I just postponed my gastric sleeve surgery

Options
I just postponed my gastric sleeve surgery The day before my consent visit. I have been reading forums and message boards for weeks. All the horror stories were scaring me. I panicked and canceled my appointment. I'm trying to see if I can stick to a better lifestyle for even just a couple of weeks. I've never been successful at dieting. I lose a few pounds here and there but gain it all back plus more. I've rescheduled my surgery for mid November but might cancel altogether if I can keep up a healthy lifestyle between now and then. I'm just so afraid if I don't go ahead with the surgery I'll find myself in the exact same place a year from now wishing I had it done.

Replies

• heavensentz
    heavensentz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the sleeve surgery on Nov 22nd. I'm just nervous n scared but know I have to do it. I was going to do bypass but changed my mind after I completed all the requirements before submitting to my insurance n change to bypass. I just wanna know how u felt. Did u keep ur surely secret until it xame to weeks before it was to happen...how long did it take before u went back to work or resume most activities like working out..I freak out sometimes n just have to CA down cuz no matter wat I have to have the surgery. Aslo wat was ur begining weight before 'surgery n after so far..
  • bessie78
    bessie78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My Surgery date is 12.12.16!!!
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My only wish is that I'd had the sleeve done in 2009, when I first heard about it, instead of waiting until 2015, when I'd gained a lot more weight, and done a lot of damage to my knees. #nevergoingback !!!!
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Minskygirl wrote: »
    I just postponed my gastric sleeve surgery The day before my consent visit. I have been reading forums and message boards for weeks. All the horror stories were scaring me.

I think for every horror story out there, there are literally hundreds of success stories. I would discuss this with my surgeon - what are his/her success statistics? There's a reason VSG has become so popular world-wide, and a reason why insurance agencies are willing to pay for it: it WORKS.

Remember, unhappy people are the most likely to post. Happy people are too busy living to post much!! :)

Diet and exercise never worked for me - I've done them all, and lost hundreds of pounds. My DNA is loaded with markers for obesity and excess ghrelin. Surgery was the right answer for me - it gave me a tool I am thankful for every day. Just wish I'd done it sooner. Best of luck!!

• bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Minskygirl wrote: »
    I was sleeved Monday, Nov. 14. It's been a rough few days but I'm hanging in there and I know it's going to be worth it.

How do you feel about it now that you've had the surgery and are a couple of months out?
  • Minskygirl
    Minskygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I had the surgery. It has not been easy but I've lost about 50 lbs so far and I know I wouldn't have been able to do so on my own.
  • mrrloser
    mrrloser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on the 14th of November also. I am down 49 pounds. I would never have lost this much on my own. I am still 165 pounds aways from my goal so I know it will take some time but I am enjoying the small victories as I go.
  • NIKINOU
    NIKINOU Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have decided, after much deliberation, to have gastric sleeve surgery...probably early September 2017. I have had this in the back of my mind for a loooooong time. I have been dieting since 12-26-2016 and have lost 17 pounds. I am trying to train myself to drink 64 oz. of water a day, not drink with meals, concentrate on protein, limit carbs and sugar. It is all working, but I am looking forward to the "tool" which will help combat regaining what I lose. I would love to hear POSITIVE experiences.
  • Minskygirl
    Minskygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    17 lbs is great. I'm sure all the prep will be helpful.
  • chantalynn
    chantalynn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am getting sleeved May 18th, I am so excited I cannot wait to reclaim my life!!
  • healthy_foodie
    healthy_foodie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I started my journey to getting approved for gastric sleeve surgery back in April and I have to complete a 3 month supervised diet. I've lost 5 lbs since starting the diet and my family has been using that as proof that I shouldn't have the surgery and that I can put in the effort myself with just diet and exercise. I've been struggling against all the naysayers opinions. I know I want the surgery and that it is what's best for me because I obviously can't keep the weight off myself, but has anyone else struggled against public opinion?