Fitbit negative calories

Options
This morning I did my home workout with my HR monitor. It showed that I burned 158 calories. It was a lot of running in place and body weight exercises. My Fitbit did not detect these and took all 158 away! Should I disable my negative calories?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Misunderstanding about what the MFP calorie adjustment is - it's not exercise calories despite where it's put.

Please read the FAQ in the stickies for how it works together.

But to be clear, a HRM not the Fitbit said 158 calories for the exercise time?

And what Fitbit exactly - many models, many different methods?
  • KaeChelleA
    KaeChelleA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit adjustment is based on your total for the day... if you burn more or less than what your settings are based off of (sedentary or active). So even though your workout burned 158 calories, that doesn't mean Fitbit will give you those calories as an adjustment. If you are active the rest of the day on top of the workout you did, you may begin to see an adjustment later on in the day when you sync your Fitbit.

The negative calorie adjustment just means that if you are less active than what MFP thinks you will be, the Fitbit will subtract calories. It has nothing to do with a specific workout. If you sync early in the day, you may see a negative adjustment at first, but as the day goes on, that number will change.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear - it is MFP doing the subtracting - Fitbit merely provides 2 numbers to MFP - steps and calories burned so far.

Fitbit burned - MFP estimated no exercise - MFP logged exercise = adjustment.

Base eating goal + adjustment = eating goal