What do you do?

Options
cessi0909
cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
Is your job with horses or something else?

I manage content for three of Western Unions FB channels. I have been there about 5 months now and really enjoy it. The company is amazing and so is my team.

Replies

• showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the *new* position!

I am an Accountant
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I had been doing horses full time until my husband got a new job and we relocated about a year ago. I needed to take a break away from the horse world for awhile and get my bearings in the new area so I took a seasonal job at a golf course over the summer. Now I'm just waiting to start my job working for a trainer this winter. My hubby and I are trying to get a farm in the spring/summer so I can start up a new lesson/training/sales program :)
  • cessi0909
    Options
    I had been doing horses full time until my husband got a new job and we relocated about a year ago. I needed to take a break away from the horse world for awhile and get my bearings in the new area so I took a seasonal job at a golf course over the summer. Now I'm just waiting to start my job working for a trainer this winter. My hubby and I are trying to get a farm in the spring/summer so I can start up a new lesson/training/sales program :)

Very awesome! I've always wanted to open my own program
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm an Reg. Nurse. Coming up on 30 years of practice.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    @cessi0909 It's hard work with little to no pay, but since I haven't had a "real" job in so many years, I just cannot see myself having one. Believe it or not, I was actually planning on going to medical school (was even accepted), but decided to follow my horse dreams instead. There was a day when I had a great ride on a horse owned by a doctor who paid me to ride. As I was excitedly telling her about how well he did over a course of 3'9" jumps that day, she started crying. She was upset that she was working so many hours and didn't have the chance to do what I was doing with her horse. That moment literally changed the course of my life. I realized that I had 4 doctors paying me to ride their horses. I did not want to pay someone else to ride my horses. I've never regretted my decision.
  • cessi0909
    Options
    @crimsongrey I agree, it is sad when I see people who spend a ton of money on their horse but are hardly ever able to ride cause of work. My job does allow me the time to go ride and I am super close to the barn, so it is a plus. I also have 3 kids and the scheduling of it all can be a lot sometimes but it works out.
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Being paid to ride would be a bonus. My trainer talked about that scenario. He said he gets to ride great horses he couldn't afford and gets paid to do it! Not a bad deal.
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm a receptionist for a medical facility and I travel between 4 clinics. I train horses for other people (including a doctor) and also give riding lessons. During the summer I take a trailer load of lesson kids and show all summer long, along with other families who meet us at the shows, so I can help them also. My boys are grown and once they left the nest we built an indoor arena and now my kids are lesson kids. My husband is a farmer, so he is used to long hours and late nights and I wouldn't be able to do what I do without his help. We also own a stallion and my husband takes care of the breeding schedule. I also put on natural horsemanship clinics to teach people how to become partners with their horses and it is so rewarding to see the changes and progress they have made by the end of the clinic.
  • aconybelle
    aconybelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm an x-ray tech. There are a lot of medical people here!
    Since I've moved, I'm semi-retired and love it.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am a budget analyst for the local municipality. I like being a government employee. Have always been in accounting so the budget area is slightly different, but a fun challenge.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am a Gr.3 teacher. I have to admit that I spend most of my money on my horses, but at the moment they are more like therapists to me. The riding part is not so important anymore. After school I go straight to my horses and it is like taking a vacation. They keep me sane!
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    @Kidostud , welcome to the group! I'm right there with ya...I'm horse poor, but my boys are my therapists and best friends. They keep me (mostly) sane and give me purpose. I'm lucky to have a supportive hubby who understands that a happy wife = a happy life :wink:
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my hubby is not a rider himself, but super supportive and has learnt a lot about horses through the years.