Get to Know Each Other!

Options
KittyInBoots
KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
First, I wanna say thank you to all who have joined. I am really excited this many of you were interested! Wee may not be the biggest group but sometimes that is for the better!

I am actually normally not a leader type in real life! I am a reserved person but thought I'd start the group because I feel sometimes we all need that extra boost of motivation and support!

I have been on MFP for almost a year. I joined last year after I hit my 30th birthday and was at my biggest - 267 pounds!!! It was terrible! I looked and felt awful! Nothing - and I do mean nothing - has ever worked to get these pounds off! Til MFP changed that!

I met plenty of cool and friendly, awesome supportive people over the past year. I am down almost 60lbs... something I never thought I could do! Ever!

So I think with this group we can discuss all those little things along the way. Food, exercise, successes, and pretty much anything in your daily life that affects your journey here!

Feel free to tell us a little bit about yourself! Let's do this and get Fit For Fall!

Replies

• Steph2285
    Steph2285 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi KittyInBoots! Congrats on your loss! That's really awesome!

I'm Stephanie, or Steph, and I've been on & off MFP for a few years. Every time I really use it, I definitely notice! I'm currently at the biggest I've ever been & I absolutely HATE it. I'm 31 & it really is harder to maintain & especially to lose weight! I'm only like 5'2" so these extra 30+lbs look like a LOT. My dream weight is 130-135, but I don't think that's realistic for my body. I haven't been that small since like before high school haha (I wasn't big in HS! I have just always weighed more then I look) my realistic goal weight is around 140ish. Even that's going to be a stretch. But I'm definitely going to try
  • cassieodriscoll
    cassieodriscoll Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am Cassie and really want to shift a few (quite a few!!!) extra pounds I have put on as a side effect of some new medications (although I know I can't keep using that as an excuse anymore I just need to make more of an effort to loose and then maintain my weight)

I am currently at the biggest I have ever been at 160 pounds but I was a115 pounds only a few years ago and would like to get back to a similar sort of weight! Being the same height as you Steph I know what you mean by saying the pounds seem more visible!

I am glad to hear that both of you have had success with MFP as I have only been on here for 4 days now! I am going on honeymoon at the end of october and would like to have shifted 10pounds by then so I have just over 8 weeks- I hope that's a realistic goal but I have no idea what is realistic and what isn't!! I am all very new to weight loss,diet and exercise.

Congrats KittyInBoots on your weight loss so far having done so well I have no doubt you will be a brilliant leader to inspire the rest of us to reach our goals!

Love to all

Cassie

• cschof18
    cschof18 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    My name is Carly. I've been on MFP do years however mostly just a lurker.. I am just starting to really actively log my food and participate in the community forums.

I have reached my highest weight of 325 and can't believe how much weight I've put on mostly in the last year or so. I am slowly getting back into it and have had to put my pride aside for a little while. I used to be quite fit so it has taken a lot for me to realize I may only be able to do one lap around the block or 20 minutes on the elliptical. Needless to say, I am working hard and gradually increasing my strength and endurance.

I am super pumped about this group and can't wait to have a few individuals to chat with and bounce ideas around with.

My ultimate goal is to be 180 but it's more than just about the number for me!

Thanks for starting the group :)
  • Interbeing
    Interbeing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, I'm Todd and I'm a 57yo cyclist living in Austin, TX, but originally from Canada. I joined MFP about 9 months ago after being on MapMyRide for the past few years. I was fairly active when I was younger and then slowly packed on the pounds until I reached 270 in 1998 at age 40. After a health scare I decided to make a lifestyle change and with the help of a nutritionist, became vegan, and also began a fitness program, with running as the anchor, and supplementing it with strength training and sprint triathlons. Over the next year I lost approximately 80 lbs, and have been able to maintain a somewhat fit condition every since with my weight staying in the 200 lb range for the most part, with lapses in fitness at times, mainly due to sports injuries. Today I maintain a more diverse diet, cycle regularly, and augment my cycling with strength training, swimming, rowing, hiking and walking. Due to knee problems I cannot run anymore. I have lost about 16-18 lbs since last fall and have been in maintenance mode for the last few months. I am feeling good about both my diet and fitness program, and plan to continue to be active on MFP to help me to maintain my weight and fitness levels and share with others in our fitness journey.

Best wishes to all, I look forward to sharing with the group!
  • HaloTopzz
    HaloTopzz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Jenna and I've struggled with my weight for the last 16 years. About 6 years ago, I went from a size 16 to a size 10/12 by eating right and exercising, but unfortunately, the weight crept back on and I'm now a size 18. I'm about 230 pounds and my first goal is to get to 175. My first priority is to cut out the junk food and start exercising again.
  • CathyFullan150
    CathyFullan150 Posts: 65 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi Everyone - I'm Cathy. I only joined MFP a little over a month ago after seeing my doctor for my annual physical. When I saw her, I weighted 286. I'm down to 277 now, and I owe it all to MFP and all the true "pals" I've made here in the last few weeks. My user name is CathyFullan150. I'm not sure if the 150 is because I want to lose 150 pounds, or because I want to reach a weight of 150. Quite frankly, I'd be over the moon if I could achieve either goal. But for now, my short-term goal is to lose 10% of my starting weight, which would be 28.6 pounds. I just recently went back to the gym, and signed up for personal trainer sessions 2x a week. I also love to swim, so will be doing a lot of that either in my local lake, or at the gym when the weather gets colder. I have every exercise DVD known to man, so I plan to really utilize them this month (and beyond). At least 3 a week is my goal for September.

Welcome to all who have joined this group, and congrats to all who have shared their successes. I find the success stories inspire me beyond belief. I'm so grateful to @KittyInBoots for starting up this group, and laying our the rules that this will be a no bully/no drama zone! Kindness and support is what it's all about in my world. Let's have the greatest September ever!!
  • KittyInBoots
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Great to meet you guys- and re-meet the ones I already know!!! Love it!

And thank you so much for the compliments, I hope for success for all of us!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm 'Tia'. Kitty and I connected over our love for cats and clothes :-D
    So I may not look big now but I'm no stranger to losing/gaining weight. I lost 30lbs 9 years ago and go up and down the same 10lbs now, which I am looking to just be rid of already. It's a struggle for sure but I am trying to make improvements slowly and just being more conscious and aware when I'm eating. I joined MFP years ago after I lost the 30lbs to stay accountable and network. This is honestly the most active I've ever been on it b/c I finally met people who like to be more interactive!!! I love it.
    I've done a lot of different ways of eating but none of it stuck until now. I'm really into intuitive eating but I do count sometimes if I wanna speed things up! I am vegan as well which I love sooo much. Happy to be here and support everyone!
  • Andersonhea
    Andersonhea Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Heather. I have been on and off MFP for a few years. I have hypothyroidism and have suffered bouts of depression which make losing weight difficult. Stress at work and home have played a major factor the last few years. I am a teacher (grade 2) and my husband has been ill. He was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and he is starting to get better. My highest weight was 201.8 lbs which is not a good look on a 5'3" person. As much as I have tried to stay focused since December it has been a struggle. Along with teaching full time I am also taking on line classes to teach English as a Second Language (EAL).
  • ziggysky
    ziggysky Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello! :)

I'm 27 and I'm hopeing to loose weight get healthier and happier.
    I really want to improve my health through healthy eating and exersice.
    This group sounds cool and I hope we all meet our goals.
    September 1st my starting weight was 199.8 I want to eat allot of healthy plant based foods.
    When I was younger I loved sports and I hope to get my health back.
  • KittyInBoots
    Options
    LOL@ cats and clothes! Love it!

I really appreciate everyone's honesty already! Everyone is so awesome here! We can do this!!!
  • halldahlia
    halldahlia Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I started using MFP frequently last year, I was away for a bit but now I'm finally back. My weight is a constant struggle to maintain as I live with many physical health disorders. I lost almost 20lbs last year, but it crept up on me again since I had to take leave due to my health. I'm back at the starting line and hope I can make it to the finish this year without medical interruption!

Let's meet our goals, everyone!
  • MarnitaJoy
    MarnitaJoy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey hey! I'm so happy to be here. I'm 32 near Virginia Beach, VA. I started to workout and eat better because of a recent health scare. It's so sad that I had let my weight and diet get so bad but I'm on top of things to make it right.. Not just for me but for my son.

I've always been the athletic type but I let the "I'm a mom, I have to take care of everyone else" mindset take over.. To the point that I stopped working out all together and would eat terribly. The most exercise I would get was going grocery shopping lol! After landing in the hospital with breathing and heart issues I knew it was time to take my life back.

I would like to lose about 40 lbs but above all I want to get healthy and athletic again!
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I have been on MFP on and off for several years. When I am on, I am usually doing well and losing weight. When I am off, I have given up and I am gaining weight: loosing and gaining the same 10 pounds or so, over and over. I did loose 40 pounds when I turned 40, eight years ago. I am happy that I have kept off 30 of it, and now want to make those last 10 stay away for good! Right now, all my clothes are too tight and I feel uncomfortable all the time. Not gonna buy new ones. Need to just eat like I know I should!
  • diannemcal
    diannemcal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi all ... I am Dianne.

I guess I'm the grandma of the group. I am 61 years old. 3 kids ... 7 grandchildren! I have had serious health issues since I was 15. On September 2nd of last year I had my aortic valve removed and had a metal one put in its place on the heels of being very ill for a year. It was a very long recovery process but I am finally back at the gym. I am 5'5". My highest weight was 253. I'm currently 235 ... Weight loss is extremely slow for me. I can't seem to get the scale to budge. I take 6 different medications ... morning and night and I suspect that is not helping since so many of them target keeping my heart beat slow.

I love this community and being in league with so many who can understand the frustrations and are fighting the same battle. I could definitely use some encouragement as it gets discouraging when you're tracking your meals and going to the gym and working as hard as you can and the scale isn't moving. I know there are other health benefits other than that number and I'm going to keep at it but I sure appreciate all of you and being a part of this community. Have a great day!

• 003julie
    003julie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm julie,
    I've been on mfp for 2 year. I was diagnosed as prediabetic last dec so need to lose weight before my next check this dec, but ive actually gained 7lb since then so need to try harder. I'm a lifelong vegetarian. I love this app cos it really works if you keep to the cals set, and i like to see how much sugar/carb/protein ive eaten. As soon as i stop logging food my diet goes out of control so it looks like im here for life lol.