Calorie Shockers!

Options
Discuss what foods surprised you the most when starting calorie counting! Was it good or bad? Something you thought was healthy and turned out to not be? Something you thought was bad but actually was low cal?

Post it here!

Replies

• KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    First thing I thought was shocking was juice. I had orange juice every morning cuz I just assumed it was healthy, but it is 110 cals a glass!

Rice was another shocker, thought it was a 'healthy' grain but it is high calorie!!! Quinoa as well, my gosh! And how they say to swap whole grains for refined white flour - like ok, I can see the health benefits, but calorie wise they are the same!

Grapes - being a fruit that I love, I thought I could just eat tons of them and not worry about it - but a cup is like 130 cals!!!

• 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    A cup of grapes is only 63 cals. 3 cups of lettuce is only 20 cals. Just something as simple as sticking to veggies and fruits can slash calories by the hundreds. Concord grapes 1 cup 62 cals. Grape tomatoes 100 grams 18 cals. Strawberries 1 cup 49 cals. Just for a start. So really interesting on the almost "free" foods you can eat. It is really shocking how many calories are in boxed foods which aren't really all that good for you cuz its not fresh. The lattes from Starbucks are like 300-350 cals a drink. There's a story on this lady from Africa and she was 500lbs. she would eat and eat this African dish that was mainly carbs and gain weight. So the doctor intervened and put her on a fruit only diet to lose weight and to clear her skin of a certain condition it was getting and it clear up and she lost weight. What a shocker right?