What are your riding goals for 2017?

Options
crimsongrey
crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
I thought we could put our goals down to help with motivation during the winter months.
I'll be showing when I head to Aiken, SC in January. The farm I work at has weekly schooling shows where I will ride my horse and others. I'm planning on completing 3 USEA recognized events at Novice while there for 10 weeks, one in Indiana (Penny Oaks) in May and hopefully be qualified for the classic 3-day at IEA in June. It's been my goal for several years to do a classic, but horse and financial issues have kept that from becoming a reality. Hopefully, this will be the year! If all goes as planned, I'd like to do a classic training level in 2018 and prelim in 2019. Huge bucket list goals!

Replies

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Nice goals!
    I've been back at riding for 4 years now and have not done a single show. So I'd like to do one local show next year. I'm normally a eq rider and the horse I ride is not haha so I'm thinking I'd try my hand at a lower level jumper course.

I'd also like to take a dressage lesson. I started in dressage and would like to learn some of the stuff back I've forgotten.

My big one is just to get to a point I can ride without letting my weight/out of shapeless affect me so much. I jump a course and am nearly wheezing currently. My knees are achy from the extra weight and my bum is getting too big for my saddle
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just want to be able to trail ride. I live in the city with a strong equestrian community. It's only a trail that is less than 3 miles long. I am a very timid rider. Used to be very confident. Lost it as I aged.

I had a young mustang that I was training. He was only 13hh. I gained to much weight to keep riding him. Right now he is at a friend's house being used by her grandkids. I don't think I could of gotten him on the trail though. He spooks a lot.

My niece sent me an 18 year old retired brood mare that has walk as her favorite gait. She is pretty level headed, but has only lived the quiet country life. She has been with me a month and is starting to settle in really well. I can ride her in my yard with no spook. On the trail she flinches but nothing bad. She just keeps her head high and looks around. I hired a riding instructor to walk the trail next to me once a week until me and my mare get to know and trust each other.

So my goal for 2017 is to be able to ride the trail solo with no worries or fears.
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I usually write out goals for each year...hmmm. First thing that comes to mind is more trails. I started riding with a friend this fall and we took my two horses to a local bridlepath for a couple hours ride. We have some other trails in mind for spring. I also want to work at home in the arena on some dressage basics. I like to get some exercises from Dressage today articles and practice what I read.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    my riding goals are to get my horse picking up the right lead canter and for my to lose enough weight to feel comfortable to bring him into his first EVER dressage show. Then maybe start balancing him out with small jumps. :) I don't really want to do a whole lot as he is 16 and I want to keep him around for a LONG LONG time.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Increase my confidence over the bigger fences my trainer says I will be doing, no time faults and no stops :)
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    great goals guys! Trails can be extremely challenging on spooky horses and @showjumper I hear you on the confidence over bigger fences. What I have found 100% true for me is that the more fit I am the more confident I am that I can handle a spook (even from my freak of a TB!) and the big jumps start looking more doable. @OMGeeeHorses, having retrained several OTTB's, I completely understand about the right lead issue...they only want to run to the left, same direction they run on the track ;) I can't wait to hear how your first dressage show goes!
    @cessi0909 try doing a cross country course on a galloping horse who is dragging you around. haha! And at many of the one-day shows, we jump cross country right after stadium. I definitely do not want to be one of those riders who looks like they're going to pass out as they cross the finish line!
  • showjumper
    Options
    @crimsongrey can you imagine one of our schooling events last year did cross country then stadium..... rails everywhere!!! Not a bascule anywhere that day! They since changed to dressage and stadium Saturday and xc on Sunday!
  • sandsarita
    sandsarita Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I show Aqha and had an amazing year this year. Placed at the world show in my classes. However I am currently trying to sell that horse and get my coming 4yo going whom o think is going to be even nicer. So it's kinda a transition year with smaller shows.

So I am concentrating on me. My fitness level is ok. Can ride for hours without problems post without stirrups mixed with canter and sit Trot work for 30 minutes. But my weight is out of hand. Have gained 20 pounds in past two years, 45 in past 6. So must get off. Am concentrating on diet eating less processed foods and am doing another half marathon in April. Have done 3 already. Here goes nothing
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    @sandsarita , that's awesome about Worlds! Congrats! And welcome to the group :smile:
  • aconybelle
    aconybelle Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @luckypony71 I just want to hug you, lol! I am the same way, very timid. The older we get, the less we bounce. I have been very lucky to find a few trainers who do not mind taking it slow and being very patient with me. In eventing, It's not unusual to find a trainer who only wants their students to move up quickly through the levels. I've never been comfortable with that, and that's why dressage seemed like a good fit for me. And it has been. But I'm still a timid rider and I envy all those brave riders so much. I remember how I felt as a kid, riding by myself through the woods, galloping through fields, and I wish I could get back to that. But I don't expect to. I'll just be happy with a good test, and a relaxing trail ride.
    So I guess that could be my goals for next year, but I'll be a little more adventurous. I want to do a low level dressage test, and at least one Hunter pace. I remember even a few years ago, doing a dressage test and not being fit enough to finish without being out of breath. The judge even mentioned it to me after the test. She said she noticed how things kind of fell apart towards the end, ugh. I'm also interested in TREC. Not sure if there's anything like that around my area but I'm going to look into it because it sounds great. Do any of you do anything like that?
  • rebecca5731
    rebecca5731 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We have our first official dressage competition on Sunday, goals for next year step up to prelim class... when the n the year may well depend on Sunday and as he's a big boy availability of long arena tests. But I can always do the PYO class.
  • showjumper
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @rebecca5731 Good luck on Sunday, let us know how it goes :)

@moody_equestrian I know all about being timid.... or down right terrified. with time, miles and return to the basics (repeatedly) we have gone from being nervous of a caveletti to 1.10 - 1.15m courses.
  • cessi0909
    Options
    I used to be pretty fearless and I am a lot more timid now - I am 36. About 3 years ago I went over a jump when the horse didn't. Remembering all of my training I tried to get up right away, I didn't know where I was or the horse was. Instead of getting up I just rolled twice in the dirt HAHAHA Seriously, just rolled around cause I could hardly move. Luckily the horse was on the other side of the jump looking at me like I was a crazy person.

But, that fall shook me. It hurt and scared me. I didn't ride much for over a year and now am jumping again and am still timid.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    Count me in with the timid crowd. I've been jumping for years, have ridden 150+ horses (used to work at a sales barn) and am still timid. For the past few years, I haven't been able to get myself to jump higher than about 3'3"ish. Part of it is that my horse and I have not clicked well since I bought him a couple of years ago. Denny Emerson told me to sell him when I was at his camp last spring. My other horse was an amazing jumper who made it so easy, except for when he started stopping. That's when my confidence took a dive. In hindsight, he was stopping because he was in pain :( Anyhow, I've spent a lot of time reading sport psychology books, watching videos and even went to a sport hypnotists to get past it. What I've realized is that I am not so much afraid of getting hurt (although that always sucks), but I hate the feeling of it not being right. Not getting the right distance, being ahead of the horse, getting left behind, etc. Hate it! To add to that, I put too much pressure on myself and compare myself to others. Every single person I've ridden with has told me that I am what is holding me back. When I stop over thinking, I can ride and ride well. Once I'm in my head, forget about it. On the last day of Denny's camp last spring, after several really crappy rides, he came up to me and said as he pointed his finger at me, "You! You can really ride when you want to!". That moment is burned into my brain. I am determined to remember that and to believe it. I'm sick of holding myself back. Fortunately, my horse had the summer off and had some vet care and is now doing so well. We are finally clicking and the jumps are coming easy! I'm feeling really positive about my trip south this winter and feel that we'll make great strides :smile:
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It seems a natural progression that we get more careful the older we get. A built in safety check? I think so.
  • cessi0909
    Options
    I think the built in safety check might be right. Some of my rides when I was younger shook my confidence as well, I rode with one trainer for a while that I swear enjoyed seeing me scared. I was only 9 and needed a confidence boost ride and that is ok sometimes. The Morgan I ride now is a confidence boost ride and I am ok with that.

Man, I would LOVE to do a camp with Denny Emerson!
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    @sandsarita I would love to do AQHA, Palomino and buckskin shows. I am taking a leap of faith one of my goals this summer is to show my 3yo in the buckskin shows. I can only ride in open classes as I'm a trainer, so we will see how it goes. My cremello stallion (9yrs old) isn't able to show in the palomino shows as he needs dark skin and this past summer I officially retired him due to allergies to soybeans as now he has breathing issues. He is a once in a lifetime horse and I'm going to miss my steady eddy and dependable ride.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    @cessi0909 I've been so lucky to have ridden in 2 of Denny's camps. The first one was on a friends horse since mine was lame. It was great, but I always wanted to do it on one of my own horses so last year I took my newer guy. So much fun :) Unfortunately, I don't think Denny is planning to do any more camps. I really like his rider Daryl Kinney, too. She's awesome! I'd highly recommend riding with her if she ever comes to your area.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I plan to do at least one USDF rated show at Training level on my OTTB, at least one Western Dressage schooling show on my SO's gelding, and get a consistent left lead canter on my older boy.

I'm timid enough that I won't jump anything higher than a cavaletti, won't take my youngster out of the arena unless we're with a babysitter, and won't ride (at all!) unless someone is around to call 911 and catch my horse if I come off. I even ask to be on a lunge line with my youngster if it's been a couple days since I've ridden him -- he has some explosive bucks and bucks just for the sheer joy of moving.
  • showjumper
    Options
    @rebecca5731 how did it go yesterday?