MS and Sat Fats and Wahls and...

Options
emperson1
emperson1 Posts: 2 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm new to MFP, hoping to track my foods with it. I'm recently dx'd and have no disability yet so I'm quite active (as I was before MS) and not too unhappy with my weight. I'm more interested in dieting in a way to battle MS. I've read about Stark's research with saturated fat and heard a bit about Wahl's protocol too. Does anyone follow any particular "MS Diet" and can share their experience?
-E

Replies

• kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I see you've had no response yet; I am just starting out ... reading Terry Wahls' book. Both my naturopathic doctor and a friend with ms have recommended the Wahls protocol vs. the other options. I've previewed all the diets and have decided that some type of paleo is the one I'm most likely to stick with .. I have concerns about the low "good fat" diets.

Wondering if you're still active, and whether you started one of the diets .. I'm curious how you have found it.

K.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I read Dr. Wahls' book. I've experimented with it a little bit. Last fall I went gluten-free and dairy-free for about 6 weeks and aimed for the 9 cups of fruits/veg per day. I didn't really notice any benefits.

Three months ago I started a ketogenic diet and have had some good results from that in terms of weight loss, energy level, reduced joint inflammation, reduced acid reflux and other GI problems. This way of eating already has some overlap with Wahls, but now that I've gotten to goal weight I might experiment with incorporating some more of her recommendations.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried any diet changes but am hoping to- I have the Wahls book and have read some of Stark's principles. I saw Terry Wahls speak and she was very inspiring.

Let me know if you have started anything and had any successes!

My stats- diagnosed in 2003 and really doing pretty well. No disability, but some cognitive changes (ADD like symptoms), and more fatigue. I'm doing well 13 years into it :) Hang in there!
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Paleo/Keto way of eating is what's working for me. I'm not a believer of low good fat diets. You need good fats for your body to function.
  • bluebeltwo
    bluebeltwo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't have have MS, I have another autoimmune disease called SLE, Systemic Lupus, and my brother has MS. There are a lot of autoimmune diseases in my family. I have been Paleo/AIP (and I tried Wahl's too) for a few years and managed to go into full remission and I've been off all meds for one year. I am now doing Keto for further healing. Feel free to add me!