Starting today 5×5 program on a keto diet want friends!

Options
Hi I'm following the keto diet lost 15 lbs so far and 140lb more to go, just found the 5×5 program and am at the gym now about to start, so any Ketoers and any newbies or pros add me!

I have a messed up knee and am worried about doing these. So any advice would be good! Thanks!

Replies

• Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, glad you found us! Advice: read the stickies, and focus on form, form, form! No exercise should hurt. If you have pain, stop- something is wrong. There is a difference between real pain and "oh *kitten* my muscles are screaming!" You'll know the difference.

I had a back injury 2 years ago that had me in PT for 4 months. It went out again in April and I was couch bound with Vicodin for a week. Strengthening my back to prevent further injury is my #1 priority(looking good nekkid and weightloss are important too, hehe-but not #1.) You can lift safely with an injury, just make sure you listen to your body, and make proper form your goal! Talk with your doctor too! Squats might be too hard on a bad knee...can you do body weight squats?

Good luck!
  • jlynnschroyer
    jlynnschroyer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've done just the body weight squats and they hurt a lot but I just did it with the barbell and there was some discomfort but nothing that makes me want to stop and almost feels normal and I hear that squats are good for you to help strengthen the knees which I feel I would benefit from. I'm sorry about your back that really stinks!
  • kaiaasha
    kaiaasha Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started Keto about 3 weeks ago and just started the 5x5 program. I, too, have a bad knee. I have done squats many times before and the only time that my knee ever hurt was when I was doing a traditional squat in the smith machine. I was at Planet Fitness so that's all they had to do squats in. Thankfully, my husband invested in an at home squat rack so I can do the workouts with the intended equipment. My advice is to make sure you are utilizing your leg and glute muscles during the squat and make sure to keep your knees out (not coming together when you are coming up). Otherwise, if you make you knees do all the work and they start going in, you're going to have a ton of pain from improper form.