Fitbit Alta- can it be converted into a clip on ?

Options
OneTwentyThree
OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
edited September 2016 in Social Groups
I was planning on getting the Fitbit One but it is no longer available. I like the idea of having a fitbit as a bracelet but also the ability to turn it into a clip on similar to the fitbit one. Is this possible with the alta or any of the other ones ? Also will it recognize calories during exercise like this, or only while walking ? Thanks.

Replies

• WynterDreaming
    WynterDreaming Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    While I have no comment on the Fitbit Alta, I just checked the Fitbit store on their website and the One is still there, available for purchase, for $99.95 if it still interests you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The problem with wearing the wrist designed units on the body or the body designed units on the wrist, is the difference in programming for the wrist units.

They are trying to read an accurate impact amount from foot steps despite the arm swinging, so they have some extra programming to allow that.

Put that device on the hip, it may be too sensitive since there are no arm swings.
    Put a body device on the wrist, it may not be sensitive enough.

So the amount you walk daily and how serious your arm movements - could cause a decent difference.

Not-step based exercise wasn't going to be great with either one really, like elliptical or biking, ect.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    The problem with wearing the wrist designed units on the body or the body designed units on the wrist, is the difference in programming for the wrist units.

It does seem like that would be an issue, but Fitbit actually markets an accessory to wear your Flex as a pendant. So, unless there's something special about the Flex, it seems like it isn't unreasonable to wear the Alta in a different way.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And I am going off info and stats gained on the older units, not these newer ones.
    Chipsets have changed. And of course the algorithms can be changed anyway.

Before you could have multiple devices on account - because I remember the tester using same device in both spots - but had to have multiple accounts at that time. (though from current usage, you can only get data from 1 anyway, so same issue).
    That was their test - I had them do known distance walk same pace with it in each spot - showed the same differing results of distance and calories.

Newer ones hopefully contain code for both scenarios, and easy to tell which way it's being used, so use the correct one like.