I'm a little broken (and SL vs. NROLFW)

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
Hi peeps - I know I've been away a bit. I sprained my neck and strained my right trapezius muscle. The how: I rolled over while sleeping. Yeah. Nice, right?
I've been out of lifting for the slow recovery, but I think I'll be up to snuff by next week. I feel tightness still, but it gets a smidge better every day.
While I've been down for the count (and I mean everything - walking was even painful at first because my arm hanging from shoulder pulled on the trapezius and felt like 1000 pounds pulling down)....I have been considering switching up the lifting routine. I sadly have been getting less and less 'love feels' for the SL program, so I thought some kind of change might be in order. I don't want to buy the NROLFW unless I think it's a good idea - but I don't know what it entails. Do any of you have experience with both? What were your preferences? How about a hybrid of the two? Maybe making your own lifting plan? I hate squats, but I'm not so naive to discard them because I know, and have lived, the value of them. Maybe there's nothing quite as effective, maybe there is? I don't know...sort of rambling. Feel free to share your thoughts, like and dislikes, and overall "just suck it up and keep going with the program" feelings. :)

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    idk new rules, but i just wanted to drop in wholeheartedly support moving on if you feel like it's time to do it. and from the ways the last couple of months have sounded for you, it kind of sounds like you do ;)
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I did NROLFW. In fact it's how I got started lifting. It's a good, thorough program which changes every 4-6 weeks. There is a lot of balance work mixed in. I will say I found some of the moves annoying and a little fussy for my taste, but still felt like the program was good. I hear good things about Strong too. I like strong Curves a lot, Bret Contreras is excellent!

So, all that to say, give one a shot and see how you feel. Keeping your interest in lifting has value, and if switching it up will do that, definitely do it! :)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I switched to 5/3/1 when 3x5 became too time-consuming. I looked at NROLFW (took the book out of the library, because I'm cheap) but it seemed to be overcomplicated just for the sake of it rather than for any real purpose. But I like the most boring, straightforward program possible--a routine in every sense of the word. I use the Wendlerized app and just do what it tells me. Also, I don't love the actual act of lifting. I love what it's done for me, and I love being stronger, but my goal is always to get the greatest results in the least amount of time. If you do just 5/3/1 with no accessories, you can be in and out in under an hour. I did that a lot this summer, as I'd rather be biking when the weather is good.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    @scrittrice - You wrote exactly how I feel about it! I dont' want anything overcomplicated or time consuming because I don't love lifting, but I love what it does. That's mostly why I've stayed with SL for so long - it's easy in that sense. I don't know anything about 5/3/1, but maybe I'll look into that....if it passes your test, it would likely pass mine as well.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I used this site to get started: http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator There's lots to read about it online, most of it ridiculously bro-y. Highly recommend the Wendlerized app. But you could also drop from 5x5 to 3x5 if you haven't already.