Winter Running Gear

Options

Replies

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The issue I think I'm going to have in the cold is having gloves / mittens that are thin enough for me to be able to hold my water bottle and yet thick enough to keep my hands warm. That run on Sat. I cut short because I had nothing covering my hands at all and was on the brink of frostbite. It was only 34 degrees, so just figure what happens when it gets colder. :(

Water bottle belt? Hydration belt? Hydration pack? The only way I hold a water bottle when I run in cold weather is if it's insulated. As for @7lenny7, I agree completely. What everyone is writing it really just a recommendation, but everyone handles temperature and weather differently based on mental and physical tolerances. So, read all of the suggestions, and try out things until you find what works for you.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    daj150 wrote: »
    The issue I think I'm going to have in the cold is having gloves / mittens that are thin enough for me to be able to hold my water bottle and yet thick enough to keep my hands warm. That run on Sat. I cut short because I had nothing covering my hands at all and was on the brink of frostbite. It was only 34 degrees, so just figure what happens when it gets colder. :(

Water bottle belt? Hydration belt? Hydration pack? The only way I hold a water bottle when I run in cold weather is if it's insulated. As for @7lenny7, I agree completely. What everyone is writing it really just a recommendation, but everyone handles temperature and weather differently based on mental and physical tolerances. So, read all of the suggestions, and try out things until you find what works for you.

It isn't as much about the water bottle as it is having dexterity. I need that even with a hydration back or hydration belt. If I can't grab the tube and put it to my lips, then the gloves are still a problem.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It isn't as much about the water bottle as it is having dexterity. I need that even with a hydration back or hydration belt. If I can't grab the tube and put it to my lips, then the gloves are still a problem.

@midwesterner85 have you tried "glommits"? When it gets really cold, below 0F, I'll start using these. I can put a chemical hand warmer in the mitt part to keep my fingers warm, but easily get my fingers out to do whatever it is I need to do. I like to get them with large enough finger holes so that i can wear a thin pair of running gloves underneath so my bare fingers aren't exposed.

product~p~1228C_27~460.1.jpg

• 7lenny7
    edited December 2016
    Options
    daj150 wrote: »
    I wear On Winter Edition. UH-MAZE-BALZ! Handle great, wind and water proof...no complaints....except price.

@daj150 I just bought two pair of On's Cloundventure trail shoe. OMG!! They immediately became my favorite shoes. They feel like I'm wearing a pair of comfy slippers, yet I have plenty of trail feel and responsiveness.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@midwesterner85 have you tried "glommits"? When it gets really cold, below 0F, I'll start using these. I can put a chemical hand warm in the mitt part to keep my fingers warm, but easily get my fingers out to do whatever it is I need to do. I like to get them with large enough finger holes so that i can wear a thin pair of running gloves underneath so my bare fingers aren't exposed.

product~p~1228C_27~460.1.jpg

Oh, yes... I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I used to use these while hunting (have been a few years since I've made it. I'm sure I still have a pair. Mine are blaze orange, so I might look a bit odd, but I suppose I'll be visible also.
  • daj150
    Options
    Orange shows you are running in style.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well, I knew the cold weather was coming, so I bought set of fleece lined pants and top (the really thin ones, like compression clothing) along with some wool/spandex knee socks and a lightweight balaclava. Then all that was worn under my regular shirt/shorts/hat and track suit. It was a balmy 33 this morning and I was comfortably warm, but tomorrow is forecasted to be 18 (that's -8 for all you metric folks) so I will have to see if it's enough or I need to change/add more.

This is why I really hate winter. Getting ready to run should be quick and simple. This is becoming on par with gearing up in a drysuit to scuba dive.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Well, I knew the cold weather was coming, so I bought set of fleece lined pants and top (the really thin ones, like compression clothing) along with some wool/spandex knee socks and a lightweight balaclava. Then all that was worn under my regular shirt/shorts/hat and track suit. It was a balmy 33 this morning and I was comfortably warm, but tomorrow is forecasted to be 18 (that's -8 for all you metric folks) so I will have to see if it's enough or I need to change/add more.

This is why I really hate winter. Getting ready to run should be quick and simple. This is becoming on par with gearing up in a drysuit to scuba dive.

I know what you mean. First, I changed from trails to road running in the evening so I would have time after work and before dark. Now that I'm spending so much time just changing clothes and getting everything on and ready to go, it is nearly dark as I get out the door.

I might or might not make it out this evening. Haven't pulled out those mitten gloves yet, but will spend my lunch trying to find them. Right now, it is 22 F, but wind chill of 9 F. That's -6 C, wind chill of -13 C. It isn't going to get better as the month goes on, so if I'm going to get my miles in, I should head out today.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I hear ya. However, last night I was feeling too lazy to get all geared up (tights, base layer shirt, jacket, two pairs of gloves, hat, socks, shoes, sports bra, Garmin and don't forget the reflective bands and headlamp), so I just decided to use my treadmill. 5 minutes into the dreadmill run, I remembered why putting on all the gear is worth it. :)
  • silverfiend
    Options
    Lol, i hate the treadmill too!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than the dreadmill!!
  • 7lenny7
    Options

A prime example of why what works for some may not work for others. If I put all those clothes on at 33F I'd be a hot, sweaty mess.

It should be about 4F wind chill when I go run tonight. I'll be wearing:

ASICS Gel Nimbus (not yet cold enough to duct tape the uppers)
    mid-weight Isowool socks (also used for summer trail running)
    light weight tights (though it's getting close to be cold enough for my SmartWool tights
    wind briefs
    thin long sleeve base layer
    mid-weight long sleeve running shirt
    super thin wind jacket
    thin gloves with "glommits" over them
    very thin balaclava
    buff around my neck
    hat over my balaclava

10 minutes into the run I'll be removing the hat and unzipping my jacket half way. 20 minutes in I'll be removing the buff and pulling up the balaclava to function as a hat.

• silverfiend
    Options
    wow. You sound like a guy I saw this evening. Running in shorts, a light top and a hat. I looked at the temp gauge when I passed him and it read 36 (before any windchill). I was just thinking, I would be freezing to death with so little on.

I think we all have a preferred temp to be at. I hate the cold, and I'm usually very comfortable when everyone else is sweating and complaining of the heat.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I ran yesterday in 30 degree, WC about 18 in
    Sports bra
    Long sleeve medium weight tech shirt
    Long sleeve light weight half zip
    Cuddle duds long undies
    Fleece lined running tights
    Low cut socks
    Shoes
    Medium weight running jacket
    Hat
    Fleece mittens

Mittens come off about 1.25mi mark, hat off about 1.5mi and zipper outer zipper down halfway at about a mile. Everything stayed nicely warm and comfortable, except my cheeks and lips - I forgot my lip goo AGAIN. They're just going to dry up and fall off next time I forget.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    7 km with the Dedicated Winter Warriors 5 runners and 5 headlamps bobbing up and down along the trails, it's cold enough that the snow actually squeaks with every step. It makes for quite the racket when you have 5 runners in a gang - hard to carry on a conversation. One of the petite young ladies had the look of "WTF am I doing" while sitting in her car putting on her glove(s) and hat(s). We weren't the only ones out on the Trails - Dog walkers and other runners coming from the other trails.
    Another Chilly one- although looks like a heatwave for Sunday l9gyk5rh6u36.png

December Running Goal 140km
    12/01–0.0 km –140km – 0 km – YTD 1210.5 km
    12/03–8.0 km –132km – 8 km
    12/04–5.0 km –127km – 13 km
    12/05–12.0 km –115km – 25 km
    12/06–7.0 km –108km – 32 km – YTD 1242.5 km

exercise.png

Knee High Smart Wool Socks
    Saxx Undies - Protect the o:)
    Gore Wind blocker Mid-Weight Tights
    Light Weight Wind Blocker Athletic Pants
    Light Weight Long Sleeve Tech shirt
    Mid Weight Long Sleeve Zipper Tech Shirt
    Running Shell - Pit Zips and Back Zip
    Neck Buff
    Ear Flap Toque
    Ski Gloves
    Mizuno Wave Ascend Trail shoes

Had to Pull the Front Zipper and Top part of the side zippers after 2km
  • silverfiend
    edited December 2016
    Options
    -22 ?!?!? wow, I thought my run this morning at 17 (-8C) was bad. I need to get new gloves, these lightweight cotton ones aren't effective enough at this temp. The UA balaclava kept my face from freezing but that thing was soaked when I took it off. It's a miracle of science that it was providing any warmth at all. Maybe need to look at just knitted wool face and neck protector.

The corners of my eyes were iced up when I got back home, but everything else was decent enough.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    This morning's Run:
    8 miles
    19 degrees F
    12mph NNW windswith gusts to 30
    Snowing

This morning's gear:
    Base Layer: US ColdGear mock turtleneck
    Jacket: Asic Thermopolis 1/2 zip jacket
    Outer layer: Brooks LSD jacket (for wind)
    Pants: Nike running pants
    Socks: Cabela's wool socks
    Shoes: Saucony Xoduc 6.0
    Gloves: Scott ski gloves
    Hat: off the shelf knit hat
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    This morning's run:
    11 miles
    -5F warming to -3F
    3-5mph WSW winds
    Blowing snow

This morning's gear:
    Base Layer: US ColdGear mock turtleneck
    Mid Layer: Mizumo half zip base layer
    Jacket: C9 hooded sweatshirt
    Outer layer: Brooks LSD jacket (for wind)
    Pants: Saucony Siberius pants with thermal underwear under there
    Socks: Cabela's wool socks and REI wool socks
    Shoes: Brooks Glycerin 13
    Gloves: Scott ski gloves with hand warmers in
    Hat: off the shelf knit hat

This outfit worked pretty darn well, though my fingers got cold and I had to pull them into the gloves further for the last mile and a half. I had a balaclava on, but ended up pulling it down as a gator, at which point, all the condensation on it made it freeze solid. All in all a great outfit, despite having to take a hair dryer to the balaclava so I could get it off right away.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Dropped $100 on the Nike element jacket. This morning it was mid 20s and I wore a short sleeve shirt and that jacket; ended up unzipping to mid-chest to avoid overheating. Wish I had this last week when I was wearing 3-4 layers for single digit temps.
  • daj150
    Options
    Nice buy! As mentioned before, once you finally find good gear, you are set. My only issue is that Nike gloves and cap I used to use that wore out are no longer sold and I can't find them anywhere. I have since found alternatives, but I now buy a second of anything that I find to be a "perfect fit". Well, assuming I can afford a second one, lol.