Join Me in 20 Weeks of Strength Building

Options
DDHFree
DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
Looking for a few motivated women to join me in a more focused group within this already amazing group. I’ve done this before and had such great success but lost my way with 3 vacations this years and other major life changes … but of course they are all just excuses. Regardless, I need a restart. This whole group is amazing so I am not trying to distract from the monthly thread. Again, this thread is just a bit more focused with an end date, goals, and maybe just a handful of people.

With that said, this smaller group of ladies will work toward whatever fitness goals they want to achieve for 20 weeks. We will count UP to 20 weeks because of course the journey will not end there. Here is what to expect:
  1. Before starting, you will post your individual training program that you will be following and your personal goals
  2. Then each day or week or whatever your plan requires, you will post your workout progress (calories goals if you like)
  3. Every 4 weeks we will share our success to help motivate the group and to stay accountable. It can be combination of the following:
    ........ Inches loss ........ Fat loss ........ Progress Pictures (such as same bicep pose every 4 weeks or stomach or full body or no Picture) ........ Your overall assessment of the 4 weeks (if you like)

I really enjoyed this the last time I did it with 3 to 5 other wonderful ladies. Hope at least one of you will join me. I will be starting on Sunday, Dec 18th. I do not want to wait until after the holidays. I will post my program and goals before end of day Friday. Lastly, if you want to join and make some different suggestions, feel free.

Replies

• DDHFree
    Options
    So looks like I have no takers this time around. :) I know it's supposed to be a sad face but I am not sad. Everyone has their own way for what works for them -- so I will do it solo.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Plan: My own tweaked version of A Workout Routine’s Beginner Program.
    Start Date: 12/17/2007
    End Date: 05/06/2017
    Goals:
    1. To eat a 20% caloric deficit + workout calories
    2. To eat at least 60 grams of protein daily
    3. To lose 25 lbs of fat
    4. To maintain current muscle mass
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile: I'd like to join you. I've been MIA from this group for several months but am ready to get back to it. My fitness journey is not linear, but I am ready to influence it in the right direction again after a very busy few months with vacation, work travel, ect where I have eaten whatever I wanted and not worked out at all. My gym is dusty and I've gained 15#

Plan: SL5x5
    Start Date: 12/17/2007
    End Date: 05/06/2017
    Goals:
    1. lose 25# of fat
    2. stick to a low carb diet
    3. Follow hunger cues, and only eat when hungry
    4. Improve mobility and be rid of the pain in my leg
    5. Strengthen my back and hips (injury prevention)

I have chronic pain in my left leg that started in my hip as tightness when I was lifting. This is one of the contributing factors for me quitting lifting, and I have been getting massages to help with the pain. The pain has migrated down to my shin, and is effected by the sciatic nerve. I have been doing stretches targeting my piraformous muscle. The pain is real, and has effected my life because I can't stand for more than 10 minutes without pain, and gave to move around.

Glad to join you :smile:
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I am interested in joining, but I have a lot of holiday travel coming up right before and after Christmas, which will impact my ability to do my workouts. Can I start when I get back home, or does it matter if I won't be able to be as consistent in the particular plan (SL 5x5)?

Also, Kirstie--have you tried a foam roller for your pyraformis and IT band? It hurts like a mother but is the only way to stretch the IT (outside of the thigh) band.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Hi Kirstie, I am excited that you will accompany me. I hate that you are dealing with chronic pain. You listed some very serious but also motivating goals. I will be pulling for you to see improvements in all the areas that you mentioned.

Amyinthetard... yes feel free to join us after Christmas. My main intent is to have a few TRULY committed people to share and keep each other going for these 20 weeks.

Let's do it ladies. I will likely post on strength training days -- but sometimes a little more.

• rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    This is great! I went in 3 vacations this year as well and it really threw off my game. I put on 20lbs!
    Plan SL 5x5, run at least 2-3 days a week
    Start Date 12-19 end 5-8
    Goals
    lose st least 20lbs
    Eat mostly whole unprocessed food
    Only eat when hungry
    Save wine and chocolate for special occasions

I have been struggling the last few years with losing and maintaining so really appreciate any support I can get!
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'd like to join too. I tried SL back in May, hurt my back on the pendlay rows and had to stop. I've started/stopped a few other routines (Live Fit, Strong Curves) since then, but want to go back to SL and build up my strength for the next 6months-year. I plan on adding hip thrusts and some other glute exercises to help strengthen and hopefully lessen the low back issues I've been having.

Plan: SL5x5 & copycat Orangetheory treadmill workouts

Start Date: 12/20/2016
    End Date: 06/01/2017 (maybe longer)

Goals:
    1. Lose 15lbs#
    2. Follow IIFYM macros
    3. Do 5 unassisted pull ups
    4. Go to gym minimum 5 days per week
    5. Do not weigh yourself more than once a week. Do not get caught up on numbers. Do not over analyze.

Looking forward to doing this with all of you!
  • Kirstie155
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Good morning, all!
    Today is my wedding anniversary, so over the weekend I indulged in some keto cheesecake and ate more steak and shrimp than one typically does in one sitting :smile: Planning to get back to moderation today.
    Starting weight
    12/18: 204#
    End goal:179#
    Yesterday I did a lot of stretching for my leg and hip, and have a massage scheduled for Friday. Pain was so bad yesterday evening, I had to use my stool to sit and cook :confounded:

@amyinthetardis1231 I have tried foam rolling, but not sure that I do it correctly! Thanks for the advice.
    I am planning to do 5x5 and walk on the treadmill before hubby gets home tonight, but it all depends on timing...it is my anniversary after all! If I cant squeeze it in after work today, tomorrow for sure. Will post stats. My 5x5 will be starting at bar weight since it has been so long since I lifted, and I stick to bar weight until I feel confident my form is correct.

ETA: @sbl1881 I like your #5, and want to steal that one. I am a serial weigher when I am on track, and weigh up to 3xa day when losing weight. When Im not (see last few months) I hide from the scale. I dont want to get caught up in numbers, either.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    We have some great goal ladies. Let's make them happen. Alright so looks like we have
    1. DDHFree
    2. Amyinthetard
    3. Kirstie
    4. Rachael
    5. SBL
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 1
    Routine: Workout A

Took things very slow since it has been awhile. Will probably stay at this weight for the first 2 weeks as I re-acclimate to lifting.

Squats
    33 to 63 lbs 6x4
    Started with empty bar. My max before was only 82

Bench Press
    33 to 553: 61.6 lbs 6x4
    Started with empty bar. My max before was only 64.

Tricep Pull downs
    35 lbs × 10x4 sets

Looking forward to getting through this first week -- especially eating well again. So far so good.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Happy to be joining this! I'll probably lurk this thread for the next couple weeks and consider my official start date for the challenge to be January, since holiday travel plans will muck up my usual 3x/week schedule.

Plan: Stronglifts 5x5
    Start Date: 1/2/17
    End Date: 6/1/17 (makes it an even year since I started eating lower carb)
    Goals:
    1. Consistently eat low carb/high fat at least 80% of the time (below 75g carbs daily)
    2. Workout at least 3x/week consistently
    3. Lose 25 lb of fat
    4. To maintain current muscle mass

I'll add a #5 if/when I think of one. For now, I feel good about these goals.
  • rachel5576
    Options
    I did my strong lifts 5x5 and warm up
    Squats 115
    Bench 75
    Row 80
    Also burned some calories by dancing.
    For me the hardest part will be sticking to healthy eating. The first few days are tough. Then it usually goes well for 2-3 weeks. Trying to mentally prepare for the long haul. We can do this!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Great way to start Rachael. I am feeling a little anxiety about the eating also. I am trying to get back to eating just natural sugars. It's really hard as I am so addicted to the standard sugar right now. I really regret giving it try back in May on my first of 3 vacations. Each time I give it up, I later convince myself that now I am fit and I can eat just a little bit. But rather, it turns into a full blown food addictions. Moderation does not work for me in this category and I have to accept it. I will get there but right now I am mainly focused on calorie limit and protein needs. You are right, we got this!!! We will be so thankful when spring gets here that we stuck with it.
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    Did not get a work out in yesterday (anniversary) and today I think is going to be a streatching day as my leg is throbbing and I dont even want to drive home becase driving hurts (it's my driving leg.)Not for lack of wanting to though!

I did not weigh myself today, and followed my hunger cues and skipped lunch because I simply wasnt hungry. I think that counts as 2 wins for the day :)
  • rachel5576
    Options
    We're off to a good start ladies! Let's keep doing what we can even if it's only little changes. Every bit helps! Off to do my 5x5. Have. Great day!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 1
    Routine: Workout B

My 2nd session. Woohoo!!! I just need to get use to doing this again.

Deadlifts
    53 to 73 lbs 4X6
    Started with just 53 lbs and stayed at 73lbs for the remaining sets. My max before was 115 lbs. I have not lost all the strength but making a conscious effort to keep weight low the first week and re-acclimate myself focusing on form.

Overhead Press
    33 lbs 4x6
    Started and stayed with empty bar. My max before was only 46 lbs. I was never strong on this exercise but I love what it did for my shoulders last time.

Inverted Rows
    Body weight 4X6

Let's do this ladies!!!
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @DDHFree Is it still possible to join in on this? Or is the hand full already? Kind of a light weight thus far but keeping at it.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Klove, yes please join us. I think we will declare our final handful on January 1st. Glad you are joining.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Now for my unfortunate news. I went to the dentist on Friday for what I thought would be a simple filling. Instead was sent to oral surgeon where I had the tooth completely extracted. Now I am must forego my fitness routine but should be able to resume in 1 week. I was so excited about starting again. But at least it's just one week as long as it heals as expected. I am still going to watch my calories but I am going to restart my week because I did not get to complete my first week of strength training. I hope we are all getting our mishaps out the way so we can get down to business. I refuse to let anything stop me on this journey.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Now for my unfortunate news. I went to the dentist on Friday for what I thought would be a simple filling. Instead was sent to oral surgeon where I had the tooth completely extracted. Now I am must forego my fitness routine but should be able to resume in 1 week. I was so excited about starting again. But at least it's just one week as long as it heals as expected. I am still going to watch my calories but I am going to restart my week because I did not get to complete my first week of strength training. I hope we are all getting our mishaps out the way so we can get down to business. I refuse to let anything stop me on this journey.

Bad news at the dentist is the pits! Best wishes for a quick and easy recovery. See you at the (re)starting line in January!