rOcktober daily workout thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Tried out a class at Pink Iron, a women's crossfit gym. It was interesting. Did things like overhead squat, front squat to press and even some burpees.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    todays workout
    squats 5x5@82lbs.
    ohp 5x5@42lbs. going to move up to 45 next time,i could hardly lift 30lbs when i started so feels good to be progressing.
    deadlift 1x5@110lbs.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Isca-dang! 100lb OHP!! Go girl!
    Thanks Canada! :)
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    todays workout
    squats 5x5@82lbs.
    ohp 5x5@42lbs. going to move up to 45 next time,i could hardly lift 30lbs when i started so feels good to be progressing.
    deadlift 1x5@110lbs.

i'm jealous of your fractional plates! i bought one set of 2.5's for the gym i go to (it's in an apartment building) but i wish i had bought more, it would really help with some of the lifts to just inch my way up.

quick question: i've been doing ohp with dumbbells because i can't get up to the bar yet, but that day will one day arrive. is it better to make the switch, i've heard people say it's better to stick to the dumbbells.

also today will be:
    squats low bar: 1x5@45, 1x5@55, 5x5@65
    ohp: 1x5@20 1x5@30 (hopefullly) 5x5@40 (more likely) 2x5@40 3x5@30
    deadlift: 1x5@75 1x5@95 1x5@115
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I decided to go slow because I hit a wall so quick when I first started.

Squats 5X6 95
    OHP 5X6 45
    Deadlift 2X6 105
    Prone Jackknife 4X15
    Cardio: C25K intervals 5-4-5-4-1
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    quick question: i've been doing ohp with dumbbells because i can't get up to the bar yet, but that day will one day arrive. is it better to make the switch, i've heard people say it's better to stick to the dumbbells.

i don't know . . . i've started doing one-arm dumbbell presses (Actually with bottoms-up kettlebells), just because of how much i like what they do for my shoulder girdle and stability. but to me it's an accessory/prehab/self-care kind of move that i basically only use to give my shoulders the best chance at an impressive 'real' press with the bar.

one-handed presses are harder to control so you fine-tune the deeper and smaller stabilizer muscles. otoh, using the barbell for ohp has taught me so much about taking a very serious grip on the barbell, and also that 'make a shelf' thing. i feel like i have much better control over my entire upper back and shoulder girdle because of the barbell press. i know that i personally don't do that as much with a one-sided press. but bear in mind that i personally am just faffing around with my one-sided press.

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Just started paying attention here. I am in my 3rd week of SL 5x5 so a complete, fresh out the bag, newbie to lifting.

This last workout has been the first one that started feeling like an effort all round, so I guess things are getting serious now.

Apologies for the kg weights! :)

Squat 37.5kg (82.5lb)
    Press 35kg (77lb)
    Row 40kg (88lb)

Row might be my new least favourite!

Inspiring seeing all these posts from strong women. Fabulous!
  • jowaring
    Options
    todays workout
    squats 5x5@82lbs.
    deadlift 1x5@110lbs.

i'm jealous of your fractional plates! i bought one set of 2.5's for the gym i go to (it's in an apartment building) but i wish i had bought more, it would really help with some of the lifts to just inch my way up.

also today will be:

hi i workout at home,my barbell is only 15lbs and i have a mixture of plates in kgs and lbs so i mix them and can move up in 2lbs. it took me months to get to 40lb on ohp,i have no upper body strength.ive heard people buy wrist weights,you can get them starting at half a pound each and theyre cheap.
    not sure about staying with dumbells or moving to the bar,im pretty new to lifting.ive heard dumbells are better because your body has a more natural move when lifting,but not sure if thats true.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SL workout A day 8 week 3

Squat: 45lb 3x5 + 50lb 2x5
    B.Press: 45lb 1x5 + 65lb 4x5
    Row; 60lb (30 DBs) 5x5
    +
    Skull Crusher: 25lb 3x8 I read that the EZ bar is better for elbows, so tried it today, it was a little weird for me using the curled bar instead of the straight bar but I will get used to it :-)
    Shrugs: 25lb DB's 3x10
    Today:

Felt pretty good today! Switching to 3x5 has been wonderful! Not dreading my lifting anymore!

I never thought about doing 3x5, something for me to consider on some of my lifts, I don't want to injure myself, yet again!!
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    todays workout
    squats 5x5@82lbs.
    deadlift 1x5@110lbs.

also today will be:

hi i workout at home,my barbell is only 15lbs and i have a mixture of plates in kgs and lbs so i mix them and can move up in 2lbs. it took me months to get to 40lb on ohp,i have no upper body strength.ive heard people buy wrist weights,you can get them starting at half a pound each and theyre cheap.
    not sure about staying with dumbells or moving to the bar,im pretty new to lifting.ive heard dumbells are better because your body has a more natural move when lifting,but not sure if thats true.

i ended up doing 3 of the 5 sets with 40lbs, so i know i'm going to get it next time!

maybe i'll alternate dumbbells with the bar once i hit 45. i realized that i'm always going to end up with the same problem with the dumbbells that i'm having now (in that i can only go up in 10 pound increments total rather than 5 pounds / or 5 pounds per arm ) whereas i can up the weights by 5 using the fractionals i have with the bar. there are some 1lb wrist weights there i can try to use those too. good tip!

@canadianlbs you always come through with the knowledge bombs. thanks!
  • canadianlbs
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lacklustre trainer day, but that was my fault. i forgot it was squat/bench, or maybe i just went into a brief denial, so i wasn't mentally ready for any of it. last day of 3's week.

bench 50/66/77.5 or something. mr t's notes are lowballing me but we're always wrangling over it and he had a new guy to take care of so i just let it go. did 6 reps for my amrap set to make up for it.

squats, *kitten* squats. i'll have to just be happy with what i did earlier in the week on my own i suppose. they weren't working for me today.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    and hey. i just re-read that. i did SIX REPS of almost-80 pounds on bench press. go me.
  • subakwa
    Options
    Will today be the day I can finally break 25kg 5x5 on OHP? I blooming hope so!!
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Squats 5X7 95
    Bench 5X7 55
    Row 5X7 70
    Crunch 4X40 12
    Cardio: C25K intervals 5-4-5-4-1

I was really feeling awesome with my C25K because it felt easy... Yeah I forgot to set the incline on the treadmill. :|
  • subakwa
    edited October 2016
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Will today be the day I can finally break 25kg 5x5 on OHP? I blooming hope so!!

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!

Success. Blimey, a bit of mind over matter on a couple of reps, but did it. Big thanks to whoever posted Rippentoe's OHP tutorial in the helpful links thread. A bit of mindfulness on his tips certainly helped a huge amount.

On the down side I deloaded to 30kg for squat to work on depth and added a ref to touch down on. Let's see if that helps. I am awful at squats.

Ending on a silly high note...I got to use the 20kg plates for the first time as dead lift reached 60kg. I feel like that is a milestone to celebrate :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym and tried again at the deadlift max but it was a no go. I guess for now my max on deadlift is 255 for 2 reps. If I do the meet in January, my goal is going to be to get that 2xbw deadlift.

front squat 2x10 @ 45, 3x8 @ 65
    good morning 3x10 @ 65
    warm up - 1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, with belt 1x3 @ 205 and 1x2 @ 235
    belt and chalk - 265 fail and 260 fail
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    big day, subakwa \o/ i know what you mean about the 45's. it's like 'now i'm legitimate'. big girl plates.

press is my love. i don't always do well at it, but there's something about it . . . it's pretty hard to just muscle a press, so it's very pure and austere. for some reason i like that about press, but i've never been able to find the same groove for my squats. or rarely for longer than a few weeks at a time.

it's too easy to do a bad squat :-[. you can't get away with that on the press.

• jowaring
    Options
    todays workout
    squat 5x5@84lbs
    bench 5x5@57lbs dropped down from 62 to work on form.
    rows 5x5@57lbs. i hate this lift,i look forward to all the others but not this one lol.
  • subakwa
    Options
    Horrible today :(

I stayed at 30kg on squat to practice form again to make sure I can get depth as I go back up, so ok with that. 5x5 done

Then failed totally with only 1 rep at 35kg on bench so went back to 5x5 at 32.5kg. Harrumph.

Finished it off with only 2 reps at 42.5kg on row so went down to 5x5 at 40kg again.

A bit of a failure really.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Horrible today :(

I stayed at 30kg on squat to practice form again to make sure I can get depth as I go back up, so ok with that. 5x5 done

Then failed totally with only 1 rep at 35kg on bench so went back to 5x5 at 32.5kg. Harrumph.

Finished it off with only 2 reps at 42.5kg on row so went down to 5x5 at 40kg again.

A bit of a failure really.

not horrible! you went, you tried, you had an off day. there are some days where i just know i'm gonna be strong and i'm going to be able to hit all my numbers and others where i just feel off and i've got to cut myself some slack and just be happy that i went.

you did great!