Hi there! Quick question...

Options
arose1122
arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
New to the group and I've been at SL for about 6 weeks. I've seen some great improvements. I do have a question however, please forgive me if it has already been answered.

What do you ladies do if your gym doesn't have fractional plates? The smallest my gym has is 2.5lbs. I've tried increasing the weight by 5 and doing 4X5 instead of 5X5 but I feel like that's still too much, especially with the OHP. I've asked at the desk, but the guy kinda seemed confused by the idea of a 1lb plate, but I'm pretty sure I've seen people say they DO exist.

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    they exist. my gym doesnt' have them either.

i do extra reps in the set for a while. so 5x6, then next workout 5x7, then 5x8 . . . and by then i might feel ready to try the big jump, or i might eke it out with 5x9 too.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I bought my own set from Rogue Fitness and keep them in my gym bag (wrote my name on the back in case someone thinks they belong to the gym). Mine are 1.25 lbs each and were $7.50 for the set (plus shipping). I have seen sets elsewhere that range from 1 lb down to 1/2 lb.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-olympic-plates
  • arose1122
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I don't know why I didn't think to do more reps like that. It makes much more sense than what I was trying.
    I did think about buying my own but I didn't want the hassle of bringing them with me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    yeah, i made some of my own out of chain from the hardware store, but yup. resent the extra weight on a bike.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    I would bring my 1 lb wrist and ankle weights and strap them around the bar. I use them at home. I actually bought the ankle weights instead of fractionals because they are cheaper!
  • arose1122
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I would bring my 1 lb wrist and ankle weights and strap them around the bar. I use them at home. I actually bought the ankle weights instead of fractionals because they are cheaper!

This was exactly my plan if I couldn't get the gym to get the plates. I see 1 pound wrist and ankle weights everywhere.