Anyone with Hashimotos?

Options
nickipick
nickipick Posts: 34 Member
Just wondering about your diets? What foods are working for you and which do you avoid?
Been gluten free for about 3 years now, and it's helped a lot with most of my symptoms, but I think there are more changes I need to make.
I would love to hear about what works for you?

Replies

• lupie777
    lupie777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have lupus, hashimotos , celiac, secondary addisons. I have been on paleo for 13 months now. It has made a huge difference in my life. I have found so many foods that my body reacts badly to that I would never have known. It's a long process to full healing but I feel like I'm in the right place. I still am in the process of weeding out foods but I will never ever go back to the way I ate before.
  • nickipick
    Options
    Wow .... you are incredibly strong! I admire your determination so much, and your focus.

I have tried paleo in the past, but found that I needed A LOT of protein to keep me from feeling like I was starving. But all that protein was really hard on my digestive system.

I'd like to add you, and get some inspiration from your diet if you don't mind?

• lupie777
    Options
    @nickipick Of course you can add me! I would love to share any and all I can. Thank you for the compliment. It's not easy but I try to focus on the good, because if you don't laugh you cry lol
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined the group. I have Hashimoto's. I definitely feel better when I am gluten free, I just need to stick to it. My trainer basically has me on a low glycemic diet eating high protein 5 times a day, I am finding this difficult without a real "plan". I have the AIP book and I am thinking about starting this.
  • lupie777
    Options
    AIP would be extremely helpful to you!
  • nickipick
    Options
    I have the AIP Book too, but have never committed to it.
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. Gluten free helped with pain and brain fog and no more heartburn! But thyroid numbers not under control. I want to try paleo or AIP but I also have stomach problems specifically with beef, so I have to limit how much I eat. I just don't see how I would be able to eat so much meat!
  • SweetVK04
    SweetVK04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for this group! I was recently told I have an Hashimoto/Autoimmune disease as well. Started the Autoimmune Paleo diet yesterday and I'm starving lol. My doctor hasn't prescribed any meds as of yet and we're hoping to manage with food. Crossing my fingers!
  • JoannaZahorska
    JoannaZahorska Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto (and coeliac disease - they seem to be comorbid). I'm taking levothyroxine to substitute for the hormones my out-of-order thyroid gland should produce. From what I've heard, most physicians recommend going iodine-free, as iodine (salt) messes with the thyroid gland and provokes inflammatory response. Soy is said to be bad for the thyroid as well. I've been on a gluten-free diet for over two years now and feel much better now :)
  • gracieJ1957
    gracieJ1957 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I am also a Hashie sufferer and recently tried the Keto diet. Some reports say this diet is not good for T3 and T4 and it will wreck your metabolism. Anyone have an other info on this? Cannot seem to find an eating plan that addresses the thyroid issue and helps lose these lbs. Maybe look into paleo...
  • shcgiebs
    shcgiebs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Not Hashimoto, but and IgA deficiency and Sjogrens. Diabetes type 2 doesn't help. Just learning about diet helping with this so any info is great.