Rest week/ deload

Options
Do you ladies regularly plan time off or for deloading across all lifts? What does that look like for you?

Replies

• Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No but I deload when I'm overly annoyed with my form. Usually I go down 10 pounds.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    When I was doing SL I did deload every so often maybe every 6-8 weeks. I think it depends on your progression. Some people stall or deload to work on form so they aren't advancing as fast, but some people who are naturally strong or have previous athletic experience progress faster and need the breaks.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    i do it a lot, relatively. but i don't plan it, because what if a week came along when i needed it and it wasn't part of The Plan?

i deload when my form drifts and the weight's so heavy that i'm fighting too hard with that to put anything right. or when i'm tired. tbh, if my body wants me to deload it happens whether i planned it or not.

edit to answer less frivolously: i think it's good to leave room in your mind that sooner or later you'll want to deload. that way you'll be more likely to do it when you need to do it. but i find lifting is too up-and-down for just putting it into a schedule and leaving it there. i'm lifting on the wendler system now, which sets one week as 'deload' out of every four. it was fine for three or four cycles for me, b ut lately i'm finding myself less and less ready to start the next cycle when the sheet says i'm 'meant' to come out of deload. so it's a mmv thing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm needing to do it right now. I'm taking a week off then deloading.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. :) After my workout on Friday I was just feeling trashed and not sure if I need time off or what. Going to try to figure out what's right for me and my body right now. :)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I should add for anyone new and lurking there are two different types of deloads. One is a planned "light" week which could be a week completely off, a week with lower volume, a week with lower intensity, or any combination of the above. There is also a deload where you lower the weights because of failure or form and work your way back up.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    I don't plan it. Life in general makes it happen. For example I'm going on vacation next month and won't be lifting for 11 days. I will bring my Kettlebell with to keep me in shape. When I get back I will deload 10-15%. This happens about 4 times a year.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a true complete week off from lifting since December of 2013. I will however take one week about every six weeks and go off my normal lifting schedule and do things like work on form, play with Kettlebells, Rings, or do stuff I don't normally do.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on it, but I have to take some time off because I had surgery friday to remove a few veins from my leg. I can't do any lifting that involves my legs. I am going to do much lighter benchpress and some other arm workouts and some light walking on the treadmill. I will really miss my routine. Hope I'm not out too long.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this today! So whipped after today's lifting. Just exhausted and it took 1.5 hours! Getting heavier and longer break between sets so it's dragging out. Just posted this in the daily thread-but I'm looking at mad cow as an option...

But good to know a break or deloading is popular enough! I'll be in good company ;)