Newbie struggle!

Options
hi everyone i've just started SL and iam on week two.
My problem is that the lightest plates in my gym weigh 2.5 kg meaning i have to increase a total of 5 kg each exercise.
I can't buy fractional plates at the moment so iam stuck with those.
What are your advices? Do I need to change the program to another one?

Replies

• parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello!

If you are struggling with the 2.5 KG fractionals, then I would still stick with the empty bar for a while. What might help is trying to fit in some accessory work for your arms/shoulders/lats/general upper body. Maybe doing some bicep curls, overhead tricep extension, lat pull down machine or some other weight machine that focuses on your arms.

I honestly could follow my own advice...but alas.

I feel for you! Regardless of which lift you're doing (I assume bench or OHP), we as women unfortunately struggle with our upper bodies. And overhead press is the hardest lift to push past (no pun intended).

Don't be so hard on yourself! I am glad that you're getting through week two. Keep it up!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    when i was doing sl and struggling with adding a whole 5 pounds for overhead press, i got around the lack of fractionals by keeping the same weight but adding reps to each set instead.

so after i'd done 5x5 with 45 pounds, i'd stay at 45 pounds. but the next workout a, i'd do 5 sets of 6, then in the next one 5 sets of 7 . . . i even built me a spreadsheet to show me how many reps at 45 pounds was the same overall volume of weight as 5x5 at 50 pounds :p but i'm nerdy that way.

anyway, it helped me to make the transition more easily whenever i did decide it was time to increase.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I have a set of 1 lb wrist and ankle weights. Which is good for me since I work at home and have 2.5 lb weights. I strap them on. Canadianslbs way is a great idea. That is what I kinda do with my Kettlebell.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i also made my own microweights by buying two 1lb lengths of chain from a hardware store and sewing them into a loop inside of old socks.

the socks were to keep them from scratching the plating off the bars, since i don't lift at home. i admit that i never used them much though. i was too shy about their home-madeyness in that same public space. but the idea is there.
  • fatimaelmustafa
    fatimaelmustafa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replys. I'll definitely try what you've suggested.