Soup

dklibert
dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
I made two tried and true soup recipes in the pressure cooker this week. What I discovered is that most recipes cooked in the pressure cooker have that next day or all day flavor. It really does blend flavors really fast.

The first was a Tex Mex or Taco Soup. It turned out really good. I just browned the ground meat (beef this time) added the other ingredients, stirred and cooked high pressure for 10 minutes. I let rest about 5 minutes then did a quick release. Here is the full recipe: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/tex-mex-soup.html

The second was a Sacramento Taco Soup. I used 1 -1/2 cups leftover chicken from a baked chicken and bone broth I made from the chicken bones in the pressure cooker. I just added all the soup ingredients, stirred and cooked high pressure for 10 minutes. I let rest about 5 minutes then did a quick release. Then added all the topping. It was very good. The full recipe here: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/sacramento-taco-soup.html

Replies

• dklibert
    What soups do you make in your pressure cooker?
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    I have a hard time getting my family to eat soup, which drives me crazy as I love it and it's such an easy thing to throw together. I have a butternut squash on hand so I could use that. My favorite soup is potato-leek.
  • SouthernPeach1
    SouthernPeach1 Posts: 21 Member
    I made this Navy Bean, Bacon and Spinach soup in my One Pot for dinner tonight. It was absolutely delicious! http://www.skinnytaste.com/navy-bean-bacon-and-spinach-soup-pressure-cooker-slow-cooker-or-stove-top/
  • dklibert
    That sounds delicious!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    This is my all time favorite

Ingredients:
    2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
    1 ½ cups chopped red onion
    2 chopped red bell peppers
    chicken bone broth (amount depends on how soupy you like it)
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro
    1 Tbsp cumin
    2 Tbsp (or more) chopped chipotle chile in adobo
    6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    2 (28oz) fire roasted tomatoes
    1 (4 oz) chopped green chilies, undrained
    Salt and pepper
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro

Instructions
    Add everything except the cilantro in the IP and set for 21 minutes. After 5 minutes, release the pressure. Remove the chicken, shred and put back in the pot. I add lots and lots of vegetables at this time (zucchini, cauliflower, green beans, spinach...) Set to sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables are cooked to your liking. If you’re using frozen, just put all the vegetables in and the heat of the soup will defrost them. Add chopped cilantro

• dklibert
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    This is my all time favorite

Ingredients:
    2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
    1 ½ cups chopped red onion
    2 chopped red bell peppers
    chicken bone broth (amount depends on how soupy you like it)
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro
    1 Tbsp cumin
    2 Tbsp (or more) chopped chipotle chile in adobo
    6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    2 (28oz) fire roasted tomatoes
    1 (4 oz) chopped green chilies, undrained
    Salt and pepper
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro

Instructions
    Add everything except the cilantro in the IP and set for 21 minutes. After 5 minutes, release the pressure. Remove the chicken, shred and put back in the pot. I add lots and lots of vegetables at this time (zucchini, cauliflower, green beans, spinach...) Set to sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables are cooked to your liking. If you’re using frozen, just put all the vegetables in and the heat of the soup will defrost them. Add chopped cilantro

Ooo! I need to try this. Thanks!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    I just joined this group and look forward to sharing some good recipes! I just made soup last night and it was delicious. I didn't really follow a recipe though...

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients are: butternut squash, onion, carrots (only because I had two that were almost going to be thrown away), apple, ginger, salt, pepper, broth, milk

I cut the squash in quarters so it would fit in the pot, scooped out the seeds, cooked squash for 15 minutes on a trivet, 1.5 cups water in pot. While that was cooking I chopped up onions (1, it was large), carrots (2), and apples (2). When the squash was done I took out the chunks and sauteed the other vegetables. Then I added a carton (32 ounces) of broth, peeled the squash and dumped it in, stirred to make sure the broth was on the bottom of the pot, cooked for 5 minutes.

I let it release naturally because I was doing something else, but I forget how much time that took exactly. Then I used my immersion blender to get it smooth, added ginger (powdered), salt, and pepper until it had that little "zing" from the ginger. It was pretty thick but I left it that way and we each added some milk to our own bowl to thin it out a bit. We just used regular 1% but a friend made this and used coconut milk which I think sounds yummy.

This was SO good. It will be leftovers this evening, and then I'll freeze enough for another dinner for me and my husband. The rest will be lunch for me for a couple of days.
  • dklibert
    Welcome @Monklady123 ! I have two butternut squash I need to cook. I am going tp have to try this. I love that you cooked it in large pieces first. I always have a hard time chopping butternut squash. Thank you so much for the recipe!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    dklibert wrote: »
    Welcome @Monklady123 ! I have two butternut squash I need to cook. I am going tp have to try this. I love that you cooked it in large pieces first. I always have a hard time chopping butternut squash. Thank you so much for the recipe!

Yes, I learned about doing it that way in a Facebook group I belong to. Just be aware that butternut squash skin is thinner than we might expect. I thought it would sort of fall off, like sweet potato skin for example. But it didn't, I had to pull it off with a knife. Fortunately I have a silicon glove so I could hold the squash chunk in that and not burn my fingers. Overall though it's still MUCH easier than peeling and cutting while raw!

• dklibert
    Made Minestrone yesterday. Making Mexican Cabbage Soup today. What soup have you made in your Pressure Cooker lately?

Mexican Cabbage Soup

Ingredients

1/2 head of cabbage
    2 celery sticks
    2 medium onions
    2 carrots
    2 potatoes
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    2 quarts chicken broth
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Cilantro
    Fresh squeezed key lime juice

In a 4 quart Dutch oven heat the broth. While the broth is heating peel, chop and add the vegetables. Add remaining ingredients and heat to boiling. Turn down and simmer until vegetables are to desired tenderness. Serve with chopped cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice.

IP Soup 20 minutes
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    I made this chicken noodle soup the other day, and made this beef & barley soup last week. Both were super yummy. I love making soups in my Instant Pot (along with about a hundred other things, LOL).
  • dklibert
    Oooo! Those look great! Thanks for sharing them.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    You're welcome! Have you tried this jalapeno pepper chicken chili? It's AMAZING.
  • dklibert
    You're welcome! Have you tried this jalapeno pepper chicken chili? It's AMAZING.

No I haven't going right now to check it out. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • dklibert
    Glad you found us here. :)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    That jalapeno popper chicken chili looks PHENOMENAL!!!
  • dklibert
    Yesterday I made a turkey meatball soup from stuff I just had on hand, no recipe really. Added 1 egg, 1/4 cup panko, 2 Tbsp. Parmesan, little grated onion(1 Tbsp.) and garlic (1 clove) to 1 lb. ground turkey. Formed into 1" meatballs about 16. Browned in the pot in a little olive oil on saute and removed. Added the rest of the onion chopped, 2 ribs celery sliced, 2 carrots, chopped, 8 oz mushrooms sliced, saute until begins to soften. Deglaze the pot scrapping the bottom clean with chicken broth. Added 6 cups low sodium chicken broth total then put meatballs back in. Cooked on soup for 13 minutes, NPR 5, then released the rest of the pressure. The meatballs were so good. Next time I will add some pasta or white beans.