Breastfeeding and weight loss

Options
NMWa
NMWa Posts: 12 Member
Hi there :)

My little girl is almost 4 months old and exclusively breastfed. I'm planning to continue breastfeeding her until she weans naturally or at some point in the second year.

I have lost most of my pregnancy weight without too much effort (about 3.5kg still to go from the 17.5 I gained) and I would love to lose those last few but without risking any effects on my milk supply. I read everywhere that you shouldn't be restricting calories too much but I can't really find out what exactly that means.

Can I still work at a calorie deficit in order to lose the weight? Is there a way to work out my calorie baseline while taking my breastfeeding calories into consideration?

Also looking for some friends on here so feel free to add. I share my diary and log just about every day.

Replies

• NMWa
    NMWa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Update: I just located this calculator, might be useful!

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm

Off to adjust my calorie goal upwards....
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thanks @birdsintrees I'm such an idiot that I started filling it in with the babies info and not mine !

I think I'm one of the unlucky ones though where sadly I don't lose weight easily just through breastfeeding. So I'm not allowing for extra calories but eating at a slight defecit and it seems to get me losing about 1 to 2 pounds a week. Hope it's going well for you!
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thanks @birdsintrees I'm such an idiot that I started filling it in with the babies info and not mine !

I think I'm one of the unlucky ones though where sadly I don't lose weight easily just through breastfeeding. So I'm not allowing for extra calories but eating at a slight defecit and it seems to get me losing about 1 to 2 pounds a week. Hope it's going well for you!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    am_change wrote: »

You're able to breastfeed your kids. That makes you lucky. (Not that it's unusual to be able to, but it really sucks when you can't. So, it's a thing to be thankful for.)
  • KerrieJane86
    KerrieJane86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is good to know! I haven't been keeping track because I wasn't sure how many calories I should be aiming for in a day