10/25 Tuesday Day 25 SLBC

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
c44hpoxv9u1o.jpg

Today's Challenge: Today's challenge is to review your last 3 weeks. What's working and what's not? Are you sitting less and is it become easier and more natural? If not, why not? What needs to change? If it's just drudgery for you, maybe it's time to shift gears and try another way to be less sedentary? Is your “One Thing” working out for you or do you need to focus on something else?

Alternative Challenge:
Try learning an instrument or pick up one you haven’t played in a while. Most instruments you can play while dancing, walking, or standing! You can practice as much as you want throughout the day.

Replies

• Destinychngr
    Destinychngr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I sit WAY, WAY less than I used to since starting to track my food intake, working out with my trainer and walking. My free time is spent on doing active things, mind and/or body: I started playing piano again after 35 years, reading, sitting and just listening to the rain or birds chirping and cooking healthy weekly meals - I will be learning the guitar down the road, also. There's way more important things to do other than sit in front of the tube like I used to do EVERY DAY after work and all weekend long, which is where a good portion of my weight came from. My mind and body are starting a transformation that I won't give up now, regardless of what pops up in life.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    This week I noticed that when I read and watch tv it is impossible for me to move. So I am setting a timer for 10 minutes. That way I do not feel as guilty when I do need to sit. Move every 10 minutes and still get to enjoy my hobbies.
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    The walking/tidying while the kettle boils is working - I am also getting off the subway one stop earlier every morning so adding a 20 min walk. I love how bits and pieces of movement through the day add up. I had over 15K steps yesterday.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I am thoroughly enjoying reading your updates! Please keep them coming! :)
  • betsym3
    betsym3 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I seem to be getting up and moving about every hour at work, but I want to get back to the gym also, and haven't done it yet. Maybe, this weekend will be a good starting point.
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've definitely made progress - I'm more intentional about getting up, walking more, taking longer routes than necessary, etc. - but the past week or so I've fallen off a bit as I've been traveling quite a bit. I'm comitted to picking the pace back up a bit.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed the challenge, with all the new ideas. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago, I was going along nicely, walking 7 to 9 miles a day, yoga twice a week, weight lifting (upper body only) three times a week...and then I was reminded of my age when a 20-year-old ankle injury started bothering me, to the point it hurt the entire leg and I couldn't drive. The doctor had me minimize movement (one day I got in less than 1000 steps!!) and I found that if I moved a little each half an hour, I felt better than sitting around...which makes sense, it works the same with the horses at my stables...we don't put them on stall rest unless absolutely necessary. So, I'm getting better, and slowly working up to 5/6 miles a day. This week I am back to yoga and weight lifting. I am happy, because I enjoy being active (WHO KNEW???) And my one thing, picking up sticks in the yard, and doing fall maintenance, has been going quite well. I can do that for hours at a time, I've found, since the grass is cushiony. And my yard is getting better every day. In summary: all is well, I am happy as a bumble bee, and my yard is looking better!! Thanks for running the boot camp!! :smiley:
  • avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my fitbit, I'm definitely siting less. It prompts me to get at least 250 steps per hour. That's great since my job is 50/50 deskwork vs crawling around on the floor fixing computer-related problems.
  • M310
    M310 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This question was good for me today. I have been a little discouraged because I have not met all of my goals, but this got me thinking. As a friend often reminds me, "progress not perfection", and although there is a lot more I can do and a long way to go for this to be fully natural and integrated, I am sitting much less than when we started. I haven't mastered my One Thing, but it has become part of my day. I have learned a lot too and even the awareness of sitting is significant. I need to see this as an ongoing process and keep learning. Progress is good!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,957 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that getting up every 30 minutes is practical. However, trying to do so is an effective way to reduce sitting when I have the opportunity.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I think I am sitting less now than I was 3 weeks ago, but I'm not doing any one thing from all the suggestions that we've had as daily challenges. It's kind of like a cumulative reaction to get up more often and move about more. I noticed when I've had to travel somewhere that I'm parking farther away and walking that little bit more; am being more activity oriented throughout the day; doing something active first thing in the morning instead of plopping myself in front of the computer right off the bat; progressing on my Fall Cleaning project. The end result is now when I sit down to watch some movies or television on the weekend I'm not looking around and feeling a sense of guilt because I've been much more active and productive during the other days of the week.