First Steps on the Path

Options
mashleywls
mashleywls Posts: 1 Member
Hello Everyone!

My name is Michelle and I am on the very first few steps along the gastric bypass journey. I had my weight loss options orientation with Kaiser yesterday, and a week from now I have my first one-on-one appointment with a bariatric physician before I start the 12wk series of pre-op classes.

My estimate is that it may be five months before I receive surgery, so I decided to make a goal for myself of losing 10% of my body weight before then. That way I will be slowly but surely changing my habits as the big day draws near.

I'm so looking forward to sharing support and inspiration with all of you.

-Michelle

Replies

• believefsc
    believefsc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle.

I have my orientation on September 21st and am really looking forward to it. I just finished a book that explained the options, pros/cons and suggestions for success and it's all a little overwhelming. I'm excited though because I feel I'm ready to take this step.

I, too, want to lose 10% of my body weight before surgery. I want to prepare myself for the changes I'll have to make. I didn't really notice how fast I eat and how I don't pay attention to what I'm eating until I read the book - chewing slowly, eating without distractions and not being able to drink water with my meals I believe will be three of my biggest challenges pre-op. I'm on Day 5 of 'water walking' in a local pool and this is the most exercise I've done in a few years. I'm determined to make slow consistent improvements as I prepare for surgery.

I'm looking forward to getting to know some people who are on the same path.

Dana
  • ginthebombshellks
    Options
    Hello Michelle, I hope you are taking it easy. I am one month post op. The biggest issue I have had is drinking enough water. Have you been told about Premier Protein shakes? 30 grams if protein in one shake and you can order it from Amazon if you are still tired from your surgery. Feel free to ask me anything. I have had a great support group and it's been a huge part of my healing process and weight loss process.

Hugs to you! I hope you heal quickly and feel better soon.
  • payntr
    payntr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I am 2 weeks post op and I can say that any weight you can lose before surgery will be a great help. Along with the healthy habits. I started drinking alot of water before and now its second nature. Good luck with your journeys!