Christmas surprise for my East Coast Friend

Options
Byronic_Ryu
Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
A couple days after Thanksgiving, I received an email from a friend who had recently moved back to the East Coast for college. He asked me how I was doing and how my Thanksgiving went. I told him how I had a rough start to my Thanksgiving as I was struggling with my gender dsyphoria caused by getting my menstrual cycle but it later turned into a nice occasion. In the reply, I asked how his Thanksgiving went.

He gave me a really sad response. Even though, he had a good visit with his mother and sister while he started on HRT last year, he was not invited to Thanksgiving. It wasn't like his family lived far away. They lived close by. His Catholic father (and he suspects some extended family members) were very upset about his sexuality and gender transition (HRT and surgery). They told him not to come to Thanksgiving dinner. Unfortunately, he didn't know any of his classmates very well and wasn't able to get an invitation from friends. He stated how he felt completely unwanted and literally had two mint Oreos for Thanksgiving.

It really crushed me to hear that. It amazes me that there are non LGBTQIA people who believe that the prejudice and hatred of LGBTQIA people in the United States is low or almost non existent or "not as bad". Years ago, I met my friend at a transitional youth (16-24 years old) LGBTQIA program. He and I were both homeless and most of the other people at the group were too. On one hand, I was so glad to meet people who I could show a side of myself that I normally cannot (trans, bi, homeless, disabled, sex trafficking and abuse survivor) but it was also incredibly depressing to see how many of the youth were on drugs, engaging in self destructive behaviors (like having unprotected sex), been beaten because of anti trans and/or anti gay bigotry, and discarded/disowned from family.

I am in a better place than I use to be. I am not the richest person but I do try to donate stuff (like clothes and good quality food) to these places in hopes it will make someone's life easier. As for my friend, I was thinking of getting him a couple of those boxes you see in those unboxing videos (I'm addicted to watching these) for Christmas in case his family also decide to not want any contact on that Holiday. I was thinking of one Hero Box (not sure which box yet) and a MunchPak, that way he will have something eat and stuff to have.

https://www.superherostuff.com/pages/herobox.aspx
https://munchpak.com/

What do you guys think of the gift ideas?

Oh and if you can, if you know someone in the community or a shelter or program that could really use some random act of kindness, if you can, please donate some of your time (it doesn't have to be a lot, maybe send a card with a nice message inside?) to someone in need. It could really make a difference.

Replies

• tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That is very kind of you to want to make a difference in someone's life who is feeling alienated. The boxes look really cool! I've never heard of these types of things before but I'm sure you will friend will love the gifts and the sentiment. It's so hard for me to understand how gender and/or sexuality could get in the way of a family accepting one of their own. It's so sad. It's great to hear that you have been able to rise above your circumstances and be a role model within the community! Bravo!

With the recent election results in the US and some of the hateful that's have been committed against the LGBT+ community as well as other vulnerable groups it feels really good to give back whether it's time or charitable donations. My partner and I have been doing some research on which charities we want to donate to this season and it's been incredibly difficult because there are so many worthy ones and so many people in need.
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words. It is very sad that the youth get tossed out and end up in a really bad place. I hope one day, they will be able to find their forever family. I wish I could do more volunteer work but I only have so many spoons to take care of myself, let alone any to spare to take care of others. You are right about having a difficult time picking which charities to help out because so many do terrific work.