10/03 Monday Day 3 SLBC

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
fvv2adff7n4a.jpg

Today's challenge:
make your plan to sit less and move more. Using the input form on this page: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/act-now.html specify your top priority for sitting less (your “One Thing”) and your activity goal. Will you be going for the bronze, silver, or gold level of activity? Or maybe the platinum? Fill out and submit the form.

Please Note: By selecting “MFP Sit Less Boot Camp Challenge” from the pull-down list of Organizational challenges on the Act Now page, your pledged reduction to sit less will be added to our group's total, and this count will be shared with Auna so that she can let everyone in the group know the total number of sitting hours eliminated by Sit Less Boot Camp challenge takers! No individual or identifying information will be shared, just the group's total reduction in sitting hours. And your email address (should you choose to provide it) will never be shared or provided to anyone else.

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Form completed ^^
  • cwpad
    cwpad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OK. I'm getting off my chair now to start my day. 15k steps daily.
  • LogR4Life
    LogR4Life Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My goal is to log on to this challenge every day to help keep me motivated to SIT LESS!!! I have achieved my "one thing" for the first two days of the month (standing every time my iWatch tells me its time and thus achieving the minimum of 12 stands per day and striving for once every waking hour!). It sounds like a small thing but when you sit too much it is really HUGE!!! Hope everyone has a great day STANDING UP!!!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Several of you jumped ahead and submitted your Sit Less plans through the Act Now form already...that's awesome! I've got your submissions. And thanks!

And to Boot Camp alum: you can either submit a new form indicating your new "One Thing" or I can use your form from last session.

Days 1-3 of Sit Less Boot Camp is the "ramp-up" period. Background information, ideas, and creating your Sit Less plan, all designed to give you a richer experience than just a sequence of daily challenges. Starting tomorrow, we will have two daily challenges for you to consider: a main challenge and an alternative challenge. And if neither is a great fit for you, you've always got your "One Thing" to work on!
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    completed the form
  • themedalist
    Options
    SnagTop wrote: »
    My goal is to log on to this challenge every day to help keep me motivated to SIT LESS!!! I have achieved my "one thing" for the first two days of the month (standing every time my iWatch tells me its time and thus achieving the minimum of 12 stands per day and striving for once every waking hour!). It sounds like a small thing but when you sit too much it is really HUGE!!! Hope everyone has a great day STANDING UP!!!

Not a small thing at all, @SnagTop, in fact, I believe that standing up and shifting positions regularly throughout the day (and walking a bit, if possible) is the MOST IMPORTANT thing we can do to reduce our risks of sitting disease. Certainly, the total amount of sitting is very important too, but not sitting for too long is absolutely essential. It doesn't seem like the impact of standing up and stretching a bit after sitting for 30 minutes or so would be that big a deal, but in reality, the impact of this small habit can be profound.

So I am THRILLED to see so many of you make your "One Thing" to get up on a regular basis every 30 or 60 minutes. Wonderful choice!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Really small movements can have a big impact on the risks of sitting disease. Are you a fidgeter? If so, Keep it up!

http://qz.com/509081/fidgeting-at-work-may-actually-be-great-for-your-health/

http://medicine.missouri.edu/news/20160804-fidgeting-prevents-arterial-dysfunction.php
  • rag09
    rag09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I completed the form. Yesterday, inspired by this challenge, I spent the afternoon working in my garden instead of sitting inside.
  • Mom_Ellis
    Mom_Ellis Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    completed :smiley:
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Love the daily challenges! I've been doing them, but have neglected to post here each day. Completed the form today. Thanks for doing this!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I think I completed my application already a while back. Let me know if I didn't. I am on a mission to move more and sit less! Thanks!
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Done :smiley:
  • rag09
    rag09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This afternoon as I waited for an appointment, I stood up in the waiting room and moved around. I had to really focus on not worrying what others might be thinking. Have others found that when we try to move more, standing for phone calls, reading e-mails standing up etc - that the people around us sometimes look a bit surprised?
  • M310
    M310 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am working on getting up every 30 minutes. I have medical issues which limit my exercise and activity options, but I am excited because this is something I can do. It has given me such hope the last few days to learn that it isn't only intense activity that can provide benefit. I love being able to focus on the positive of what is doable and appreciate the support of a group goal.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,322 Member
    Options
    Form completed.
  • danzrlove
    danzrlove Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Form completed.
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Form completed.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I will decide each morning, upon waking up, what I can do that day to be active. It will be a conscious focus.
  • themedalist
    edited October 2016
    Options
    rag09 wrote: »
    This afternoon as I waited for an appointment, I stood up in the waiting room and moved around. I had to really focus on not worrying what others might be thinking. Have others found that when we try to move more, standing for phone calls, reading e-mails standing up etc - that the people around us sometimes look a bit surprised?

Yes, I know what you mean, @rag09. Sitting is also a cultural thing and there's an expectation that we should sit. What I now say to people who might look surprised is: "I just feel SO MUCH better when I don't sit too much" Which is the truth! I regularly walk loops in the building next to mine every hour to get my steps in. Several people have commented that they see me walking and they are now trying to get up and move around more too. We never know who we might inspire when we sit less and move more. :)