Ultramarathon Fuel for the Back of the Pack?

Options
ArchyRunner
ArchyRunner Posts: 58 Member
Tomorrow I'm volunteering for an ultra marathon and my assignment is to leap frog the back of the pack runners to make sure everyone is doing OK, doesn't get lost, etc. I'd like to have a variety of snacks in my car just in case (and to be helpful), any recommendations for late in the race fuel?

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Potato chips, trail mix, peanut butter pretzels, and gummy bears were all appreciated in my races. Boiled potatoes with salt were quite nice with trying to stave off cramps in my race at the aid stations, but those probably aren't as easy to carry if need to carry them on you and leap frog people.
  • ArchyRunner
    ArchyRunner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Potato chips, trail mix, peanut butter pretzels, and gummy bears were all appreciated in my races. Boiled potatoes with salt were quite nice with trying to stave off cramps in my race at the aid stations, but those probably aren't as easy to carry if need to carry them on you and leap frog people.

I didn't even think of gummy bears! My daughter will be all for that, ha ha. I have a bag of mini candy bars, would those be too heavy in the gut?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I would think candy bars would tend to get melty if your are carrying them. Something like granola bars or Clif bars would be easier. Also, some sort of electrolyte drink mix or salt tabs would be a good to have, especially if it's going to be warm.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A thermos of vegetarian noodle soup is always good for late in an ultra. If your stomach is gone, that can save you!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions for you but thanks for volunteering! Volunteers are the backbone of any race.