Wearing the race day t-shirt at the race... Cool or uncool?

Options
13»

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Some crazy *kitten* judgement going on...
    You earn participation shirts by paying the fee. You earn finishers shirts by finishing.

@BasicGreatGuy summed it up best.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I don't, mainly because it's a new shirt, and even if it's from a proven brand, I only wear stuff I've worn on training runs already.

^^This. I always wear a shirt I trust on race day.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Ran my 6th Race with Grace 10K today, and this year's race shirt is now hanging in my closet. I actually wore the 2013 shirt under last year's 25th anniversary jacket for this years race. Saw there was one race shirt left for sale from last year, when I didn't get a shirt because I registered early enough to get the jacket. Plopped down my $5, bought the 2015 shirt, and it became a dry shirt to change into after running 10K in the rain. Absent purchasing last year's shirt, I would have had no problem changing into this year's shirt to be dry while I waited for the awards ceremony. Many other runners did just that.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I did for my 1st ultra as I used it to motivate myself to the finish but generally no I don't. I tend to go with what i train in
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    While the "nothing new on race day" is a good guideline, a 5K is not long enough to worry about holding to this rule for a shirt.

My last 5K I wore a shirt I had never worn before, a 100% cotton shirt no less!!!, and in spite of that stacked against me, I still PR'd.

• KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    All I'll say on the subject, is that if you DO wear it, you're much more likely to get your picture used as marketing for the race!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I treat the shirt like a medal; it's my prize for completing the race. I'll usually put on the event shirt AFTER the race b/c I am either freezing or need something dry. Personally, I don't wear anything for an event if I haven't completed it...I feel it's an item to show my accomplishment...even if I am the only one who cares about that accomplishment. I used to judge others a long time ago for wearing the shirt or event clothing during the race, but it's so common now that I don't even care anymore. All that matters is you have fun or achieve your goal. Keep on racing!!!!