Anxiety and Fitbit

So I log in and my steps and calories burned for today update. 4,764 steps taken and 693 CALORIES BURNED! I'm thinking to myself there's no way that can be right. I'm a (newly licensed) hairstylist and I'm on my feet at the salon all day. I understand the step count because I'm running around, but I'm iffy about the calories burned. Today was very stressful and I had some bad anxiety during the day. I wonder if FitBit read my HR increase from anxiety as working out?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    I assume you don't actually mean that Fitbit said you only burned 693 calories. That's a very low number for most of a day unless you're a small child. I assume that what you mean is that 693 is your "Fitbit Calorie Adjustment" in MFP.

Fitbit shouldn't interpret a high heart rate as "exercise" unless you're also moving around. However, if you're taking steps, and your heart rate is high, then it might. Look at your Fitbit Dashboard and/or the Activities Page of your log (this is assuming you're using the website, but look for the appropriate places for similar information on the mobile app) and see if you can correlate your high heart rate with when you were taking a lot of steps.

If you just got your Fitbit, then it takes a few days (or more) to "learn" your resting heart rate and the like, so until it has had time to get to know your typical heart rate and activity pattern it could be off by quite a bit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    And look at the HR graph - how much higher was the HR in general, compared to at home or at store time, when perhaps not as stressed with higher HR?
  • zeroone614
    zeroone614 Posts: 13 Member
    I have the same issue! Something like 5000 steps and a 600 calorie adjustmenst? Up from 1700!! Something's not working here. I've had my fitbit for almost a year.

Interestingly though I also had bad anxiety yesterday and today.