10/12 Wednesday Day 12 SLBC

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
kneh4qzblbzv.jpg

Today's Challenge:
The total amount of sitting we do throughout the day has a big impact on our health, but so does how long we've been sitting at any one time. If you've been sitting for an hour or more, that's too long! Make a point to stand up, move around, or walk a little throughout the day, every 20 to 30 minutes or so. Setting an alarm on your phone or downloading a reminder to move app can help also.

Today's challenge is to really focus on getting up out of the chair throughout the day. Don't sit too long! Besides....we hardly burn any calories when we sit. Standing burns more calories than sitting and moving about or walking slowly burns even more calories. Minimizing how much you sit will help you achieve your weigh loss goals.

And please tell us, what strategies did you use to remember to get up and move throughout the day? Share your tips and help others sit less!

Alternative Challenge: Take your time in the grocery store. Walk down each aisle (the steps add up!). Pause to read the labels and see what is in your food!

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I am going to put a timer on my phone to remind me to get up and walk when I am sitting down. And since today I need to go grocery shopping I will take my sweet time.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,852 Member
    Options
    This is my one thing, so I'll work on it extra hard.
  • betsym3
    betsym3 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I kept track of my time at work yesterday, and got up every hour and walked somewhere. I'm home today, but will try to keep up with this here too.
  • blitzbis
    blitzbis Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's doctor day today which means lots of extra people around. I should be moving more just because.....
  • LogR4Life
    LogR4Life Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Evenings are my problem -- especially the weeks (like this one) when hubby is working nights. I watch Netflix so no commercials!!! Will pledge tonight to, at the very least, get up between 44 minute episodes!
  • forestrose910
    forestrose910 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I set my outlook at work for a meeting and had it remind me every hour. today I am having it remind me every 30 minutes. I get up and move every half hour and take a 250 step or more walk break on the hour. I didn't do much after work so tonight I need to get up during commercials and walk to get those steps increased.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and nature helps me get up more often ... duty calls!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm googling fall outfits and then trying on clothes (I take pics so I never have 'nothing to wear' days) so I'll be getting up every 10 min or so for a few minutes each time :D

I have to write tonight but I'm going to do about 3 paragraphs and then get up for water or to stretch a bit.
  • Midnigh
    Midnigh Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Set some alarms on my Fitbit to remind me to get up and move about. :)
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My hips and legs start to hurt if I sit too long, so I've been getting up every 20-30 minutes because of that - no alarm needed. I break up all of my tasks into tiny bits, so I do something every time I get up. Maybe vac 1 room, empty the garbage can, put away laundry, etc. Today I went shopping (not grocery) and parked far away from store. I'm sure I walked around that store several times.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    This challenge was really easy for me today since I am getting ready to go on vacation and I wanted to get the house spotless and all the laundry done. Also I stood up packing luggage all day.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My hips and legs start to hurt if I sit too long, so I've been getting up every 20-30 minutes because of that - no alarm needed. I break up all of my tasks into tiny bits, so I do something every time I get up. Maybe vac 1 room, empty the garbage can, put away laundry, etc. Today I went shopping (not grocery) and parked far away from store. I'm sure I walked around that store several times.

Yes! I'm a big fan of multitasking haha.

We went on a 45 min bonus walk to enjoy the chilly fall weather so that was nice too :)