Metformin

Options
Hi Ladies

So I had a Consultation with an Endocrinologist yesterday and they were fab! We discussed PCSO and using Metformin to help aid weight loss. However, wants to do some blood tests first and wait for the results. So, at the minute my doctor is considering me for Metformin. I’m still pretty excited about this though!!

I wondered if anyone else had tried Metformin for weight loss and had success?

Replies

• thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ *PCOS
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I used Metformin, but while I was eating what is called a "Standard American Diet," and it helped drop my fasting insulin levels, but I felt terrible mostly while taking it. I have since switched to a low carb diet, dropped the metformin in favor of managing the insulin levels by diet and exercise (test again in October to determine progress of approach), and worked on getting my thyroid and other conditions well managed.

I honestly do not remember with any certainty whether it helped me specifically with weight, but I can tell you that it jumpstarted certain things in my health in the right direction that while I stopped the Metformin over a year ago, I honestly do not think I would be where I am today (feeling and looking better, by far) had I not gotten the start/boost I did with Metformin.

Things I have learned since are that if the XR or immediate release formula does not work for you, switch to the other type. If you still have side effects and such, request the brand name formulation - Glucophage. A gentleman in the low carb group has done a ton of research on this and went from practically being an immodium spokesman to not needing the product to "cope" anymore by switching. If you have digestive/bathroom upset, eliminate dairy 2-4 hours either side of a medication dose, and reduce starchy/sugary carbs, eliminating actual sugars if possible. Both of these things can trigger major distress.

That all being said, best of luck in getting some relief and progress in your health!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394798/t2d-glucophage-name-brand-metformin-generic

This is the link to the Metformin discussion in the Low Carb Group. The group is set to private, so you would need to join to review the thread, but you can always remove yourself from the group later if it isn't for you.
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies.

I really hope my doctor starts me on this medication so I can at least give it a try!! I have already started making low carb choices in my diet, although I am not following any specific plan.

@aSearch4Me Congratualtions and best wishes on your baby girl <3