new, fighting for recovery

Hi, I'm tash and I have EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) and I find myself constantly relapsing an dthen trying to recover again. What has helped you in times when recovery felt pointless?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I just got so miserable I was finally ready to change. Food was my god last November. I got to a place I didn't want to keep eating like that ALL the time. One thing, it helps me to go to the groups on mfp and read how others are coping with recovery. The 12 step overeaters anonymous groups have been a real help to me as well as the emotional eaters group.
    A food flexible food plan was key. I found what my calorie intake should be for my height, weight and age and from that number, the tdee (total daily energy expenditure) you can eat at that amount of calories to maintain weight, lose or gain, depending where you are starting from. It will just happen and meanwhile learn to eat according to approximately what is acually needed for everyday healthy body and mind functioning. The plan helps to avoid binging, undereating and overeating. It took me some months to make adjustments as to what foods to include, but as long as the calories are about at the tdee, I didn't have too much trouble finding different foods that made the whole thing work really well. I have to log everyday to stay on track. I will always have to, I know my eating problem is never going to go away, I just have found a good way of being able to put the disorder in remission.
  • solskin78
    solskin78 Posts: 8 Member
    I have Ednos. I'm trying to beat it, but it's so hard. I sometimes literally cannot eat, I have no desire for food, even though my tummy is hungry. I take pleasure sometimes in surviving the hungry feeling, I know that's not normal, and I wish I wasn't likd that.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Sorry I didn't see your post beforenow solskin78. I hope you will find your way back to eating enough to sustain your health and recover, its difficult, but possible. I stayed anorexic for five years and then made a good attempt at recovery. Although I did gain weight above the underweight bmi I still obsessed on food a lot for a few years, but I have been able to quit starving myself. I'm at a good bmi now, low normal and I am able to eat a normal amount without obsessing on food and my body weight. It was not easy and I am never sure of my recovery even though all seems well. At least I'm much more healthy than I was and eating enough every day. I hope you are doing a lot better than in October and that you read this and let me know how its going, the good, bad or ugly, no worries, here to listen.