Fitbit calories vs reality

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I've think I've only heard of ones have HR reading issues not showing as high as reality.
    Like good accuracy up to a certain point then it has trouble reading the higher values, or it frequently drops readings at higher levels but sometimes sees them.

So it appears you can have issue of it reading higher than reality. Hmmmmm.

So got a lowish restingHR too, perhaps you are getting that almost double-pump action when HR goes up slightly for just slight activity increase, but not as high as it thinks of course.
    When you manually take HR, can you feel that effect sometimes?
    I can feel it at night trying to sleep on left side, if I had a hard workout that day I must be recovering from. Hard main beat, quick weaker secondary.
    Garmin HRM correctly picks up the fact since it's looking at reversal of electrical fields, optical can probably be fooled easier, as could human if not used to effect.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've got any funky heartbeats going on. I suppose I could, but I do know even when I'm doing a video or walk/jog intervals 145ish is my high reading via fitbit itself. No way on earth am I working so hard to hit that walking inside on level ground. Heck, I'm not even sweaty!

Still waiting on a reply to the 2nd email, but did another reset on the tracker first thing this morning. Lost 10 steps somehow lol. But, either they've tweaked something in my account or the reset corrected things this time maybe. I had a fairly low key day at work (only 13k steps lol) but it only tagged 13 minutes in fat burning zone. Vast improvement over the near 3 hours of some days last week. And my mfp adjustment is a mere 600 calories so far vs 1100. I can live with that as long as it holds. Still will probably only eat back half of those and give it 4-6 weeks and assess again.

Thank you all for your help and hand holding with this!
  • heybales
    Options
    That sounds like such a better improvement.

I get a slight adjustment of 100-150 calories almost reaching 4000 steps on my truly sedentary day - and they aren't serious steps either.

I can easily see you getting that much adjustment for 13K steps, that's a lot.
  • paladinmfp
    paladinmfp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. Yesterday was a very sedentary day due to the flu. Less that 2000 steps. I'm 62 and 5'10" and 260 lbs. According to the last month of Fit bit data, my average calories burned is 2966. My average resting HR is 75. But, I only hit that when I'm asleep. During the day, sitting at a desk or watching TV, my HR is in the fat burning zone of 80 to 85.

My normal MFP adjustment is 500 to 600 calories. Yesterday, it was over 1100, about double.

I don't want to mess with height, weight, stride length or anything like that. Short of disconnecting from Fit bit in MFP, is there another solution?
  • heybales
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Disable HR during the day.
    Unless you actually workout.

That way there is no accidental aspect of it using HR-based calorie burn - if that's what it is doing.

You can confirm that - especially easy on sick day.

Go to your daily calorie burn graph per 15 min blocks.

Look at the burn rate per block during the sleeping night with no steps and low HR.
    Now look during the day when no steps but HR is reading higher.

If calorie burn rate is indeed higher when the HR goes up into exercise zone - then disable it during the day.
    Now your calorie burn will be step based for sure.
    No steps - then sleeping rate (which is actually underestimated when actually awake), is used for calorie burn.

ic1n0m7ocibb.png

This is the 5 min block graph, little too fine, but notice my sleeping hrs match by sitting at work time for calorie burn.