Is there anyone on here not doing full out low carb?

Options
RebeccaMaunder
RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
So as the title suggests I'm wondering if anyone on here is not doing full out low carb. I'm trying to find a balance right now as I'm also noticing in dealing with sickness and foods that seem to not be agreeing with me...like beef or cheese.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Becca

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm personally struggling to find my path right now. I went keto last year, and it really messed up my thyroid, reasons still unconfirmed. I stay very low carb for breakfast, and still pretty low carb for lunch, but trying to find some level balance at dinners and on weekends. I think my overall goal will be to stay under 100 grams of carbs, which is still considered low carb. In fact, most folks consider anything under 150 grams of carbs, particularly when actively restricting at least one type of carbs (sugars, grains, gluten, etc.) to be low carb.

So are you saying that you want to be over 150 grams of carbs? Because I would still consider that number to be "full out low carb." The average diet is 300-400 grams of carbs daily. People often confuse keto with the only low-carb plan, etc.

And when you say foods not agreeing with you, what do you mean? Nausea? Bloating? Farting/Burping? Indigestion? Constipation/diarrhea?

To me, those are not signs of low-carbing (or certain food choices) not being for you - those are signs of you having low stomach acid - and possible low digestive enzymes, too. Not treating that properly can lead to far greater issues... I speak from 20 years of experience before finally figuring things out...

Let me know what you mean about your numbers and "not agreeing with" you...and I can give a better opinion. @RebeccaMaunder
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My best success was approximately 40-60 total g carbs/day (symptoms & maximum weight-loss)...BUT I still had results eating 100-150 total g carbs/day (symptom management, gradual/slow weight-loss-etc), with occasional splurge days that went higher. (now hanging out at around 150 total g/day during pregnancy unless instructed to drop it by my MD).

The method that worked the best for me when starting out was to start at about 200g carbs...which I knew from tracking is where i tended to hang-out in my carb intake. I'd take 1-2 weeks to adjust to a carb level, & then when I felt I was tolerating that well, I'd try to drop my daily total down 10-20g/day for the next week.

I.e. Week 1: 200g total carb/day. Week 2: 180g total carb/day. Week 3: 160g total carb a day...at about this point if it got tougher, I might hang out at a certain carb level for an extra week or 2 to let my body adapt.

I think as a result of this method, I didn't get a lot of the side-effects from sudden low carb dieting that some people tend to get. I just figured that my body seems to be a "slow adapter" to about anything I've ever done, that I just intrinsically knew that a stair-step appoint might help me.

Regarding the potential food issues. I highly suggest keeping a "symptom log" in addition to tracking food, including the time that symptoms kick in (the notes field in MFP would be an easy place to track). I discovered I was having a lactose issue by doing this, switched to lactose free milk or milk alternatives...and a lot of issues went away. I'd never noticed having a lactose issue before in my life. I also think adding in a daily probiotic helped with a lot of my stomach issues I was having when going low carb. There's the theory that once you stop "feeding the bad beasts" (i.e. with lots of carbs or sugars), that it takes awhile for your healthy gut flora to re-establish. A good probiotic can help.

• salas2290
    salas2290 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just recently went to a nutritionist and she suggested to only have 15 carbs for breakfast, 15-30 for lunch, 15-30 for dinner and if I need a snack during the day she suggested 15 carbs. She mentioned that these are the recommendations she gives women who are pregnant but also works for women with PCOS who are trying to lose weight. The nutritionist also said that restrictive dieting will not help because it typically leads to binge eating since you won't be eating what you would like. Since starting this low carb management I have been able to lose up to 3 pounds a week and it makes me feel well. Hope this helps.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a place trying to find a more moderate dietary plan focusing on diversity of nutrients, etc. I'm still avoiding most grains, breads, and starches, just because it's easier to control my intake overall that way. I'm finding that it seems to be overall energy overload that hits me harder than carbs alone.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm not full-on low carb. I don't have a great device to track things that specifically, so for me it's all relative. I treat my food intake like I do my finances. I see things I like and I think "nah, I don't need it". And then after skipping five or six purchases/sandwiches, I have one. It's the kind of half-assed will power that becomes a habit, which is the only way I can do things. And it works well for me.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of experimenting. Previously, as in up until the past year or so, it seemed like 100-120 gm/day of carbs was good for me for maintenance. Now it seems like 50-80 works better for me for maintenance (20-50/day if I want to lose weight).
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I liked the weight loss of going below 50 g of carb but had some negative consequences (fatigue, hair shedding.) I suspect it has something to do with my thyroid problems (low T3.) Now I stay in the 50-100 range. Check out the chart on this article:
    https://chriskresser.com/the-3-step-process-to-determining-your-ideal-carbohydrate-intake/
  • Roots33
    Roots33 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When I'm tracking my carbs I usually eat around 120-150 per day. I try to stick with carbs that have a low glycemic load and if I'm having something higher then I will pair it with something low so that the impact isn't as great as it would be on its own. I find that works for me and I'm able to lose weight.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb because I find that I am often fatigued and sluggish if I lower them. I don't really keep track, but after checking my food journal I get between 200-250 grams a day.

I am very active though so that does play into it too.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    For me its either got paleo and eat low carb or go low fat vegan and eat a lot of carbs. I know there both opposites but they both work. Its all about the willpower.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests I eat about 215g a day, and I am usually around that number. I don't feel the need to cut carbs since I don't see that as a long term solution. I've been losing steadily.