I found I am pregnant, started running recently

Options
gloqui20
gloqui20 Posts: 2 Member
Hi there,

I just found this weekend I am pregnant, probably 4 - 5 weeks by now. I usually workout 4 times per week, 30 min HIIT training or weights (I've been doing it for almost 10 months by now) plus 2 - 3 times running for 30 min. I started running recently - Iike a month ago - and I was reading I should avoid overheating or exercising to the point of overheating.

I usually don't overheat with HIIT or weights, but I do when running - I did the last 2 times. I am worried I already did some damage to the baby :( and I am not sure if I should continue running. I would like to, at least for the first trimester. I was thinking maybe going running with a bottle of water and keep drinking so I stay hydrated and don't overheat. What do you think? Would you continue running or should I be on the safe side and stop and just do HIIT or weights? Any advice would be welcome.

Replies

• heffsloop
    heffsloop Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Running is great exercise, even while pregnant. I ran befor pregnancy, and during my first trimester, but at 23 weeks, I am getting a little too uncomfortable. So, if it's comfortable to you, run, but the most critical thing is to keep your heart rate lower. IE if you do a 10 minute mile, slow it down to a 12 minute mile. Check out this article: http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2015/03/training-tips/first-trimester-running-lessons-from-a-future-mother_36572
  • tegtmeyerd
    tegtmeyerd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Agree, just go slow and keep the mileage down (and of course, ask your doctor). If anything I'd avoid HIIT and stick to the slow and steady running. I was told to keep my HR down and avoid anything jarring or intense, but I don't have the energy for much so I'm down to a mile or two with walking. Hoping I get my energy back soon as I'm only at 8 weeks. Good luck!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My doctor said anything I was doing before was okay pregnant, as long as I modified as I got bigger.
    She feels like the 140 beats per minute advice is dated, and recommended the talk test instead. You should be able to carry on a conversation.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 2 5k's while pregnant this time around. The first trimester is almost a "freebie" as I like to think. Unfortunately I suffer from HG so I had to give up everything for a while, and have just limited myself to walking when I feel up to it. Your baby should be fine at this point, but definitely talk to your doctor. They may suggest you watch your heart rate.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    yeah, I stopped jogging mid 2nd trimester because it was just too uncomfortable. I'm 29 weeks and still walk 40 minutes on the treadmill on my lunch break 3-4 days a week. I might have to consider a support band soon though, it's getting uncomfortable.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 weeks and went for a run/jog at 26 weeks. You can do it. Just listen to your body.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I haven't really had anywhere or anyone to brag to. And it's been several weeks since this happened and I'm having a hard time even walking right now so I feel like a total blob. So my big pregnancy running accomplishment was running my first half marathon at 22 weeks, finished ten minutes faster than anticipated and made it in the top half of finishers. Keep running as long as it's comfortable! It makes you feel like a badass to run pregnant too.