Switching from Fitbit HR to Apple Watch

Options
tuxmomoftoo
tuxmomoftoo Posts: 52 Member
I'm terrified. I've lost 35 lbs with my Fitbit. It is my best friend. Haha! I am so accustomed to it and the info it tracks. Does the Apple Watch track the same info?

Any advice or warnings?

Replies

• tuxmomoftoo
    tuxmomoftoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow! Nothing?!?
    Y'all are so quiet compared to the Fitbit boards!
  • WhistlerSue
    WhistlerSue Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am about to open my Apple Watch box! Can't share any experience yet. Looking for info like you!!
  • LisaS1073
    LisaS1073 Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just made the switch! Moved from Fitbit HR to Apple Watch a week ago. I really like how it tracks my level of activity actually, but I miss the community of challenges. Instead of Steps being the main goal, Apple Watch tracks three things: 1, calories burned by active movement; 2, Exercise minutes; and 3, Hours that you had a one-minute standing time and moved during that minute. For someone who does lots of classes (like Body Pump strength training, Indoor Cycling, etc.) the Apple Watch is a better choice for me because it takes those into account for my daily "goals", instead of me feeling like I was just chasing steps. I miss sleeping in it to see the quality of my sleep, and like I said the challenges, but overall I think I like the functionality of the Apple Watch more. :smile: Just my two cents, others may be the opposite because of how great the Fitbit community is!
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've had my apple watch for about 2 weeks now. I've used polar products for the last 5 yrs. I do miss the sleep tracking from the polar. i never had fitbit so I don't know much about the community..polar's was so so. I ws able to find thru another member a app called Activity Club which is pretty cool..it shows on ur phone and apple watch and it does have rewards when u hit awards which is also cool and you can challenge ur friends that u find via the app.
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have had a Apple Watch since they first came out. Would not change it for the world, love my watch. I have connected with others through the sharing part of the activity counter. I am just starting with the Activity Club app, thanks to this forum. I think I will enjoy the community challenges
  • imojevwe
    imojevwe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did a switch from Fitbit to Apple Watch recently but none of my contacts have an Apple Watch so I've done the activity club thing instead.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Just started with a Watch a week or so ago, and never used a FitBit device (just the app). I noticed some of you are missing the sleep tracking, but there are apps you can add to your Watch to do it. I just installed one called Sleep++ :)

Anything else I should try? I'm going to take a look at the Activity Club, since I see it mentioned.
  • jakes2011
    jakes2011 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    PriceK01 wrote: »
    Just started with a Watch a week or so ago, and never used a FitBit device (just the app). I noticed some of you are missing the sleep tracking, but there are apps you can add to your Watch to do it. I just installed one called Sleep++ :)

I don't miss the sleep tracking - I found it very inaccurate on my fitbit (I tried the different sensitivity levels too). The problem with the AW is that you have to charge it every night, so you can't use it to track sleep even if you find an app (well, I guess you could, but then you couldn't wear it all day). I tried apps on my phone where you leave it on your bed, but they didn't work. I came to the conclusion that I know when I've slept well or not ... and I don't need a device to tell me that!

• tiggerlove
    Options
    so I was told about a sleep app called sleep watch-auto sleep monitor using your watch..it is 4.99 but to me it's worth it IMO. U don't have to sync like u do with some and it does work just like it says.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I've not had a problem with battery life and sleep tracking. I wear my watch all day, stick it on the charger in airplane mode when getting ready for bed, put it back on to track sleep, wake up and put it on the charger when taking a shower, put it back on and turn off airplane mode. I've never had a low power warning.
  • kickinmom
    kickinmom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    New here. Would love to find out how you've connected your Apple Watch to MFP. I'm already missing the Fitbit challenges. But looking forward to wearing while mountain biking and not having to worry about getting it wet.
  • tiggerlove
    Options
    @kickinmon go to apps and devices on MFP scroll down and u will see Apple HealthKit just follow those instructions and also in steps make sure track steps from ur Apple Watch is checked. There is also an app call d activity club that's reall cool.
  • noosha90
    noosha90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to apple watch. I switched from Fitbit HR. I really missed my Fitbit. I am very active person and I track my calories constantly. Fitbit would add the calories burned for 10000 steps I took, and it would show about 300 Cal burned, however, Apple watch only adds 50 Cals for 10000 steps I take!!!! I am really confused!!! and now I am not sure how to set up my goal in MFP again!!!
    Does anybody know why Apple Watch steps calories are low count compare to Fitbit?
  • Slumbreon
    Slumbreon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Noosha- sounds like you have a problem with your watch. Have you asked Apple?
  • Melij
    Melij Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this group. Santa is bringing me an apple watch and I have no idea what I'll get out of it into MFP. I'm getting antsy now about letting my Fitbit HR go but the watch does so much more. I just gotta learn. A lot of friends have Fitbits so I'll be giving up that social part with the challenges. I'll look for the activity app some of you mentioned. Looking forward to learning and sharing with all you guys. I'd love to have some apple watch friends to help me along the way. Its easier for me to read the feed than to follow in these forums..if there's a trick to this please share :)
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I transitioned from the FitBit Surge to the Apple Watch Series 2....I love my new Apple Watch and wouldn't go back to the FitBit. The Apple Watch is more rugged, believe it or not, and it has more functions other than fitness tracking. I also like how it helps links up with the Apple Health App. There are lots of apps that can be used with the Apple Watch. In addition to the activity.com app, i also use UA Record.
  • Melij
    Melij Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @bionicdiver I use UA Record to track my exercise. UA Record feeds data to my Apple Watch which in turn feeds My Fitness Pal. The data is going in correctly into MFP exercise diary, and food diary, but it doubles the time and calorie burn on my feed. I've double checked to make sure UA Record isn't also feeding MFP. Any data should be coming from the watch only. Makes no sense to be correct in two places and wrong on the other one. Any ideas???
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    @Melij I have been having similar issues. Here's how I am set up. My Health App feeds MFP my steps for the day. That has been working great with one exception. I am sometimes getting two entries in my Diary for Steps Calorie Adjustment. I don't worry about that too much, though. I have UA record feeding MFP for my workouts and MFP feeding UA Record for my calories burned. However, for the last couple of weeks, the data transfer is hit and miss. I find that I have to disconnect and then reconnect UA Record from MFP to get things to work. There must be a bug in the system. I have sent feedback to UA Record, but the issue hasn't been resolved. You'd think that the partner apps would work without any problems. Unfortunately, that's not the case.
  • missysmed
    missysmed Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch and have just got back into MFP. I would love any advice on how to utilize my watch more. I had the fitbit and loved the challenges on her and would love to join a challenge with the watch.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of retiring my defective fitbit and have thought of getting an apple watch but never even dreamed it would connect to MFP or be a part of this world..lol.

So now I am wondering how much if differs from fitbit. I am a walker so steps and calories burned is what I am after. I would be sad to see the challenges go but I see there are other options so I would get over it.
    Is there a particular model I should be looking at?
    A quick search of the watch for fitness looks a little scary - after many years of seeing the fitbit app I am sure anything would seem weird.