Mobile handling while cycling in winter

Options
Hi, at the moment I'm looking for a most suitable solution allowing my family to track me while being out cycling. Before that happens though I think the best idea is to take my mobile with me and enabling one of many GPS apps serving such purpose.
What I'm worried about is actually how to handle the mobile device so it doesn't gather any moisture which could drastically shorten its life-time. As it is a pretty expensive device obviously I'd like to avoid such scenario.
Could anyone please advice on where to store my mobile while cycling (pocket, bag etc.), how to protect it from low temperatures? I wonder if others have any experiences in this area.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Put it in a sealed ziplock bag. If you're feeling spendy, get a waterproof case to hold it on your handlebars and use it as a map and speedometer.

Strava is popular and free, and will let your family track you while you ride. On the other end of the spectrum, so will a Garmin, which is not free. Both require you to carry your phone to be tracked.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Strava live tracking, known as Beacon, is a paid premium feature. I use the Garmin one though. There are a bunch of phone ones for Android and iOS though. Get an arm sport-case for your phone, unless your phone is gigantic, in which case, Ziploc bag in a pouch works perfectly.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Life 360 is an app which lets others track your movement, as does the iOS app 'Find my Friends'.

I have used the Garmin feature before, but because I'm out in the sticks, the mobile signal is up and down like a lady of the night's drawers, so kind useless really...
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I just keep my phone in my frame bag. My bags are mostly waterproof, so it works just fine. I don't really worry about tracking. I just always tell someone exactly where I'll be riding.
  • couch_kartoffel
    couch_kartoffel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the hints. For a moment I'll stick to my mobile + app solution. I hope low temperatures won't cause water gathering and short-circuit at the end :)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    my phone's basically just in a ziplock bag, in my jersey pocket - I try and source reasonably waterproof phones though - currently a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active ( IP67 and MIL-STD-810G certified). Don't use it for logging or any of that crap though - that's what the Garmin's for - it's just there as a phone, and occasionally a camera/video. As for live-tracking - not much point, there's nobody who gives a flying *kitten* where I am anyway!

• iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep zip lock bag and endomondo app (free) :)
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    As for live-tracking - not much point, there's nobody who gives a flying *kitten* where I am anyway!

That's not true... When you 'went missing' after your 'episode' people were looking out for you all over that place. I was a few hours away from jumping in the car and coming down to see what was going on! ;)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    As for live-tracking - not much point, there's nobody who gives a flying *kitten* where I am anyway!

That's not true... When you 'went missing' after your 'episode' people were looking out for you all over that place. I was a few hours away from jumping in the car and coming down to see what was going on! ;)

I know, I read the comments and all the various posts - had me in bits for about 2 hours the day I got home...