in 3 sections, I was getting flagged for undereating. A minor detail, sure, but I didn't want to be emailing support weekly/remembering to log something in another meal just to earn a few cents each week.

~Lyssa
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Can I get a link to Achievement? Googling it is NOT helpful.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Finally saw the odd spelling and it came up. Pact is not getting good reviews right now. Fitbit isn't syncing or even connecting, users not able to take pictures of foods, not getting refunds from customer services. I'm staying away from that one unless and until they get that sorted out.

I've joined AchieveMint and Bounts. I was already with Walgreens.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    No Android app for AchieveMint. :disappointed:

Are there any issues just using the desktop site?
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    No Android app for AchieveMint. :disappointed:

Are there any issues just using the desktop site?

I've been using the AchieveMint desktop site for about three years and it works just fine. You give permission for your Fitbit to sync with AchieveMint, just like it would to other programs like MFP.

It's very recent, like in the past few months that AchieveMint came out with the iPhone app and they are working on an app for Android now too. But it's worked just fine for me with the desktop, as that's all they had before.

When I joined back then, there was a wait list. You signed to be on the list and when they had a spot, they invited you to join. It took me about a year (back then) to earn a $50 Visa gift card. I thought that was pretty sweet, especially since all I had to do was link my Fitbit and nothing else. Now earning points is slower, but I don't mind.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    If you are a member of AARP, you can link there and get Rewards for Good points as well. Mostly discounts but some national and local options that might make it worth your time to do the linking. I have used the Walgreens site to earn rewards quicker, I get $10 about every couple of months and since I shop there regularly it is worth it.

Thanks for listing the other sites. I had forgotten to keep looking for opportunities, since I am doing the steps anyway, why not get rewards?
  • KaeChelleA
    KaeChelleA Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I use Pact and StepBet. Those two are kind of like betting on yourself. If you don't meet your goals, you are out money. It does motivate me to get my steps and earn a few bucks!

I haven't had too many problems with Pact until yesterday. I keep having to re-link my Fitbit account to it. There are other options for exercise such as using your phone as a motion tracker or checking into a gym for at least 30 minutes. You can also link Pact to MFP and earn money for logging meals. Any issues I've encountered, they have fixed for me and I haven't been charged extra.

Here's a tip if you use Pact. Set your goals each week at a time. Scroll to the following week and pause your pacts. Unpause when Monday comes back around and repeat. I do this as a caution in case something happens to me (or my phone), so my credit card doesn't end up with tons of charges.